WWI MILITARY RECORD - HELP FILLING IN SOME GAPS

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

WWI MILITARY RECORD - HELP FILLING IN SOME GAPS

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

I've made a start with page 1 and would appreciate help with filling in some gaps please:

Soldato di leva Seconda Categoria classe 1899 distretto Potenza

Left with unlimited leave (lasciato in congedo illimitato) 15 May 1917
Called to service and he went (Chiamato alle armi? E giunto) 14 June 1917
(1) (Assigned in?) the 39º Infantry Regiment Depot? (Tale nel Deposito 39º Reggimento fanteria) 26 June 1917
(2) (Assigned in?) the 47º Infantry (Tale nel 47º fanteria) 26 June 1917
(3) Went in the territory declared state of war (Giunto in territorio dichiarato in stato di guerra)
(This is pure guess work because the only words I can read clearly are Giunto …....dichiarato in …. di guerra) 26 June 1917
(4) Assigned in the 29º Infantry Regiment. (Tale nel 29º Regg. Fanteria) 26 December 1917
(5) Assigned in the 85º Infantry Regiment of ….? (Tale nel 85º Regg. Fanteria di …..?) 5 January 1918
(6) Assigned in the 48º Infant. Reg. Battalion .....? (Tale nel 48º Regg. Fanteria Battaglione Co???? 7 February 1918
(7) Assigned in the 47º Infant. Reg. 102 Section ..? ..? (Tale nel 47º Regg.Fanteria 102 Sezione ..? ..?) 13 June 1918
(8) Left from the territory declared state of war for injury (was injured) (Partito da (etc)….. per ferite) 20 June 1918
(9) In the hospital …? of Pesaro. (Tale nell' Ospedale …? di Pesaro. ? June 1918
(10) ….​ (Tale nel .... ?) 26 September 1918
(11)
(12)
(13)
(17)
Attachments
PAGE 1.png
PAGE 1.png
mmogno
Master
Master

Re: WWI MILITARY RECORD - HELP FILLING IN SOME GAPS

Post by mmogno »

AngelaGrace56 wrote:I've made a start with page 1 and would appreciate help with filling in some gaps please:

Soldato di leva Seconda Categoria classe 1899 distretto Potenza

Left with unlimited leave (lasciato in congedo illimitato) 15 May 1917
Called to service and he went (Chiamato alle armi? E giunto) 14 June 1917
(1) (Assigned in?) the 39º Infantry Regiment Depot? (Tale nel Deposito 39º Reggimento fanteria) 26 June 1917
(2) (Assigned in?) the 47º Infantry (Tale nel 47º fanteria) 26 June 1917
(3) Went in the territory declared state of war (Giunto in territorio dichiarato in stato di guerra)
(This is pure guess work because the only words I can read clearly are Giunto …....dichiarato in …. di guerra) 26 June 1917
(4) Assigned in the 29º Infantry Regiment. (Tale nel 39º Regg. Fanteria) 26 December 1917
(5) Assigned in the 85º Infantry Regiment of ….? (Tale nel 85º Regg. Fanteria di …..?) 5 January 1918
(6) Assigned in the 48º Infant. Reg. Battalion .....? (Tale nel 48º Regg. Fanteria Battaglione Complementare? 7 February 1918
(7) Assigned in the 47º Infant. Reg. 102 Section ..? ..? (Tale nel 47º Regg.Fanteria 102 Sezione lanciafiamme) 13 June 1918
(8) Left from the territory declared state of war for injury (was injured) (Partito da (etc)….. per ferite) 20 June 1918
(9) In the hospital …? of Pesaro. (Tale nell' Ospedale M(ilita)re di Pesaro. 24 June 1918
(10) ….​ (Tale nel Convalescenziario) 26 September 1918
(11) Tale nel Deposito Lancia Fiamme Reggio Emilia 4 Nov 1918
(12) Tale nel 21° Regg(imento) Fanteria 60a Sezione 21 Nov 1918
(13) Tale nel Convalescenziario 2 Dic 1918
(17) Tale nel Reggimento Fanteria Potenza
?????? illimitato 3 gennaio 1920
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?” 🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦 🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Mmogno, thank you so much for looking at this for me and for filling in the gaps. I really appreciate it very much, especially because I know that the military records are not easy and that it takes time to decipher some of the military terms that we are not familiar with.

I know that it is getting late, so not necessary to do this right now, but when you have time, would you please be able to look at the second half of the record on Page 2 and 3. (Page 3 is really just the bottom of Page 2. I was trying to get it to be more readable. I don't think that I have succeeded too well.)

If it helps, my understanding is that Nonno was injured at Piave River . I think I see Piave River mentioned at No 2 under “Campagne, Azioni Di Merito, …. etc"

(I have only been able to upload the bottom portion becase Page 2 is too big. I'll see if I can make Page 2 smaller and then post it later.) Thank you very much for your help, mmogno
Attachments
LOWER PORTION OF PAGE 2.png
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

So here is page 2 and I've made a start.

Mmogno, if it is easier/quicker for you to just type up what you see rather than editing what I have typed here, that's fine. I can just erase what I have typed :) No rush.

Page 2:
(12) Tale nel 21° Regg(imento) Fanteria 60a Sezione 21 Nov 1918) 
(13) Tale nel Convalescenziario 2 Dic 1918) – you have already given me this info – thank you.

(14) Tale nel 32° Reggimento Fanteria. 30 February 1919
(15) Tale nel ? Reggimento Fanteria. 1 January 1920
(16) On unlimited leave (I guess) …...? Giuvusta​? in congedo illimitato per …....? 4/5 January 1920
(18) Effettuato il ….​ dei premi di cui alla circolare N.114 del G.M. Del …..​?
(19) Concessa …...​? di aver tenuto buona condotta …... servito con ….......

(I think I prefer to read Italian script to faded stamped templates. I wonder if there is a site somewhere which has images of the templates that are/were used. It would be so helpful with learning some of the military words/terms used in these military documents.)

Thank you, Angela
Attachments
LOWER PORTION OF PAGE 2.png
PAGE 2 Cropped.png
mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

1) Campagna di guerra 1917-1918
2) Il 20 Giugno 1918 a Zensona (?) sul Piave riportò ferita da una scheggia al capo prodotta da uno scoppio di granata C 169 come da dichiarazione di ferita del 47° Fanteria in data 2 settembre 1918.
3) Autorizzato a fregiarsi di un distintivo d'onore di ferita di cui alla circolare 182 G(iornale) M(ilitare) Uff(iciale)
Decorato della croce al merito di guerra Determinazione Ministeriale n. 404968 in data 4-12-1934

Autorizzato a fregiarsi della medaglia commemorativa nazionale della guerra 1915-1918 istituita con R. decreto n. 1241 in data 20 luglio 1920 ed apporre sul nastro della medaglia le fascette corrispondenti agli anni di campagna 1915 - 18.
Concessione 4577176

Autorizzato a fregiarsi della medaglia interalleata della vittoria R. decreto N. 1918 del 16-12-1920
Concessione 54159 in data 27-4-29

http://www.frontedelpiave.info/public/m ... ta-Ferrara
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?” 🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦 🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Mmogno, I can't thank you enough. I'm absolutely overwhelmed by this information. I only learned recently, after doing a little digging in some immigration documents, that Nonno had received war medals. My understanding though, from the immigration documents, was that he had received an injury to his leg, so information must have got lost in translation, some how. From this document, I am understanding that it was an injury to his head, as a result of schrapnel from a grenade blast. It is wonderful to have this. He died shortly after I was born, so I never met him, but know he was a good person. Thank you once again and thank for the link. I noticed that you had posted it on another thread recently. It's a great link. Thank you for sharing your great research skills with us. :D

Angela
mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

AngelaGrace56 wrote: (14) Tale nel 32° Reggimento Fanteria. 20 February 1919
(15) Tale nel 326 ? Reggimento Fanteria. 1 January 1920
(16) On unlimited leave (I guess) …...? Inviato in congedo illimitato per smobilitazione 4 January 1920
(18) Effettuato il pagamento​ dei premi di cui alla circolare N.114 del G.M. del 1919 in lire centocinquanta (150) ....? dal proprio ufficio dell'autorità ?
(19) Concessa dichiarazione di aver tenuto buona condotta e di aver servito con fedeltà e onore

Tale inserito nel ruolo 71 B della forza in congedo Fanteria del distretto militare di Potenza

(I think I prefer to read Italian script to faded stamped templates. I wonder if there is a site somewhere which has images of the templates that are/were used. It would be so helpful with learning some of the military words/terms used in these military documents.)

http://miles.forumcommunity.net/?t=49504281
http://www.icminerbe.gov.it/pubblicazio ... colari.pdf
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Wonderful! Thank you. You are so quick. It would have taken me a long time to try and decipher those words and I'm sure I would have ended up with a headache as well. The links are great too. So many examples of military records. It's either a feast or a famine. I feel like all my Christmas's have come at once today. I'm going to have a break and then write about Nonno's war journey. No doubt this will create some questions for me, but hopefully not too many. Thank you very much again, mmogno. Your help with translations and research skills are really appreciated and valued. Great to have you here.

Kindest regards
Angela
mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

Page 1
(5) Tale nell' 85º Regg. Fanteria di Marcia (*) 5 January 1918.

Page 2
(2) Il 20 giugno 1918 a Zenson sul Piave riporta ferita (**) .....

(*) Un reparto di marcia comprendeva i complementi di un reparto di misura immediatamente più grande. Quindi un reggimento di marcia era destinato a fornire uomini ad un'intera divisione.
(**) Ernest Hemingway has served in that area in those days, before being wounded on 8 July in Fossalta (5 km from Zenson). Nonno has received first aid from him?
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

mmogno wrote:Page 1
(5) Tale nell' 85º Regg. Fanteria di Marcia (*) 5 January 1918.

Page 2
(2) Il 20 giugno 1918 a Zenson sul Piave riporta ferita (**) .....

(*) Un reparto di marcia comprendeva i complementi di un reparto di misura immediatamente più grande. Quindi un reggimento di marcia era destinato a fornire uomini ad un'intera divisione.
(**) Ernest Hemingway has served in that area in those days, before being wounded on 8 July in Fossalta (5 km from Zenson). Nonno has received first aid from him?
Thank you. I did some more work on this yesterday and do have some questions but haven't quite got my thoughts together.

I also came to the conclusion that the word was Marcia, but couldn't find any reference to it. I will have a closer look at your footnote here in a minute.

Re: Zenson/Zensona: I did a search yesterday and I eventually found two paper clippings referencing Zensona. This is what it said: "Our Third Army crossed the Piave at Sandona de Piave and eastward of Zensona." I still couldn't locate Zensona on a map or anywhere else. Maybe it got blown up in the war???? I'll crop and post the article in a minute. It was dated 31 October, London. Thank you for the foot note. I'll do another search.

Edit to add:
Zenson di Piave: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zenson_di_Piave
This must be the same place.

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

This was a clipping from a newspaper dated 31 October 1918, so it is not exactly related to Nonno's injury at Piave, but it mentions the place Zensona. I need to take another close look at everything again later. It would be great to have the place exact. Thank you again for your help and interest, mmogno.

Angela
Attachments
WWI Article mentions Zensona.jpg
mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Thank you. What a lovely tidy green town. I would love to visit there one day. I am sure that it looked very different on 20 June 1918. I definitely agree that this is the place. I think that it was a mistype in the newspaper. On the military record I had wondered when I first saw it whether it might be Zenzon.

You might be able to help me with some questions:

1. So Convalescenzario is a noun. (Istituto sanitario che accoglie chi ha bisogno di cure e assistenze particolari per il periodo di convalescen. A health institution that welcomes those who need care and special assistance for the convalescing period.)

Was it a separate place or a place within the Military Hospital of Pesaro? Do you know? It reads that he was in hospital for three months and then in Convalescenzario until 4 November 1918 and then back in Convalescenzario on 2 December 1918. He possibly had a relapse?

2. How were the regiments set up? Sometimes it seems like it was according to where a soldier was born and other times it seems like it was the type of regiment e.g. artillery. I'm trying to work out why nonno was put in the 47th with people not from his town and why he was in about six different regiments during the war.

Angela
mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Thank you. I'll take a closer read of this later.

Angela