Long shot but hoping for your help . . .

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
BrownEyedGirl
Veteran
Veteran

Long shot but hoping for your help . . .

Post by BrownEyedGirl »

Hi Everyone,

The lovely people on this site have helped me so much, and I'm wondering if you could help me further. I'm not sure if records are available from so long ago so I realize that much of this information may not be attainable but I thought I'd post anyway just in case. There's a few . . .

Last week, Mmogno and Teresa78 helped me find my four of great great grandparents' names. (Thank you, both, again.) I'm wondering if it's possible to find their parents' names.

My great grandmother was Filomena Colao born Jan. 12, 1892 San Pietro alTanagro, Salerno, Campania. Her parents (my gg grandparents) were Nicola Colao and his wife, Giovanna Setaro. Is it possible to find any info on Nicola and Giovanna, like their birth place or the names of their parents?

My great grandfather was Antonio Mangieri born April 18, 1883, Sant'Arsenio, Salerno, Campania. His parents (my gg grandparents) were Arsenio Mangieri and his wife, Margherita Gorga. Is it possible to find info on Arsenio and Margherita?

Also, I have the name of another great great grandmother, Filomena Venditto Scungiomost likely born in Campania. I don't have her date of birth. I'm searching for her parents' names if possible and her place of birth.

Her husband (my great great grandfather), Frank Scungio, Sr., was born October 24, 1868, in Baia Latina, Caserta, Campania, to Carl Scungio and Maria Perrotta (Scungio). Carl and Maria are my ggg grandparents, and I realize that it's a real stretch to find anything on them but I'm hoping . . .

Anything at all on any of them . . .

Thank you, all, so much in advance. I deeply appreciate any help you could give me.
For Europe, With Love.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Long shot but hoping for your help . . .

Post by Tessa78 »

BrownEyedGirl wrote: Her husband (my great great grandfather), Frank Scungio, Sr., was born October 24, 1868, in Baia Latina, Caserta, Campania, to Carl Scungio and Maria Perrotta (Scungio). Carl and Maria are my ggg grandparents, and I realize that it's a real stretch to find anything on them but I'm hoping . . .

Anything at all on any of them . . .

Thank you, all, so much in advance. I deeply appreciate any help you could give me.
Notice the date and spelling of surname here. However, I do believe this is your GGGF :-)

Here is the birth record of Francesantonio Scuncio born in 1867 in Baia e Latina

Dated 1 May 1867 at the town office in Baia e Latina
Appearing before the official was Carlo Scuncio [son of deceased Vincenzo], age 43, farmer residing in Baia to present a male child who he declared was born the same day to himself and to his wife, Maria Giulia Perrotti [daughter of deceased Michelangelo] age 36, residing with him at the house at contrada Castello. To this child was given the name
FRANCESCANTONIO
NOTE: Mother's surname is spelled Perrotta in the index.

Bottom right of image (FYI- the images are upside down... use the "tools" at the upper right of the page to rotate the image 2X to the left :-) )
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2043630

EDIT TO ADD:

A son born in 1866 (named after Carlo's father) - Vincenzo
Dated 9 March 1866 at the town office.
Father: Carlo Scuncio, [son of deceased Vincenzo], age 48, laborer residing in Baia.
Child was born on 9 March
Mother: Maria Giulia Perrotta [daughter of deceased Michelangelo]
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2043630

T.
BrownEyedGirl
Veteran
Veteran

Post by BrownEyedGirl »

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR RESPONDING, TERESA! I'm so happy to have this information.

Thank you! Thank you!!
For Europe, With Love.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Here is a Publication of Banns of marriage for Francescantonio Scuncio's sister - Cristina Pasqualina Scuncio i 1894 in Baia. The father (Carlo) is deceased at this time, and mother (Maria Giulia Perrotta) is still living.
I will see if I can find a record for Carlo's death - perhaps there is more information there.

Left side of image (record #1)
http://interactive.ancestry.com/1893/31 ... 1144-00041

Here is a link to the birth of Cristina Pasqualina Scuncio (#35) in 1872 on 19 May
Father, Carlo, was 54yo farmer.
Mother, Maria Giulia Perrotta
Bottom right
http://interactive.ancestry.com/1893/31 ... 1143-00692

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Death act of Carlo Scuncio in 1880
Died on 17 October at 1:03 AM at the house at Via Castello #10
He was born in Prata Sannita, and was a farmer, age 66, son of deceased Vincenzo and of deceased Rosa Rossi.
Husband of Maria Perrotta

Top right of image (record #47)
http://interactive.ancestry.com/1893/31 ... 1143-01517

AND...
Death of Maria Perrotta in 1900

Died on 4 November 1900 at 11:20 AM
Maria was age 63, farmer residing in Baia, born in Baia to deceased Michelangelo [Perrotta] and to deceased Maria Michela Masi.
Maria Perrotta was a widow (no spouse named)

Top right #15
http://interactive.ancestry.com/1893/31 ... 1144-00674

T.
BrownEyedGirl
Veteran
Veteran

Post by BrownEyedGirl »

Teresa,

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH! I appreciate the time you took to search this for me.

My mother said she remembers her parents and grandparents talking about a Maria Masi in the family, but my mother was a little girl at the time and didn't know who she was in relation to her. That's amazing - so many generations back! And my great uncle used the alias Rossi (under certain circumstances :mrgreen: ) so he must have been aware of Rosa.

I noticed that they spelled their name Scuncio. My grandmother and her family spelled it with a g (Scungio). I wonder if that change happened when they arrived in the states. I actually like Scuncio better. 8)

Thank you again, so much!! xo
For Europe, With Love.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Do you have the arrival manifest?

Usually the name was changed in US documents because clerks tried to spell the name the way they heard it. It might be fun to trace when it changed...

Can you name the Scungio/Scuncio family members who immigrated?

T.
BrownEyedGirl
Veteran
Veteran

Post by BrownEyedGirl »

Hi Teresa,

No, I don't have the arrival manifest. What you said makes perfect sense though. I just found a website that pronounces Italian surnames, and Scuncio sounds exactly like Scungio. Lol.

The first of my ancestors from that line to come to the U.S. was Frank Scungio Sr. (Francescantonio), the one you first traced for me. :) :)
For Europe, With Love.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

I located a 1910 US Census for Frank, Filomena and family in New Castle, PA, in which he gives his year of arrival as 1887. These early manifests hold very little information about the passenger. While I have located a manifest from 1887 with 2 Scuncio passengers, they are only identified by an initial for first name. Hard to determine if this is your GGGF.

I have also located the marriage license of Francesco and Filomena dated 5 July 1890 in Pennsylvania.
You will notice the misspelling - Scunbio :-)

Right side of image
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=1589502

AND...
Here is the 1900 US Census in New Castle, with the surname BADLY misspelled as Schimcho
Listed is Frank Shimcho born in Italy Oct. 1867
Wife - Fannie (Filomena?)
http://interactive.ancestry.com/7602/00 ... sePUB=true

Here is another sister to Francescantonio - Rosa - and her marriage in 1885 at age 22 in Baia, to Vito Antonio Bullano
http://interactive.ancestry.com/1893/31 ... dit/record

It appears that this Rosa Scuncio Bullano also immigrated... and died in Pennsylvania in 1949 at age 83
Name: Rose Bullano

[Rose Scungio]
Race: White
Birth Date: 6 Feb 1866
Birth Place: Bal Latina Italy
Death Date: 8 Sep 1949
Death Place: New Castle, Lawrence, Pennsylvania, USA
Father: Carl Scungio
Mother: Maria Perrotta
Certificate Number: 79089
Here is the death certificate
http://interactive.ancestry.com/5164/42 ... PUBJs=true

T.
BrownEyedGirl
Veteran
Veteran

Post by BrownEyedGirl »

Lol! Wow! Schimcho. That's so funny. THANK YOU so much for looking this up for me. I'm really laughing out loud. :)
For Europe, With Love.
BrownEyedGirl
Veteran
Veteran

Post by BrownEyedGirl »

I remember my grandmother talking about Rose. One of the reasons I want to learn about my grandparents' family history is because they meant so much to me. They were young grandparents and both died young . . . and they were wonderful in 1,000 different ways. I miss them terribly. So thank you, Teresa, for helping me. It means so much. :)
For Europe, With Love.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Happy to help! :-)

T.