Gasperina\Olivadi\Corradino\Piperata

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
Mike112

Gasperina\Olivadi\Corradino\Piperata

Post by Mike112 »

My name is Michael Catrambone. I am new and thought I sent an inquiry but see no record of it so I obviously made an error. Sorry. I am searching my family tree of Catrambone/Madonna/Fulginiti/Corradino.
I am down to gg-grandparents in Gasperina. Now I am stumped by some new names and towns. My maternal gg-grandparents were Nicola Corradino, born in Olivadi and residing in Gasperina, married to Elisabetta Lombardo, of Gasperina. His parents were Domenico Corradino and Aurora Piperata both of Olivadi. How common are those names and where do I go from here? I have searched all the LDS tapes from 1809 to present. Ellis Island doesn't help until I know some birthdates. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

If you go to wwww.paginebianche.it and insert Corradino in fiurst line and Olivadi in third line and click CERCA a listing of 4 Corradino surnamed residents will appear by name,address and telephone number. I assume you will do the same with other surnames of interest to you and other towns if so inclined thus giving you same surname residents whom you may wish to communicate with by mail or telephone. I assume that when yoiu talk about how common are the surnames you are talking "local" and not Italy overall. Please advise. Peter
Mike112

Post by Mike112 »

Thank you, Peter. I appreciate your prompt reply. I meant local when I asked about the names. While searching various towns I noticed that some names never appear in a town but are quite common in another. Does that mean there wasn't much travel outside one's village and there might have been a lot of intermarriage? The name Piperata was a new one for our family. One which had never been mentioned. Now I know why....it was from another town. Even the name Corradino was from another town other than Gasperina.

I will do as you suggested and let you know how I make out.
Mike112

Thank You

Post by Mike112 »

Peter,

I just tried your suggestion. Wonderful! I found 4 Corradinos in Olivadi. None in Gasperina. I found no Piperatas in either Olivadi or Gasperina but found 19 in Petrizzi. Are they all in the same proximity?
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Yes all are in province of catanzaro. Olicadi Postal code 88067,Gasperina.tal code 88060 and same for Petrizzi. Peter
Marianne316
Rookie
Rookie

Re: GasperinaOlivadiCorradinoPiperata

Post by Marianne316 »

I have been researching my family history and have been especially concentrating on my maternal side.
For my maternal grandfather:
I have researched my great-grandparents to Gasperina - Vincenzo Fulginiti who married Gloria Santa Fiorentino before they emigrated to Philadelphia. His father's name was Giovanni Fulginiti & his mother's name was Caterina Raspa - that is as far as I can get.
I know that Vincenzo had a brother named Giuseppe and a sister named Teresa. (brother Giuseppe may have married a woman in Italy or US by the possible name of Teresa Telia & sister Teresa may have married a man in US or Italy with the surname Raspa)
Gloria Santa Fiorentino had 5 bothers: Michael, Severino (or Saverio), Domenico, Giuseppe, and Francesco. Her parents' names were Nicola Fiorentino and Marianna Catrambone.

For my maternal grandmother:
In neighboring Petrizzi I have researched my great-grandparents - Elizabetta (or Bettina) Condo who was married to Antonio Paravati (who later changed his name to Perry while living in Philadelphia). Antonio's father's name was Pietro. Pietro was married to a woman named Caterina (maiden name unknown). Antonio had 2 brothers (Domenic & Felix) and 3 sisters (Mary, Rose and Catherine).
Bettina's parents' names were Giovanni Condo and Rose Piperata. She had 2 sisters, Maria & Filomena, and a brother named Francesco.

If any of these names and/or corresponding towns sound like people who are also related to you or you have found in your research then please respond back to me!

Thanks! :D
Mike112

Post by Mike112 »

Marianne,

I just received notice of your query. I am happy to hear from you. I will check my files and see what I can come up with. All these names are like Smith and Jones in that area of Italy. I live outside of Philadelphia and once lived in Lancaster, PA. where all those names you mentioned are prevalent.

Mike
Marianne316
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Marianne316 »

I have distant cousins in Lancaster, PA area! We are probably related somewhere down the line!
Mike112

Post by Mike112 »

Marianne,
I just received this email. Isn't this interesting? You can email me at home if you want. The address is: ma.catrambone@verizon.net
Mike

Somewhere along the line I had a cousin maybe with the name Gregorio Fulginiti. I think he was my great-grandfather's cousin or nephew. I saw it on an Ellis Island manifest above my grandfather's name.

My great-grandfather's name was Vincenzo Fulginiti. His wife was also from Gasperina. Her name was Gloria Santa Fiorentino ----> her parents were Nicola Fiorentino and Marianna Catrambone.

Any similarities?

Marianne Baiocchi, CLUII
WELLS FARGO AUTO FINANCE
2501 Seaport Drive Suite BH300
Chester, PA 19013
Branch 5507 MAC #F6582-030
(800)-377-9946 x26885
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

Hi Mike and Marianne,

Do you know there is microfilm for the town of Gaserpina? The Family History Center does have microfilm for the town. Here is the link for the film numbers.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... =1&last=50

Matter of fact, I've done research for the town with the surnames Iemmello, Fulginiti, Siciliano, Grande, Truglione, Catrambone, and Russo.

Here's how the Fulginiti connect to the Iemmello Family:

Domenico Iemmello married Mariangiola Fulginiti.

Mariangiola Fulginiti (b. 21 Nov 1850) parents are Vincenzo Fulginiti and Marianna Rosa Siciliano.

Vincenzo Fulginiti (b. 8 Aug 1822) parents are Saverio Fulginiti and Innocenza Grande

Then there is this information too.

Mariangiola Truglione (b. 17 Jul 1813) parents are Giuseppe Truglione and Maria Rosa Catrambone.

In the end of May, I will be conducting another search in the town of Gasperina for the surname Celerico.

Oh, I forgot, here is the link to find the nearest Family History Center.
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... et_fhc.asp

And Mike, where in the Burbs are you? I'm in South Philly.

Smile for me!:)
Trish
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
Marianne316
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Marianne316 »

Trish - I'm in South Philly, too! The last time I went to a Family History Center was out on Paxon Hollow Rd across from the Lawrence Park Shopping Plaza a few years back but I really didn't know what I was doing or exactly how to research! Maybe I can meet up with you sometime when you're doing your research so I can learn how to do it efficiently!:)
Marianne316
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Marianne316 »

Trish - I'm in South Philly, too! The last time I went to a Family History Center was out on Paxon Hollow Rd across from the Lawrence Park Shopping Plaza a few years back but I really didn't know what I was doing or exactly how to research! Maybe I can meet up with you sometime when you're doing your research so I can learn how to do it efficiently!:)
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

Marianne316 wrote:Trish - I'm in South Philly, too! The last time I went to a Family History Center was out on Paxon Hollow Rd across from the Lawrence Park Shopping Plaza a few years back but I really didn't know what I was doing or exactly how to research! Maybe I can meet up with you sometime when you're doing your research so I can learn how to do it efficiently!:)
Dear Marianne,

Hi Neighbor!!:) I go the Family History Center in Cherry Hill, NJ. That is also where I teach the class. There is also a FHC in Broomall out by Sts. Peter & Paul Cemetery.

Also, maybe we can hook up for I don't mind helping you learn how to do your genealogy. Also, within the next two weeks I'll be at the NARA in Center City getting Naturalization Records as well as City Archives. I won't be hitting Trenton for the NJ State Archives till the middle of the month.

Email me sometime when your schedule is free.

Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
Marianne316
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Marianne316 »

Thanks, Trish!
I didn't realize there was on in Cherry Hill, too! I looked back to Peter's notes under this Forum topic and saw his reference to www.paginebianche.it and did my own searches and got addresses. I have done some cold-calling on local people who turned out to be relatives but never cold-called across the Atlantic! I am thinking of sending one form letter and cc'g all parties (per surname) and then see if I get a hit. What do you suggest? Should I send it in English and a translated version as well? I am guessing that would be the most appreciated way.
I work daily M-F until 6pm and I also work most Saturdays. Any research I would be doing would be in the evenings. When do you do your research? :?:
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

Marianne316 wrote:Thanks, Trish!
I didn't realize there was on in Cherry Hill, too! I looked back to Peter's notes under this Forum topic and saw his reference to www.paginebianche.it and did my own searches and got addresses. I have done some cold-calling on local people who turned out to be relatives but never cold-called across the Atlantic! I am thinking of sending one form letter and cc'g all parties (per surname) and then see if I get a hit. What do you suggest? Should I send it in English and a translated version as well? I am guessing that would be the most appreciated way.
I work daily M-F until 6pm and I also work most Saturdays. Any research I would be doing would be in the evenings. When do you do your research? :?:
Hi Marianne,

Here is a great form to use when writing to relatives in Italy. It's by David Zerga.
http://italiangenealogy.atspace.com/Dav ... #relatives

Here is the address to the Cherry Hill Center. They are open two nights. Everyone's willing to help.

Cherry Hill New Jersey
260 E Evesham Road
Cherry Hill, Camden, New Jersey,
Phone: 856-795-8841
Hours: Tues & Thurs - 6:30-10pm;
Wed, Thurs, & Sat - 9:30am-2:30pm

Let's just say that I work 24/7.lol I could be any where from grave hopping, to going to archives, to translating documents at midnight. I eat, sleep, and dream genealogy.lol So you'll have to let me know when you have time.

Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum