just starting out

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
patton449

just starting out

Post by patton449 »

recently my grandfather passed away :( and one of his biggest lifes goals was to find out more about his family. (he was mainly focusing on tracing our ancestors as far back as possible) I feel that some one should continue his research and accomplish his goal. I have plenty of time to do research, but a few more problems. ONE im not really sure were to search. I did several different google searches on research sources and then encoutered another problem. MONEY!!! could any one here tell me were some good places to start searching would be, FOR FREE.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: just starting out

Post by wldspirit »

There are a number of free sites, but not all of your research will be done online....for starters, familiarize yourself with basic genealogy research procedures.........
http://www.graonline.com/cgi-bin/gra/do ... gratrailer
if you can be more specific, we can point you in the right direction... :D
wldspirit
patton449

Post by patton449 »

what do you mean by more specific???
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Full names, dates of immigration, birth, marriage and death if known,
spouse with maiden name, children, location of residence, and what sources of info you have already collected, such as manifest, census, ect., ect.,.......this helps us to narrow down your search.......
Research cannot be done in Italy without knowing the exact town of origin as all records stay in the comuni........
wldspirit
joyse
Rookie
Rookie

Post by joyse »

It is also useful for people to know where you are located as different countries have different information available.

Joy :D
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Excellent point Joyce!!!!! :D
wldspirit
DonnaPellegrin
Veteran
Veteran

Post by DonnaPellegrin »

Your library would also be a great place to start out. Search your library catalogue for books on Italian genealogy. My personal favorite is Italian-American Family History by Sharon DeBartolo Carmack. You'll get a great overview of what records are available and how to search for them.

Also, if you take a trip to your local family history center, there are volunteers who will help you personally to get off to a good start. Check www.familysearch.org for the location most convenient for you.
Donna Pellegrin