set of eyes

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

set of eyes

Post by suanj »

Hi just a help:

on line number 16, it are the " RES. USA RET." that I believe meaning US reservist or US returning resident..... ? sorry...

and the marking on column 7.... I read a naturalization number but I cannot understand very well:
https://s10.postimg.org/ja7tzcz6h/salva ... rrotto.jpg
first page of ship's manifest:
http://www.libertyellisfoundation.org/s ... cGciOw==/1
someone can decipher for me? From this number I can have some helpful input... for my search?

I read also a word seeming "none" or "same" below naturalization number but I don't understand very well... any help is appreciated.. thanks,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: set of eyes

Post by erudita74 »

suanj
I have seen the markings RES USA RET on passenger lists for both male and females in the Head Tax Column of the passenger list. I believe the abbreviations mean the person was a returning resident. Sorry but I can't read what is in the other column of the link you posted.
Erudita

http://ngb.chebucto.org/Passenger/rosal ... 1925.shtml

In the Head Tax Column . . .
Until 1952, there was a "Head Tax" on each immigrant entering the United States. For most immigrants, the tax was included in the price of their steamship ticket and paid by the steamship company. The same was true for passengers who came by railroad or ferry across the Northern and Southern Borders. Those immigrants who came "under their own steam" had to pay at the door.
Not everyone had to pay the Head Tax. Children under 16 were exempt, as were returning residents, citizens/natives of Canada, Mexico, and most Caribbean islands. Also exempt were "Non-Immigrants," that is, people who were not coming to live in the U.S. permanently. In this category were visitors, tourists, and people traveling through U.S. territory in transit to another country. Many nonimmigrants had to pay the Head Tax as a deposit to guarantee they would leave as promised. Those "transits" who paid a Head Tax deposit got a receipt and had the fee refunded when they departed.
Many returning residents disputed their need to pay the Head Tax, claiming they already paid it upon their first arrival. They usually paid the tax, got a receipt, went to their home in the U.S., then pursued their refund by mail.
Athena
Elite
Elite

Post by Athena »

Suanj

Column 7 is calling/occupation and Salvatore was a mason, can't make out the hand writing above that other then 38.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

The writing above the word "mason" is "stone". He was a stonemason which is a little different from a mason, I believe. Then follows the numbers 38 and then 38 again.

http://wikidiff.com/mason/stonemason

Edit to add: It looks like there are other numbers there too which have been over/under written. Maybe a 3 and then a 7??????? Not sure.

Angela
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

erudita74 wrote:suanj
I have seen the markings RES USA RET on passenger lists for both male and females in the Head Tax Column of the passenger list. I believe the abbreviations mean the person was a returning resident. Sorry but I can't read what is in the other column of the link you posted.
Erudita

http://ngb.chebucto.org/Passenger/rosal ... 1925.shtml

In the Head Tax Column . . .
Until 1952, there was a "Head Tax" on each immigrant entering the United States. For most immigrants, the tax was included in the price of their steamship ticket and paid by the steamship company. The same was true for passengers who came by railroad or ferry across the Northern and Southern Borders. Those immigrants who came "under their own steam" had to pay at the door.
Not everyone had to pay the Head Tax. Children under 16 were exempt, as were returning residents, citizens/natives of Canada, Mexico, and most Caribbean islands. Also exempt were "Non-Immigrants," that is, people who were not coming to live in the U.S. permanently. In this category were visitors, tourists, and people traveling through U.S. territory in transit to another country. Many nonimmigrants had to pay the Head Tax as a deposit to guarantee they would leave as promised. Those "transits" who paid a Head Tax deposit got a receipt and had the fee refunded when they departed.
Many returning residents disputed their need to pay the Head Tax, claiming they already paid it upon their first arrival. They usually paid the tax, got a receipt, went to their home in the U.S., then pursued their refund by mail.
Thanks Erudita.. in effects on the ship's manifest Salvatore declared that he already was in USA from jul 1911 to 1915.... but I don't found this previous trip.. however Salvatore went back in Italy on 1915, then married and the his wife was pregnant when he came again on 5 March 1920 in USA, joining at sister in law... instead the sister in law has never seen... and this person was untraceable, and all in Italy thinked that he died at sea, until some time ago, when a descendent found his arrival on 5 march 1920.... and no more traces..

I found his WWII draft registration card https://s10.postimg.org/vbohyizkp/Sa_LV ... O_WWII.jpg

I don't write the his data explicitly as a well no the full name, just we can call it Salvatore on this topic
because it is better so..

well on the WWII draft registration card he lived at 3122 Jerome ave, Bronx, New York, NY and his wife (in USA) was Anna...
I know that in New York was several people with same name and born abt in same year.. but they don't are the right person that I am searching for... so I don't found he on 1925 census, 1930 census, and 1940 census... just I found on ancestry.it:
Nome: Salvatore PXXXXXXXX ( the x are the mine)
Appartenenza razziale: White (Europoide)
Data di nascita: 13 Jun 1888 (13 giu 1888)
Luogo di nascita: Italy (Italia)
Padre: Vincenzo PXXXXXXXX ( the x are the mine)

Madre: Anna Larsano ( really: Lanzano)

Tipo di rivendicazione: Original SSN.
Note: 12 Oct 1982: Name listed as SALVATORE PXXXXXXXX ( the x are the mine)

I assume that 12 oct 1982 could be the US death date also...

Thanks again.
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Athena wrote:Suanj

Column 7 is calling/occupation and Salvatore was a mason, can't make out the hand writing above that other then 38.
Thanks a lot!
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

AngelaGrace56 wrote:The writing above the word "mason" is "stone". He was a stonemason which is a little different from a mason, I believe. Then follows the numbers 38 and then 38 again.

http://wikidiff.com/mason/stonemason

Edit to add: It looks like there are other numbers there too which have been over/under written. Maybe a 3 and then a 7??????? Not sure.

Angela
Thanks Angela, yes stonemason is our "scalpellino" instead mason is our "muratore" thanks, make sense! abt the number above I read a 2.... 36( or 38) and 38 and this is a mystery for me because normally the markings are abt naturalization but no date, just a indecipherable number...thanks a lot,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Yes it's tricky. I debated whether it was a 2 or 3 as well and also whether a 6 or 8. I also see the letter C – not sure whether that could mean something? So, I'm reading above the word “stone”: 3-7C38 then 38 repeated or it could be 2-7C36 and 38 repeated. (Or there might not even be a dash between the 3 and 7 where the letter “t” is?)

Edit to Add: Could the numbers possibly instead relate to the type of occupation? Did they have codes for types of occupations back then? Just a thought.
Angela
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

suanj
It seems that Salvatore married in Afragola on Jan 7, 1912 and the wife in the record is Maria and not Anna Pannone. This record shows he was of unknown parents. I'll have to see if his wife's birth record is accessible online to see what her name in that record is.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cat=974488

Here's her birth record with annotations re her marriage and death.

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Yes Erudita, thanks the his wife in Italy was Maria , instead the US wife was Anna....unknown maiden name.... Maybe he just joined... No married really... Thanks a lot,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH