MT Eve

Genetic genealogy is the application of genetics to traditional genealogy. Genetic genealogy involves the use of genealogical DNA testing to determine the level and type of the genetic relationship between individuals.
Palermo Trapani

Re: MT Eve

Post by Palermo Trapani »

MarcuccioV wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 01:42 BTW, U3b2 is primarily Sicilian (it's also found in Hungary, Turkey & the Levant). So the one German match most likely has either a Hungarian or Sicilian in the maternal woodpile...

It also likely has ancient origins with the Romani of northern Asia (India)...
Correct, and U3b2a is found in Central Italy, Armenia and Turkey.
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

Palermo Trapani wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 05:57
MarcuccioV wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 01:42 BTW, U3b2 is primarily Sicilian (it's also found in Hungary, Turkey & the Levant). So the one German match most likely has either a Hungarian or Sicilian in the maternal woodpile...

It also likely has ancient origins with the Romani of northern Asia (India)...
Correct, and U3b2a is found in Central Italy, Armenia and Turkey.
I have not yet found out how my U3B2 got up to near Rome (where my grandparents were from) or when. My autosomal DNA shows a not-too-distant connection to Sicily (and more distant to Caucasus/Turkey) but the paper trail (back to around 1800) starts & ends in the same commune in Lazio.

So at some point someone from my grandmother's direct female line migrated (or was brought) north...
Mark

If you ignore your foundation, your house will eventually collapse...

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci DelBrusco Falera Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
Palermo Trapani

MarcuccioV: Could have gotten there during the Roman Imperial Period. At that time Armenia and what is now Turkey would have been part of the Roman empire. Alternatively, perhaps some of your ancestors where Eastern Catholics who fled the Ottomans and came into Italy say in the early 14th century, etc.
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

Palermo Trapani wrote: 26 Apr 2022, 06:44 MarcuccioV: Could have gotten there during the Roman Imperial Period. At that time Armenia and what is now Turkey would have been part of the Roman empire. Alternatively, perhaps some of your ancestors where Eastern Catholics who fled the Ottomans and came into Italy say in the early 14th century, etc.
Anything is possible. Since I can't get back any farther (as yet), I just have to go by what my results indicate...
Mark

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci DelBrusco Falera Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
Palermo Trapani

MarcuccioV: Have you uploaded your DNA to GEMATCH or Admixturestudio and run some of those calculators to see what could be a way to capture source ancestry. Could be at the autosomal level, your going to cluster with Central Italian populations (I suspect that is the case) while your Mtdna is U3ba2 as you suggest probably came from the Southern Caucus region.
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

Palermo Trapani wrote: 26 Apr 2022, 19:38 MarcuccioV: Have you uploaded your DNA to GEMATCH or Admixturestudio and run some of those calculators to see what could be a way to capture source ancestry. Could be at the autosomal level, your going to cluster with Central Italian populations (I suspect that is the case) while your Mtdna is U3ba2 as you suggest probably came from the Southern Caucus region.
Yes, GEDMATCH. There is definitely West Asian and Caucasus depending on which oracle you look at.

I actually match closer to Southern Italian/Sicilian than Roman (as far as the oracle populations indicate). My grandfather's surname (based solely on popularity) seems to have arrived in the ancestral hometown fairly recently to the civil records cutoff. In my grandmother's case (mtDNA source), some surnames are deep-rooted in the area, but those related to the direct maternal line are again uncommon, so perhaps recent arrivals to the area as well.

Unfortunately, with no further documentation, it's pretty much all conjecture...
Mark

Palermo Trapani

MarcuccioIV: I get Dodecad12b distances of < 5 for Campania (3.5), Molise (3.65), Abruzzo (3.83), Sicily (4.03) and Basilicata (4.71). Between 5 and 10, Calabria (5.85), Puglia (6.29), Marche (7.04), Lazio (7.65), Umbria (8.2).

6 Greek populations that fall within 6 and 10, 3 Jewish Groups (Italian, Moldovian, AJ). 2 populations are at 10 rounded down (< 10.5), Romagna and Greek-Crete.

I am over at Eupedia, which you sited. Some very sharpe moderators and advisors regarding Italian genetics who are good with modeling modern Italians, I think quite accurately.

Haplogroups are interesting, on my Y, I am I-M223, which was found in Mesolithic Europe, in the South of Europe during the Refugia from LGM, and it has been found in Late Mesolithic Italy (Lazio and Sicily), seems to have went back into Central Europe where my sub-clade seemed to have arisen with the Yamnaya. From there probably came back into Italy somewhere and eventually my line would up in NW Sicily. I haven't done FTDNA Big Y yet but I am going to do it, I think they have a similar test for mtdna haplo as well.

Buona Giornata.
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

In my case, only my maternal side is Italian/Med. My paternal side is predominantly UK/NW Eur with possibly <10% Italian (that I'm having difficulty tracing). My Y haplo is R-Z19, but that doesn't help me. Within Italy, my 23&Me results show strong ties to Campania, Lazio, Abruzzo, Sicily and Puglia with negligible strength elsewhere.

My FTDNA mtDNA results show my closest matches as originating in Sicily over the last couple hundred years. Therefore, logic tells me that mine must be from close to the same region or there would be more (or different) mutations. I think the only non-Sicilian close match that has cropped up was Macedonia.

The German match was an outlier. It was missing a mutation or 2, and I have no northern/Central European on that side...
Mark

Palermo Trapani

Ok, got it English/Scottish on Fathers side, Italian on Mother.
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

joetucciarone wrote: 08 Jul 2021, 10:56 Darkerhorse - you're right; the currently accepted theory is that everyone alive today is descended from "Mitochondrial Eve," our most recent common ancestor, who lived in Africa about 100,000 to 200,000 years ago:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitochondrial_Eve
https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg ... -ancestor/

I recently watched a TV documentary called "The Evolution of Us," made in 2016. It suggested that black skin protected humans in Africa from the sun's ultraviolet radiation. As Mark noted, when these early humans migrated out of Africa into northern, cloudier regions, lighter skin evolved to take advantage of the lesser sunlight they encountered.
black skin "evolved" into "lighter" skin or was it that lighter skinned individuals from Africa were more likely to survive on the way north?

cf: did giraffes "evolve" longer necks to reach leaves on higher branches or were those with longer necks more likely to survive?

J.B. LaMarck?