Is 1930 Census fully indexed?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Garbo

Is 1930 Census fully indexed?

Post by Garbo »

I was able to find my Sacco family in the 1920 Census, but not the 1930 Census. :? I've checked all the places they lived (IA, PA, NY), different name spellings, etc., but no luck. Anybody have tips on what else I might try? I've been looking at Ancestry.com. Is there a better place to try? All ideas welcome...
mfjp
Master
Master

Re: Is 1930 Census fully indexed?

Post by mfjp »

Garbo wrote:I was able to find my Sacco family in the 1920 Census, but not the 1930 Census. :? I've checked all the places they lived (IA, PA, NY), different name spellings, etc., but no luck. Anybody have tips on what else I might try? I've been looking at Ancestry.com. Is there a better place to try? All ideas welcome...
I think Ancestry.com is probably the best...

Why don't you give this forum a try. A new set of eyes 8O might help... post your info if you wish... lots of great people here at this forum..

mfjp
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Mfjp is right.......there are lots of members here who are great at finding
elusive family........
suanj and mfjp are great at locating hard to find manifest....
a number of us have census access........
and ricbru always knows the exact address for records request.....
history, language, surname origins......it's all here at the click of a mouse!!!
wldspirit
Garbo

Post by Garbo »

Thanks everyone! Here's what I have -- 1920 Census, Appanoose County, Iowa. Head of Household Louis Sacco (35), married to Louise (33)Sacco, children Guilda (9), Pete (6), Fannie (3). All were born in Italy except Fannie, who was born in Iowa. Note that Guilda is really supposed to be Gilda, short for Ermenegilda, and Fannie is short for Franizzi (my grandmother). Little sis Agnes was born in 1921. They subsequently lived in Wilkes-Barre, PA, NYC, and Port Chester, NY. Louis (Luigi) worked as a coal miner and then for the USDA. They were living in Port Chester when he applied for his SS card, but that was after 1930. I'm not sure which place they would have been living in 1930, but my best guess is either Port Chester or NYC, as my grandmother met my grandfather in NYC and they had first child in 1933. I am guessing that by 1930 Gilda and Pete were probably married; I know Fannie (Fran) lived with Gilda and her husband in NYC for a time, but not sure what Gilda's married name was. I haven't been able to find any of them in the 1930 census. My other thought is that they were in Wilkes-Barre and maybe the census wasn't as thorough in the mining camps as elsewhere. Or, maybe they're misspelled in a way I haven't considered yet. I'm sure they didn't just disappear!

Here's link to the 1920 census page (hope this works, like it says I'm a Newbie)
http://content.ancestry.com/browse/defa ... 5_477-0483

All sleuthing appreciated!
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Garbo,

Pretty sure this is the correct family
If not let us know

Port Chester was correct.
1930 US Census Dist 329 Port Chester, Westchester, NY
103 William Street - 3 Families

Louis LASCO head 45
Louise wife 42
Louis son 17
Frances daughter 13
Agnes daughter 8

Joseph SCOPPA head 31
Gilda wife 20
Silvio son 2

If this link doesn't work, use Louise LASKO as your search on ancestry

http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?htx= ... d=47083394

vj
Garbo

Post by Garbo »

:D
Wow! You are right, this seems like it's probably the right one! A few of the details are off, so maybe a neighbor or one of the kids is the one who gave the answers, but the rest seems spot on.

LASCO! I never would have thought of that in a million years. THANK YOU!
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Garbo, you're welcome, as always it's a team effort.

With the information provided, the census search was done by
first name -
I used Louise w/no last name
b 1886
Port Chester, Westchester, NY

Lasko looked pretty likely for a mis-spelling of Sacco...

Valarie
pastasugo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by pastasugo »

em