Can anyone make out the mother's name?

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
sandyman720
Rookie
Rookie

Can anyone make out the mother's name?

Post by sandyman720 »

Hi All-

I have attached 3 copies of the birth of Pellegrina Dell'Anno from 1822. The father is Nicola but I cannot make out a mother's name.

Any ideas? If there are any other facts on there that would help me please feel free to let me know!

Thanks!

Matt
Attachments
Pellegrina Dell'Anno.JPG
Pellegrina Dell'Anno 3.JPG
Pellegrina Dell'Anno 2.JPG
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Can anyone make out the mother's name?

Post by erudita74 »

Her first name is Gaetana. It would help to know what town this record is from to decipher her surname.
Erudita
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

I agree with Gaetana being the first name. I've also been trying to work out the name of the town. Also, if you have an index or two saved that would be helpful.

Angela :)
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

In looking at the name of the parish in the record-S. Felicessimo, there is a parish with the name of S. Felicissimo in Forino, which is now in Avellino Province. If that is the town name in this record, then possibly the mother's surname is a form of the surname Discepolo.

Erudita
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Hi Erudita
I'm with you on the town being Forino. That's what it looks like to me in these images. I don't know what the surname is. I know it ends in what looks like "olo", not so sure about the other letters at the minute. Off on a coastal hike in a minute :D :D :D so will look again later.
sandyman720
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sandyman720 »

Sorry just saw that you all replied. Thank you.

Yes the town is Forino. I do not have the index copied.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Glad Angela and I have the correct town. I'm still having trouble though with the mother's surname. Maybe Angela is having better luck???
Erudita
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

erudita74 wrote: Maybe Angela is having better luck???
Erudita
No, I'm not, I admit to, somewhat sheepishly. I fail to observe any consistency in the way that the clerk, who has written the record, has formed his letters. It would be so helpful if there was uniformity to them. To me the first letter looks like it might be an "O" rather than a "D", going by the way it is slanted - or maybe not. Oh well. Another mystery for us! I'll keep coming back to it.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

I am reading Orciuolo. :-)

T.
sandyman720
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sandyman720 »

Can anyone make out the age of the father Nicola?

What does it say about Nicola's hometown? Also what are the other words along with the mother's name?

Thank you all!
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

sandyman720 wrote:Can anyone make out the age of the father Nicola?

What does it say about Nicola's hometown? Also what are the other words along with the mother's name?

Thank you all!
Nicola was 36. It just says that he was living in Forino, nothing else. It doesn't give his place of birth that I can see. After Gaetana's name, all I can read at the minute, is that she was his legitimate wife.

erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

next line after his legitimate wife-

da esso dichiarante.. (then I don't know, but at the end of the next line is the beginning of the word domiciliata and then the next line is the rest of that word followed by "in detto comune d'anni trenta"

Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

I think before the word "domiciliata" is the feminine form of the same word which appears for the father's occupation. It looks to me like the word campagnolo, but I see a u in it like in the Spanish spelling campagnuolo. That would translate to peasant or countryman, if that is what the word is.

The handwriting is very spread out, which is just as bad as it being compressed together.

Erudita
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

erudita74 wrote:I think before the word "domiciliata" is the feminine form of the same word which appears for the father's occupation. It looks to me like the word campagnolo, but I see a u in it like in the Spanish spelling campagnuolo. That would translate to peasant or countryman, if that is what the word is.

The handwriting is very spread out, which is just as bad as it being compressed together.

Erudita
Great catch Erudita! I believe you are correct. Possibly the spelling "campagnuolo" is dialect spelling. It seems a lot of the Southern dialects have Spanish influence? Hopefully with more research, the poster will find other children born to this couple, the records will be clearer, and the mother's surname will be confirmed. Have a lovely day Erudita.
Angela :D
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

I don't know about the word being dialect but possibly so. I agree, Angela, that another record with the same parents will need to be found to confirm everything, including the mother's surname. I think T's suggestion though is a good one.

Erudita