Finding My Grandfather

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ChuckP

Still Looking for Grandpa

Post by ChuckP »

Hi Peter, I received the NATF Form 81 in the mail today. Some of the answers to questions in section A (Identification of Entry) are unknown to me. I know his name and country of origin, and he was a male, thats all.

How are the individuals going to be able to research the information for me?
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I really don't know what mehtodology they employ but you can always write and ask them. I gave them my grandfathers name and a ship['s name that I thought he was on and they came thru for me. Peter
ChuckP

Still Looking

Post by ChuckP »

Thank you for your reply. What information did they get for you?
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

They sent me a copy of his manifest since it was not available in the ellis island website and the datge of arrival. Peter
ChuckP

Grandfather

Post by ChuckP »

Hi, I found the birth certificate for my grandfather. It states on the top San Giorgio Del Sannio, Provincia di Benevento. How can I write to that place to research back further in time?
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

.....By going back in time!. Go to www.ellisisland.org and look upo his arrival in the USA and check out the ships manifest for any information on him. But since you have his full name and date of birth you can also go to www.paginebianche.it and purt in his surname in the first line and the town in the third line and click CERCA. if there is anybody in that town with his surname then a listing of full name,address and telephopne number o that person or persons will appear. You can the consider what you want to do in furtherance of your research. Do you want additional documents. Do you know his parents names? Do you want to locate relatives? Can you write in Italian. Please let me know so that I can direcxt your efforts since you have to do the research. Peter
ChuckP

Finding Grandpa

Post by ChuckP »

Hi Peter, I received some paper information form the U.S. Dept of Justice. The declaration of Intention sows my Grandpa was born in St. Giorgio, La Montagna, Italy. He arrived in the United States port of New York April 30, 1913 on the ship named Mandozza. I still can't locate the ship manifest. Could you help me please. His name is Vincezo Mirra.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

The ship arrived in Boston Massachusetts and is called the SS MENDOZA on April 29, 1913 and did not proceed to NYC so the manifest is in Boston. E-mail Waltham.archives@nara.gov and ask them for a copy of the intent to become a citizen filed by your grandfather. Give them name,date of birth, arrival data,town of origin in Italt and where he settled when he got here. They will e-mail you back if they find a record to match your information but they will not make a copy and send it to you until they recveive the $10.00 fee.

The other alternative is to go to the momron family history library and look up Boston Passenger list indexes 1902-1920 for your grandfather under Microfilm#T521-6 which corresponds withFHL#1324979 for the manifest. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I just looked over the manifest and he was alreay a landed immigrant when he last arrived but the manifest showed his last trip (may not have been the first trip back to Italy) was August 1915. Go check the manifest. Peter
ChuckP

Post by ChuckP »

Hi, I cant find the one you are talking about I went to the manifest for the ship name Duca D' Aosta and it arrived Oct 1919.

I see a Vincenzo Mirra, but the wife and son are not a match.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

oopS! pETER
ChuckP

Grandfather

Post by ChuckP »

Hi Peter, do you have an e-mail address? I would like to show you an e-mail I received from Baerbel from the Later Day Saints.

I may help
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

sent you message via private mail. Peter