Spano surname

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
irishize3

Spano surname

Post by irishize3 »

I am researching my father's side of the family tree. I only found him 2 years ago and he is of little to no help beyond names and I have found out other information through census records and such. Now, I have read MANY posts in this forum and maybe someone can or cannot help me. This is where I have gotten stuck at in my lineage.
My Great-Grandfather's name according to census records and my father's memory is Christopher Spano (middle name unknown) and Great-Grandmothers name is Anna (middle and maiden name unknown). He is from Italy and she was born in Tunis(according to census 1910,1920,1930). It is listed that he came here in 1907 and she in 1908. I can find NOTHING for him at Ellis Island but somewhere came across a different spelling of his first name, Cristofaro. It may have been a record in Ellis Island, now not sure. Some of those records are hard to read. Now, Anna and he had two children born before coming to America and I found one listing of an Anna with 2 children but official document had no name but said they came from Palo del Colle. Once they arrived in New York they lived there and together had I believe five more children. I do know she could speak both French and Italian and then English obviously because she could speak to her American born grandchildren that could only speak english.
Now, my father said my Great Grandfather died before my father was born which was in 1944. So, there is no SSDI entry for him. I can only assume that he died in NY, probably Queens or Brooklyn, since that is where my Great-Grandmother was and my father was born and raised. My GGrandmother died in 1966 and my Grandfather (her youngest son) died the same year. His name was Paul and was estranged from all his family including his wife and children. I was told that he died in Maryland and his cause of death was not known by the person that told me. He was 46.
My question is this, How do I find out more information on my GGrandfather, cemetary or anything. I have no information from his decendants as they are scattered all over the country and most that would know are deceased. I am new in finding my biological father but have strong family desire for knowledge of those I knew nothing about.
What ways can I go about finding out my GGrandmothers maiden name? More about my GGrandfather before 1910 census records? and how about maybe my Grandfather, Paul, that was estranged?
Thanks for any help or if none thanks for reading.
Sue
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Spano surname

Post by ricbru »

Your Cristofaro Spano,line 8, left on 1908, see his wife's name is Anna Maggiore

Anna Maggiore, line 27, born in Tunisi, left on 1908, is reaching her husband Spanò Cristoforo

He was born in Paceco, she was born in Tunisi

For civil record in Paceco write to:

Comune
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Via Nunzio Agate 12
91027 Paceco (TP)
Italy

sportellounico@ancitel.it

or

Archivio di Stato di Trapani

or rent microfilm about Pacecoto FHL (mormon church)

I hope it helps, bye Riccardo :lol:
irishize3

Post by irishize3 »

Wow! I can't thank you enough. I don't know for sure what I am going to do with this new found information but right now I am getting over the chills I got receiving this information. I will take it as far as I can. You have no idea how much this means to me, or maybe you do. By the way, that was really quick.
Thanks again
Sue
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

U.S. World War II Army Enlistment Records, 1938-1946 Record
about Paul A Spano
Name: Paul A Spano
Birth Year: 1921
Race: White, citizen
Nativity State or Country: New York
State: New York
County or City: Queens

Enlistment Date: 21 Nov 1942
Enlistment State: New York
Enlistment City: New York City
Branch: Branch Immaterial - Warrant Officers, USA
Branch Code: Branch Immaterial - Warrant Officers, USA
Grade: Private
Grade Code: Private
Term of Enlistment: Enlistment for the duration of the War or other emergency, plus six months, subject to the discretion of the President or otherwise according to law
Component: Selectees (Enlisted Men)
Source: National Guard in Federal Service, after 3 months of Discharge

Education: 1 year of high school
Civil Occupation: Laboratory Technician, Motion Picture or Shipping Clerk
Marital Status: Married
Height: 67
Weight: 127

1930 CENSUS LIST THE FOLLOWING:
Christopher Spano, age 57, birth Italy, age at marriage 27, immigration 1907, is NOT naturalized at this time.

Anna, age 48, birth Tunis, age at marriage 17, immigration 1908,
also NOT naturalized.
all the following children born in New York,
Peter, age 19
Thomas, age 17
Antoinette, age 11
Paul, age 9
They are homeowners in Queens county, Springfield Gardens township on Apple street.

Use the names and place of residence to pull US documents, birth, marriage and death. Locate the nearest church and search there for records as well.
wldspirit
irishize3

Post by irishize3 »

Thank You so Much! This is the most information I've gotten on my grandfather since my search began almost 2 years ago.
Thank you for the quick response. At least I know that I am not the only one that loves this kind of stuff. I will keep on plugging. Thank you again.
Sue
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

here is a web site guide for using/locating church records,

http://home.att.net/~local_catholic/

glad to have helped....
wldspirit
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

ricbru wrote:Your Cristofaro Spano,line 8, left on 1908, see his wife's name is Anna Maggiore

Anna Maggiore, line 27, born in Tunisi, left on 1908, is reaching her husband Spanò Cristoforo

Comune
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Via Nunzio Agate 12
91027 Paceco (TP)
Italy

or

That one was the second page of Anna Maggiore
This is the first pageof manifest ship list, see line 27

If she got married at age of 17, see in the Church records of Paceco the years 1898/1899. She was born around 1882

I found a couple married in Tunisi with the name Maggiore (probably her parents).Compare with the her marriage application record and marriage certificate

LISTE DES MARIAGES CATHOLIQUES EN TUNISIE DE 1801 À 1949

MAGGIORE Antoine marry MESSINA Angèle parish Ste Croix year 1878

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

another site you may or may not have seen, they have alot of
records listed as well as instructions for request, since you know the
county they lived in, this may help.......
http://www.italiangen.org/default.htm

for those wanting to pitch in here, all childrens names are as follows,
thanks to ricbru for providing the manifest.... :D

Guiseppe-Joseph, birth abt. 1902
Elisabetta-Elizabeth, abt. 1905
Mary, abt. 1910
Peter, abt. 1911
Thomas-Tom, abt. 1913
Antoinette, abt. 1919
Paul, abt. 1921

wldspirit
irishize3

Post by irishize3 »

Just to add to the children a little note. All children born in the US are Mary, Peter, Tom, Antionette, and Paul. Joseph and Elizabeth I am not sure of, maybe Italy?

Sue
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

irishize3 wrote:Just to add to the children a little note. All children born in the US are Mary, Peter, Tom, Antionette, and Paul. Joseph and Elizabeth I am not sure of, maybe Italy?

Sue
Sue,
see lines 28 and 29. Giuseppe and elisabetta, travelling with her mother, were born in Tunisi,
bye Riccardo :lol:
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Yes, Joseph and Elizabeth were born in Italy, stated on census as well as manifest.
wldspirit
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

ricbru wrote:Your Cristofaro Spano,line 8, left on 1908, see his wife's name is Anna Maggiore

Comune
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Via Nunzio Agate 12
91027 Paceco (TP)
Italy

or

Now you have the right date of birt of Anna (see SSDN), to research her birth or church record in Paceco

ANNA SPANO
19 Mar 1882
Jun 1966
07070 (Rutherford, Bergen, NJ)
127-07-0066 New York

ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

ricbru wrote:
irishize3 wrote:Just to add to the children a little note. All children born in the US are Mary, Peter, Tom, Antionette, and Paul. Joseph and Elizabeth I am not sure of, maybe Italy?

Sue
Sue,
see lines 28 and 29. Giuseppe and elisabetta, travelling with her mother, were born in Tunisi,
Wildspirit, I don't know about the census but the manifest ship list of 1908 says they were born in tunisi, bye Riccardo :lol:
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

contact National archive of Tunisiato see how to request their birth record

irishize3

Post by irishize3 »

According to the records at Ellis Island NY it states the children were born in Trapani?? Is that possible?? At least thats what I read.

Sue