Ellis Island Manifests

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Marisa6
Elite
Elite

Ellis Island Manifests

Post by Marisa6 »

Hi Folks

I have a question about Ellis Island manifests.

As I understand it, under Italian law a woman keeps the surname she was born with when it comes to any kind of legal documentation. Do the ships manifests at Ellis Island record womens married or maiden names? I have a friend whose grandfather's sisters all migrated to the States - but he doesn't know any of their married names.

Thanks

Marisa
Visocchi, Forte, Marcantonio, Iannetta
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Ellis Island Manifests

Post by jcsm400 »

Marisa6,

Have found that our Italian women coming through all ports, can be listed either by maiden name or married name. It depends on the name she provided :!:

:)
Marisa6
Elite
Elite

Post by Marisa6 »

Thanks - that clears that one up!

Marisa :wink:
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Marisa6,

Joyce is correct but usually the women do travell under their maiden names. They do not lose their names upon marriage. The children would travel under the fathers last name. Sometimes, a reference is made to the husbands last name in small print or in brackets.

I would try the maiden names first (remeber to include alternative speelings if you don't get results). If all else fails, you can try a child's name which often would have the parent joining them.

Ellis island is good, but one of the members here suggestted using www.stevemorse.org seach to manifests which has more options. Once you play with it, and understand how it works its an amazing site. I always use this now. You can even search by town! I still have trouble going through manifests frame by frame though. No patience I guess!

Hope this helps.
Nuccia :D
Marisa6
Elite
Elite

Post by Marisa6 »

Excellent - thanks. I'll see what I can find.

I know what you mean about squinting at old documents. You come away cross-eyed eventually! 8O I'm just at the end of a bit of research that involved transcribing the information on twelve thousand death certificates, and the same number of census entries. If I didn't need glasses before, I do now. Ah well - its all worth it in the end!

I'll get another look at those manifests and see if I can find anything. Failing that I'll ask my friend to put a posting here, and see if anyone elae has any ideas

love

Marisa xx
gems4me

Post by gems4me »

I have found that my great-grandmother came under her maiden name with the children listed under her married name.
Marisa6
Elite
Elite

Post by Marisa6 »

:lol: Hah - its all done to confuse :D

Keeps us on our toes eh?

Marisa
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Marisa,

Did your friend find the information or did she post?
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
Marisa6
Elite
Elite

Post by Marisa6 »

I don't think he has posted yet. Last I heard he was having computer problems. He is trying to find the town his grandfather came from and the trail has run cold. He knows his grandfather had several sisters who all emigrated to America, but doesn't know any of their married names - hence the question about maiden names. I have tried - but can't seem to find them. No doubt he will post soon I hope

Marisa xx
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

for law, also currently, always maiden name.. but sometime, but for error, the married name.. regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Marisa, but this sisters are emigrated with maiden name sure.... you can say us more? kisses, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Marisa6
Elite
Elite

Post by Marisa6 »

Hmm - I'm sure he won't mind if I copy his post here. It was posted on http://www.picinisco.net/index.php - hosted by Michel Vacca - an excellent site for anyone with an interest in Picinisco. The thread is under 'Achille Capaldi'

Hello,

I am currently trying to establish some details of my grand father, Achille Capaldi, who arrived in Scotland, Edinburgh circa 1905.

He had relatives in Scotland, however I am not sure of their names or how he was related.

He worked in Munich, Germany prior to Scotland.

I believe he originally came from the Picinisco area of Italy. Born 1879

His father's name was Sante Capaldi

His mother's name was Angela Maria Fusco

He had cousins in Scotland named Coppolla and Gizzi?

His sisters emigrated to USA. Chicago and New York

Names of possible relatives in USA: Philomena, Angelina, Leondra (Had son named Larry) Emanuel, Carmelia (had daughter Carol) and Emil Di Salve

Any specific or general information on, Achille and/or his relatives or Italian immigration to Scotland from the Picinisco area would be much appreciated.
Some of the spellings of the sisters names are a bit strange. Leondra may be Leonilda. Thre is a Leonilda Capaldi on a manifest somewhere. Other than that is is proving a little challenging! :roll: But until he posts there is not much we can do.

hugs and kisses

Marisa xx