Translation of Baptism Record ~ Josephine Porcasi

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
siciliangirl2016
Rookie
Rookie

Translation of Baptism Record ~ Josephine Porcasi

Post by siciliangirl2016 »

I believe this is my 3rd great grandmother's baptism record. Would appreciate a translation please and thank you in advance! Greatly appreciated.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2046915

Josephine Porcasi
Right Column
3rd Entry Down
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Translation of Baptism Record ~ Josephine Porcasi

Post by erudita74 »

This baptism record is not for Josephine. It is for a male infant.

Dated Dec 8, 1799. The infant was Salvatore Stefano Giuseppe Porcasi. He was born yesterday (on the 7th) to
? (cant' decipher the father's first name) Porcasi and Ninfa Calabria, a married couple. Godparents were Salvatore Majo (Maio), single, son of Giuseppe (Majo), and Anna Majo, his sister.

Erudita
Pontiusmaximus
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Pontiusmaximus »

Curious. Do you have any other info/ docs for Josephine? Perhaps a marriage record or date?
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

erudita74 wrote:This baptism record is not for Josephine. It is for a male infant.

Dated Dec 8, 1799. The infant was Salvatore Stefano Giuseppe Porcasi. He was born yesterday (on the 7th) to
Custode (?) Porcasi and Ninfa Calabria, a married couple. Godparents were Salvatore Majo (Maio), single, son of Giuseppe (Majo), and Anna Majo, his sister.

Erudita
Pontiusmaximus
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Pontiusmaximus »

Sorry, this was meant for Siciliangirl2016 about the ggggrandmother she is looking for.
siciliangirl2016
Rookie
Rookie

erudita74 wrote:This baptism record is not for Josephine. It is for a male infant.

? (cant' decipher the father's first name) Porcasi and Ninfa Calabria, a married couple. Godparents were Salvatore Majo (Maio), single, son of Giuseppe (Majo), and Anna Majo, his sister.

Erudita
Oh wow..... I guess this is a sibling to Josephine..... Ninfa Calabria is my 4th great grandmother and her husband is Cristofero Porcasi as far as I can tell. So this record belongs to my 3rd great grandmother's brother. Thanks for the discovery of another person to add to my ever growing tree. These people are on my father's side but then they could also be on my grandmother's side as well since they all intermarried within families. Thank you Erudita..... I will continue to look for Josephine!!!
siciliangirl2016
Rookie
Rookie

Pontiusmaximus wrote:Curious. Do you have any other info/ docs for Josephine? Perhaps a marriage record or date?
Good morning.... I don't have much for Josephine but have been working with a 4th cousin of mine since we share the same people in our trees. Is Josephine an ancestor of yours too? She is married to my 3rd G.G.Father, Benedicto Barretta. Please let me know!!!!!!
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

siciliangirl2016 wrote:

Erudita
Oh wow..... I guess this is a sibling to Josephine..... Ninfa Calabria is my 4th great grandmother and her husband is Cristofero Porcasi as far as I can tell. So this record belongs to my 3rd great grandmother's brother. Thanks for the discovery of another person to add to my ever growing tree. These people are on my father's side but then they could also be on my grandmother's side as well since they all intermarried within families. Thank you Erudita..... I will continue to look for Josephine!!!
Possibly the first name is Christopher in this record. So happy to hear your tree is growing.
Erudita
Pontiusmaximus
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Pontiusmaximus »

I'm not sure of a relationship at this point, but I (my wife) is a fourth cousin to Lisapeters65 which I think is the fourth cousin you mentioned. So, the possibility is there, I do a little digging and see what if anything I can find.
John Pontious
Auburn CA
siciliangirl2016
Rookie
Rookie

Pontiusmaximus wrote:I'm not sure of a relationship at this point, but I (my wife) is a fourth cousin to Lisapeters65 which I think is the fourth cousin you mentioned. So, the possibility is there, I do a little digging and see what if anything I can find.
John Pontious
Auburn CA
Hi John, nice to meet you...... Lisa and I are distant... We don't share DNA results via the test at Ancestry but she does share enough to match my late father. We share a lot of similar surnames and I think possibly it may be either Barretta or Rappa.....but we just don't know yet.

I have been working with a different 4th cousin...... his similar surnames are Barretta, Rappa, Lupo and Marasa. He shares a lot of ancestors with me. If you took the DNA test at Ancestry or 23andMe.... please send me a private message and let me know what your acct or screen name is and I will look to see if you share a match to my father, myself or even my son.

Belinda
Pontiusmaximus
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Pontiusmaximus »

the DNA sampling was through Ancestry and the screen name is pontius maximus. The sample is Judy Pontious, Tree is Mignanos in Borgetto.

I have a couple of things here that may help your search for Josephine.

A baptismal record for Josepha Maria Benedicta Porcasi is very likely hers. The father's name here is more clearly seen as Custodio Porcasi (not Cristoand the mother's is Nimpha Calabria, Date of the record is 5 Oct 1788.

Another baptismal record for a sister, Benedicta Maria Paula Porcasi, dated 8 Feb 1783. Same parents are listed, but the father's name is not as clear.

And finally, the marriage of Custodio and Ninpha shows their parents. Vincenti Porcasi and Paula are Custodio's parents and Vincenti Calabria and Benedetta are the parents of Ninpha Calabria. The record date is 30 Apr 1782.

siciliangirl2016
Rookie
Rookie

John, thanks for the links.....going to check those out right now. I have really been extending this branch of my tree and I am determined to find how Maddipa and LisaPeters are connected to me. Maddi and I knew we were related but still not sure but we share a lot of similar surnames like I do with Lisa.