Italian Citizenship US Vital Records Question

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
scv_1983

Italian Citizenship US Vital Records Question

Post by scv_1983 »

Hi everyone,

I just received the lions share of documents from my hometown in New York where most of my family is from. Loads of birth, death, and marriage certificates but there is an issue: These are all photocopies, and there is no seal/emboss on any of the documents. They are the full, long form copies, but lack that feature.

In addition, my great grandmother's certificate was so old and in a book so large they were unable to make a copy of it, so they sent me a "Genealogical Copy" of the document, again, with no seals.

Are any of these documents of use for applying for Italian Citizenship to the consulate here in Los Angeles, or even worth sending to NYS to get the apostille affixed? My fear is using them and getting outright rejected for not having proper copies despite them containing all the information. The other option is to go through the state and the only way to obtain certified copies of them is through a court order, something I have no idea how to obtain, especially being here in Los Angeles and all documents in New York State.
JamesM
Elite
Elite

Re: Italian Citizenship US Vital Records Question

Post by JamesM »

You will need to have certified documents for citizenship.
That means all will have to have a raised seal or stamp.

When you request them again, make sure the officials in town know that you will need certified copies for legal use.
lvelt

Post by lvelt »

Town not State?
scv_1983

Post by scv_1983 »

I spoke to the clerk who issued them who has apparently been through this process before in NY State for other people. She said the only documents that need to have a raised seal are the ones that pertain to the bloodline I am trying to claim. The documents pertaining to my paternal Great-Great-Grandfather were submitted by her to the relevant departments to get the apostille affixed.
Basically, I have certified copies (Birth/Death/Marriage) of all Paternal bloodline relatives: My great-great grandfather from Italy (minus is Italian BC), my Great-Great Grandfather, my Grandmother, and my father. I've received mixed messages from various people with the process, so it's a tad confusing.