Pudetti / Camuglia / Russo Family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Sambina
Rookie
Rookie

Pudetti / Camuglia / Russo Family

Post by Sambina »

I have been working on this for a long time. I would really love to find information about my family.

All I have is this:

BOTH my paternal and maternal great grandparents came from Italy.

I don't know what parts. My grandmother used to joke that her family came from the south and my grandfathers family came from the north.

All I have found so far is that Vincenza (Jennie)(Vincenzina) Camuglia married Nicola (Nicholas) (Nicolo) Russo in 1921. I have records of where they lived after they got married. Their marriage was in Rochester, NY.

About 3 years back my grandmother showed me Nicola Russo's passport that was stamped when he camed into the country in I think it said 1910. I can't find Camuglia. I can't find her family or her arrival to the states.

According to her gravestone she lived from 1892-1928. The problem with that is she was married in 1921 at the age of 25. The name on her stone is correct but the records that the cemetery kept say that she is Virginia Russo and she was born in 1894 and died in 1929.

The Pudetti family is also lost to me but that is for another day. I figure I am a Pudetti so it can wait a little while.

I have searched ancestry.com & Ellis for my family with several different spellings. I have tried searching every place online that I could and still no records of them having a past. I would just like to know where they came from in Italy and what family they had.

Hope you are all having a nice day.
:roll:
"Siamo nati, viviamo e moriamo poi! Perché non ha un grande tempo mentre lei vivono! L'amore, vive, la festa, e guida con la cima giù sotto la pioggia! ED una volta lei ha vissuto, ha amato, il partied, e corso intorno con la cima giù morte è
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Pudetti / Camuglia / Russo Family

Post by wldspirit »

How old was your grandfather at time of marriage, names of their children and any states that they lived in? Also, the names of your grandparents siblings if known.
wldspirit
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

There is a Vincenza Camuglia ship record (year of birth 1894), daughter of Salvetore, travelling with brother Antonio, reaching her brother Rosario.
She was born in Castiglione, province of Catania. Is she your grandmother?

page 1

page 2

These are all the Nicola Russo arrivedto Ellis Island

http://stevemorse.org/goulnik/match1.ph ... &dwpdone=1

bye Riccardo
Sambina
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Sambina »

According to the marriage record in 1921 she was 25. I have a copy of the certificate.

Her father was Salvatore and her mother was Rose Santora.
"Siamo nati, viviamo e moriamo poi! Perché non ha un grande tempo mentre lei vivono! L'amore, vive, la festa, e guida con la cima giù sotto la pioggia! ED una volta lei ha vissuto, ha amato, il partied, e corso intorno con la cima giù morte è
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

But what of his age?
wldspirit
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

At this point, since her father's name is Salvatore, and it matches with that one on ship record, I suggest you to contact Castiglione di Sicilia civil record office, to request her birth certificate

Comune
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Piazza Lauria, 1
9012 Castiglione di Sicilia (CT)
Italy

servizidemografici@comune.castiglionedisicilia.ct.it

or rent Castiglione di Sicilia civil record microfilmto FHL (mormon church)

or contact Archivio di Stato di Catania

I hope it helps, bye Riccardo :lol:
Sambina
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Sambina »

Nicola Russo (married 1921 at age of 35)
Death: 11 Jul 1962

Parents were Alfio Russo from
and mother Carmela Licriordello.

Vincenza Camuglia (married 1921 at age of 25)
Death: 31 Jul 1928

Parents were Salvatore Comuglia
and mother Rose Santora.

They all made it to Rochester, NY. Nicola and Jennie (Vincenza) Russo had children and are both burried in Rochester, NY.

I know that Jennie (Vincenza Camuglia) was related to a Rosario, Salvatore, Anthony, Gracia (Grace) and 3-4 more siblings.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Then Ricbru has found your grandmother....nice work Ricbru.... :D

Now what are the names of Nicolo and Vincenza's children? The more details we have makes it possible to identify the correct family.
wldspirit
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Since you say that Jennie(Vincenza) was related to Salvatore, Rosario and Anthony, that one listed above on ship record is your Vincenza Camuglia.
About Nicolò Russo, request his marriage application and act, naturalization record (if any),death record and cemetery record, and social security death index
You will find there many informations, you may find his right date and place of birth, especcially on his naturalization record.
bye Riccardo
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

wldspirit wrote:Then Ricbru has found your grandmother....nice work Ricbru.... :D

Now what are the names of Nicolo and Vincenza's children? The more details we have makes it possible to identify the correct family.
wldspirit
Thanks wildspirit :lol:
bye Riccardo
Sambina
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Sambina »

Children listed below:

Carmella Russo 16 Jan 1922
Salvatore Russo 30 Jan 1923
Alfio Russo 30 Jan 1925

They are all still living and Carmella is my grandmother.

They were all born in Rochester, NY but my grandmother is the only one who still lives in Rochester, NY. I don't really know because my grandmother has been away for almost 4 months now so I can't really ask her and I don't really keep in touch with my great uncles so I don't have much more information about any of them.
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Sambina wrote:Nicola Russo (married 1921 at age of 35)
Death: 11 Jul 1962

Parents were Alfio Russo from
and mother Carmela Licriordello.
Alfio Russo is a typical name of Catania province, there are not LICRIORDELLO but there are many LICCIARDELLO, always in Catania province,
I hope it helps,
bye Riccardo :lol:
Sambina
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Sambina »

I do have the marriage license and it doesn't give exact anything. It does tell me the date and ages but that is all the information.

How do I get other records?

Thank you ALL!!
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Here there is Nicolò Russo also from Castiglione, who leaves at home his father Alfio Russo (this Nicolò Russo was born around 1884)

page 1

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0068%2ETIF

page 2

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0068%2ETIF

I hope it helps, bye Riccardo
Sambina
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Sambina »

Here there is Nicolò Russo also from Castiglione, who leaves at home his father Alfio Russo (this Nicolò Russo was born around 1884)

page 1

ellisisland.org/search...0068%2ETIF

page 2

ellisisland.org/search...0068%2ETIF

I hope it helps, bye Riccardo

This said that he was married when he came. Is it possible that this is him but with the wrong status? This sounds very much like him.

Thank you
:lol: