Amico Family Name in Lipari or Librizzi - I'm stumped

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
filmchickx

Amico Family Name in Lipari or Librizzi - I'm stumped

Post by filmchickx »

Hi All. I'm trying to research my husband's family tree, which is yielding nothing.
It's a very sad story, but the only name we have is Tindaro Orlando Amico (my husband's father) who was born in Messina Sicily. We *think* that he was born on April 25, 1932-Lipari. or Librizzi.

Tindaro Orlando Amico apparently had many brothers, he was possibly 1 of 12 children; and his father had many brothers --but we don't have one single name! Searching only yields surnames with the "D'" in front.

Tindaro left for Rome, where he married a woman from Sardenia. They had 3 children, split up and cut all communication from each other. My husband ONLY knows the name of his father and his mother (Maria Antonietta Pinna).

Both the names Amico in sicily and Pinna in Sardega are about as common as spaghetti. We are so frustrated. Communication with consulates (even in Italian) yields nothing.

I've posted on Facebook and numerous other "italian" sites. Hoping this one might shed some light.
Thanks for reading. Mio marito parla italiano.
carubia
Master
Master

Re: Amico Family Name in Lipari or Librizzi - I'm stumped

Post by carubia »

Where and when was your husband born? Did his father ever go to the US, Canada, or the UK? Do you know the birth year of your husband's oldest sibling?

Why do you think your husband's father was born on that date? Have you tried contacting Lipari or anywhere else to see if they have a record of his birth?

I assume when you say that you only find records for the surname with a D in front you mean the name D'Amico. It is common for certain names to be spelled with or without such an initial D' (or Di). A record for a D'Amico could very well be for the same person as Amico.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

filmchickx wrote:Hi All. I'm trying to research my husband's family tree, which is yielding nothing.
It's a very sad story, but the only name we have is Tindaro Orlando Amico (my husband's father) who was born in Messina Sicily. We *think* that he was born on April 25, 1932-Lipari. or Librizzi.

Tindaro Orlando Amico apparently had many brothers, he was possibly 1 of 12 children; and his father had many brothers --but we don't have one single name! Searching only yields surnames with the "D'" in front.

Tindaro left for Rome, where he married a woman from Sardenia. They had 3 children, split up and cut all communication from each other. My husband ONLY knows the name of his father and his mother (Maria Antonietta Pinna).

Both the names Amico in sicily and Pinna in Sardega are about as common as spaghetti. We are so frustrated. Communication with consulates (even in Italian) yields nothing.

I've posted on Facebook and numerous other "italian" sites. Hoping this one might shed some light.
Thanks for reading. Mio marito parla italiano.
Hi
I believe right Librizzi as birthplace.. the surname could be D'Amico...
If you husband can write to Carmelo Rifici owner of this Librizzi website
http://www.librizziacolori.eu/index.html
for email address click on " email...
in this webpage are old pictures
http://www.librizziacolori.eu/gente/com ... ieri_2.htm
this picture is interesting:
http://www.librizziacolori.eu/gente/com ... da-b-n.jpg
because the website owner recognize these person:
La Banda di Librizzi in Via Costa Taverna: Andrea Muscarà, Giuseppe e Paolino La Spada, Peppino Russo, il Maestro don Peppino D'amico, ???, Benito Gugliotta, Egidio Cardinale, Carmelino Luca, ?, Peppino Muscarà, Paolo Capitti, Gennarino Muscarà, Tindaro e Nuccio Capitti, Tindaro e Orlando D'Amico, Pietro Marziano, Santino Marziano, Vincenzo Gugliotta, Domenico Calabrese

Tindaro e Orlando D'Amico seeming 2 brothers... for that I believe that the surname could be also D'Amico.... however if your husband can write to website owner, asking the infos, I believe that it will have a reply; the website owner know so much abt Librizzi and Librizzi peoples that I believe can help you...
just a suggestion,
regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

Sometimes in birth records you see a single child's given names separated by "e" so that "Tindaro e Orlando D'Amico" is just 1 person named Tindaro Orlando D'Amico. I haven't looked at the link so I can't say if that's what happened here. Note that on that list there are 3 cases where 2 given names are separated by "e" whereas there is no case with someone having more than 1 given name without the "e."
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

Having now looked at the photo I agree that it looks more like there are 2 distinct people, Tindaro D'Amico and Orlando D'Amico. Still, it's likely that they are relatives of your husband.
filmchickx

Post by filmchickx »

Thank you everyone for the replies, and I'm sorry for the delay from me!

The link to the photo is great, except that we have no idea which name goes to which person in that photo so it's still a bit of a mystery.

My husband insists that his Father (Tindaro) strictly used AMICO, not D'Amico.

I'm really hoping someone who recognizes this name might be connected to him via one of his brothers (or sisters). It's a longshot.

Is there an office that I can write for a birth or death certificate? Would that document contain more information? Is it possible to get a marriage license/certificate that would show his parents names?
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

You can order a copy of his birth cert from the Stato Civile (civil records) office of Librizzi. Here is the contact information:

http://www.comune.librizzi.me.it/pages/contatti.htm

Sig. Carmelo Giovenco

Ufficio Servizi Demografici
Anagrafe-Stato Civile
Aire
Elettorale
Leva-Statistiche
Estumulazioni e Trasporto Salme

0941 32281 / 367027 / 367028 – area amministrativa 1 – interno 2
0941 367029

carmelo.giovenco@comune.librizzi.me.it

riceve:
dal lunedì al venerdì : dalle ore 8.30 alle ore 13.30

martedì e giovedì . anche dalle ore 15.30 alle ore 17.30
Contattare anche:
Castelluzzo Antonietta e Giuseppe Adamo

You can ask them to search for a Tindaro Amico born around 25 Apr 1932. The birth cert would have his parents' names. More recent records may not be public records, but maybe they would release a birth record from 1932. For Librizzi, birth records up to 1912 are online on familysearch.org and marriage and death records up to 1941.