Manoppello Paternal Ancestors

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
peonygirl
Veteran
Veteran

Manoppello Paternal Ancestors

Post by peonygirl »

Combing through the 1809 archives for Manoppello, I found the birth act for Maria Rosa Raffaela de Meis, who is my 2x gg mother. I was looking for her mothers name and it is here! I'd like to make sure that it is the correct spelling, so please make .any corrections

Image 42
25 October 1809
Reported by Felice de Meis, of Manoppello, occupation I think says well off (!) 30 years old, living at Piazza, born to Felice de Meis and Maria Cartapelle of Teramo, with family in Manoppello, was born Maria Rosa Raffaela de Meis.
Witnesses: Gianncola Belfriglio and Giuseppe Nubile

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

Many thanks....Peonygirl
Peonygirl
Always Searching....
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Manoppello Paternal Ancestors

Post by erudita74 »

peonygirl wrote:Combing through the 1809 archives for Manoppello, I found the birth act for Maria Rosa Raffaela de Meis, who is my 2x gg mother. I was looking for her mothers name and it is here! I'd like to make sure that it is the correct spelling, so please make .any corrections

Image 42
25 October 1809
Reported by Felice de Meis, of Manoppello, occupation I think says well off yes well to do 30 years old, living at Strada della Piazza, born to Felice de Meis and Maria Cartapelle of Teramo, with lineage in Manoppello, was born Maria Rosa Raffaela de Meis.
Witnesses: Giannicola Belfiglio and Giuseppe Nubile

Many thanks....Peonygirl
I can't find any evidence of the surname Cartapelle, but see that in Teramo there is currently the surname Quartapelle, so maybe that was the original spelling of the current surname. Also believe that the mother having lineage in Teramo means that that is where she originated from but have never before seen such wording in a record and am not 100% on this
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

I have some doubt about my English, but I think that "lineage" means "ancestors"?
That would be the meaning of "casata" as a noun.
If so, I think this is not the case..."casata" here is an adjective menaing she just married in Manoppello.

As to her surname, my guess is that "Cartapelle" might even not be its original spelling, but just a misspelling, as it wasn't a "local" surname in Manoppello.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

PippoM wrote:I have some doubt about my English, but I think that "lineage" means "ancestors"?
That would be the meaning of "casata" as a noun.
If so, I think this is not the case..."casata" here is an adjective menaing she just married in Manoppello.

As to her surname, my guess is that "Cartapelle" might even not be its original spelling, but just a misspelling, as it wasn't a "local" surname in Manoppello.
I agree Pippo. I looked at this earlier and was somewhat perplexed.
Lineage: It's basically your ancestry in your direct line. (Or your pedigree).

I was thinking, however, that the word “casata” in the context of this record was meaning “living in, at home in, established in”? So born in Teramo, living in Manoppello? Just another thought.

Angela
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

I agree with Pippo, and I would translate casata in Manopello as married in Manopello
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

The mother's name on the 1812 birth of their son, Vincenzo, is Anna Maria Quartapella :-)

T.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

great find!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

liviomoreno wrote:great find!
Grazie, Livio! :-)

The last letter is clearly an "a" though the spelling found today is with an "e" at the end...

T.
peonygirl
Veteran
Veteran

Post by peonygirl »

Wow – how wonderful that you each looked at this. Thank you for your insights. I agree with you Erudita that the language is strange. Well to do as an occupation – wouldn’t it be nice to know what that was! Pippo, AngelaGrace, and Livio – your experience in translating casata helped to clarify this situation. I will see if I can find a Quartapella in Teramo. Funny she went to his town as the opposite was usually true, no? And Tessa, thank you for finding the birth act of Vincenzo. It is so like you to dig deep until you find proof; it was a great find!

I’ve found 13 family names thus far and I’m only up to 1811. There is only the one that pertains directly to my lineage, but I think that VotM’s suggestion of mapping the names will help in the end. Hitting upon a direct link is rewarding to say the least….
PG
Peonygirl
Always Searching....
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

No, the way it works in Abruzzo is that the couple marries in the bride's town and then he takes her to live with him and his mother in his town.
peonygirl
Veteran
Veteran

Post by peonygirl »

well, that makes sense - good to know. I did find an occupation for Felice de Meis but cannot figure out what it means. It is spelled ciolea -- no translation books I have can quantify that. The link is the one Tessa found for their son Vincenzo - http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

Building on that find, I found Vincenzo's daughter, Maria Carolina, listed as Quartapelle, in a FamilySearch English record of her marriage to Pietro Pepe in 1863, Teramo. There are no images available, it seems for Teramo, I looked in the Archives. many thanks, Peonygirl
Peonygirl
Always Searching....
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

peonygirl wrote:well, that makes sense - good to know. I did find an occupation for Felice de Meis but cannot figure out what it means. It is spelled ciolea -- no translation books I have can quantify that. The link is the one Tessa found for their son Vincenzo - http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

Building on that find, I found Vincenzo's daughter, Maria Carolina, listed as Quartapelle, in a FamilySearch English record of her marriage to Pietro Pepe in 1863, Teramo. There are no images available, it seems for Teramo, I looked in the Archives. many thanks, Peonygirl
The occupation is "Civile" - landowner.

Angela
peonygirl
Veteran
Veteran

Post by peonygirl »

OK, thank you!
Peonygirl
Always Searching....
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

:D
Angela
peonygirl
Veteran
Veteran

Post by peonygirl »

Yay - Graduated to Matri (not processi or pub), 1809 Manoppello - if you can help me with reading this new type of record, I will try to discern the rest through 1815. It is a big goal!

First one dealing with marriage of Giuseppe Iezzi and Antonia di Bartolomeo - I think it says the following:

Img#11
15 Mar 1809 - Manoppello
Giuseppe Iezzi, 23 yrs, ? occupation, & Antonia di Bartolomeo, 23 yrs, living in this commune, daughter of Giuseppe di Bartolomeo and Francesca Iezzi (?)
somewhere in there is the name Angela Rosa Napoleon, 53 yr -- it is in the area where the parents of Giuseppe should be but I do not see his father's name.
Witnesses - Nicola Liberatore, Camillo mazzine, Santa Croce, and Serafino Iezzi.

many thanks for your expert researching! Peonygirl
Peonygirl
Always Searching....