Arturo MARCHETTI Birth Certificate

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
glomms
Rookie
Rookie

Arturo MARCHETTI Birth Certificate

Post by glomms »

Please translate my Great Uncle Arturo MARCHETTI's Birth Certificate into english. Many Thanks.
Attachments
Arturo MARCHETTI Birth Certificate 1.jpg
Arturo MARCHETTI Birth Certificate 2.jpg
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Re: Arturo MARCHETTI Birth Certificate

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

No 198: Arturo Marchetti of Corrado
Altopascio: 29 November 1885, 10.25 am
Emilio Marchetti, 41 yo, property owner, living in Marginone, reported that at 5.15 pm, on 25 of the current month, at a house in Marginone, Giuseppa Marchetti, wife of Corrado Marchetti, 34 yo, both coloni possidenti (landowners settlers) living in Marginone, gave birth to a male baby who was not presented to me, and was given the name Arturo Giovanni.

There is a note at the bottom of the record to the effect that the registrant declared the birth because Giuseppa “Montanelli's” husband was away from the town. Note also that Giuseppa's surname, which has been underlined in the body of the record, and has a sign before it, is incorrect, and has been corrected at the bottom of the record, where you will see the same sign. So corrected from "Marchetti" to "Montanelli".

Re the occupation: "coloni possidenti":
Possidenti are landowners, whereas coloni are tenant farmers, so I'm a little perplexed by the occupation as noted “coloni possidenti”. I shall see what I can find out about this.

Angela
glomms
Rookie
Rookie

Post by glomms »

Thank you Angela! I do know that Giuseppa's surname is MONTANELLI, so that makes sense to me. But this is the first time I've noticed Giuseppa spelled like that. I've only seen it as Guiseppa in the past. Also, they were farmers here in the US. Thank you for sharing your talent.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

glomms wrote:Thank you Angela! I do know that Giuseppa's surname is MONTANELLI, so that makes sense to me. But this is the first time I've noticed Giuseppa spelled like that. I've only seen it as Guiseppa in the past. Also, they were farmers here in the US. Thank you for sharing your talent.
Happy to help! The correct spelling is definitely "Giuseppa" or "Giuseppe" (for a male). It is very common to see these names mispelt.

Re the occupation: "coloni possidenti": I've only come across this once before in a record (ie both these words used together for an occupation), and have done a little search, and my thinking is that they must have been (large-ish) landowners who farmed their own land.

Angela:-0
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

explanation of "coloni possidenti"

Those (tenant farmers), who through the fruit of their own industriousness (hard work) and savings, came to acquire lands that they then preferred to have others work, and they abandoned the small farms in which they had made their fortune

https://books.google.com/books?id=BwU_w ... ti&f=false
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Thank you, Erudita. Yes, I'd wondered about that. That was what I thought initially, because I have witnessed this in some of my own records. I just couldn't find proof though, clearly set out, from any of the literature I pulled up. Great link, thank you.

Angela
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Hi Angela
I've never had this occupation appear in my own records, but have seen plenty of references to it. This is the only link which I have found, however, which provides an explanation.
Erudita
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

erudita74 wrote:Hi Angela
I've never had this occupation appear in my own records, but have seen plenty of references to it. This is the only link which I have found, however, which provides an explanation.
Erudita
It's a great link and explains it well - especially with your wonderful translation. I've added it to my very edited list of occupations. Thank you once again.

Angela:-0
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Your welcome Angela. Typing on a kindle and not very well. Sorry