Della Loggia of Brigadoon J/K Montepagano

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
LoralDojo
Rookie
Rookie

Della Loggia of Brigadoon J/K Montepagano

Post by LoralDojo »

I am trying to locate info on the Della Loggia family that originated in Montepagano/Roseta area of Teramo.

I have located the ship manifest info from Ellis Island on my great-grandfather...which tells me his age and the year he entered the country. How do I segway this information to find his birth record, and where do I write to to get it? Montepagano, Roseto?

Also what is Guardia Vomano? and why do the LDS have so many records from that area in Teramo?
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

to find any posssible famiuly members in the town(s) youmention go to www.paginebianche.it for a directory of persons with that surname in the town(s) clikcing CERCA each time you change name or town.

As for obtaining documents write in talian to the Ufficio Di Stato Civile in the town of origin and you can use his year of birth which you can calculate from the ellis Island records. go to www.circolocalabrese.org/resources/letters/index.asp for italian form letters.

guardia volamno have no meaning for me so I cannot help you without further explanation. Peter
LoralDojo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by LoralDojo »

Thanks Peter.

Those are good ideas, but before I get drastic I am thinking of going down to an LDS library and viewing some microfilm of civil records from the area.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

good but whats guardia vomano? and dont you sign you name when you write to a person ( I am not a robot!). Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

go to the International reference unit of the LDS in Salt Lake City. Call 801-240-6289 and/or send e-mail Johnsonbx@ldschurch.org. Peter
LoralDojo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by LoralDojo »

Sorry Peter, I assumed you could see my screen name on the side of my post and so knew it was me.

Guardia Vomano. as near as I can figure, is the name of a town in Teramo where there are many civil records of Di Luzio's.

Since I last wrote I have managed to figure out the LDS batch numbers for several towns in Teramo. I am thinking of typing them all up in case anybody needs one.

LoralDojo :D
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

OK Peter
norbertogallo

Post by norbertogallo »

There is a grat confusion in italian towns organization, I know...
However: Guardia Vomano is an ancient town, now part of a larger town Notaresco in province of Pescara Teramo. Same for Montepagano that is part of Roseto degli Abruzzi (province of Teramo).
You have to write to this towns to have informations also regarding the most ancient towns, specifying your needs.

norberto
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

These are frazione of the towns and if you go to the town index in this website you will get not only the town but the map of the area as well. Peter
LoralDojo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by LoralDojo »

Thanks Norberto,

I kind of figured that Montepagano was just an area outside of what is now Roseta.

I did not realize the same was true of Guardia Vomano and Notaresco. That would explain why the ancestors who came to this country in the early 1900's would state they were from Notaresco when clearly the records are in the civil register of Guardia Vomano.

Are you familiar with Cellino Attanasio?

Lori
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Cellino Attanasio, Postal code 64036, Province of Teramo, Abruuzzo region. Peter
norbertogallo

Post by norbertogallo »

All the towns tou're talking about are towns in the province of Teramo, on an ancient route on river Vomano towards the sea.
On this way there was the passage of sheeps twice a year from the high ground in the hills to the coast and vice versa. It is one of the ways for the 'Transumanza', the passage of lands done every year by the Abruzzo's shepherds on the ancient rome's way of the salt, the 'via salaria'.
For this reason is very easy for you to find same surnames all along this way.

norberto
LoralDojo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by LoralDojo »

Norberto,

I have an old (printed 1900) guide book to Southern Italy and Sicily that mentions the area you are speaking of and something it calls the Gran Sasso. Do you know what this area is?

I have found the records at LDS of Guardia Vomano, I have also come across a place called Basciano. Is Basciano a similar area of Teramo? Would it be close enough to the area that is now Roseta to warrant my looking through the records?

Thanks,
Lori
norbertogallo

Post by norbertogallo »

Lori,

yes,
basciano is again a town on the river Vomano, on the same route to the sea.
There was many routes to move sheep from mountains to the sea. The larger part of them started from just the Gran Sasso (translated it sounds like Big Stone) that is the most high mountain of center Italy, and went to the sea among some grass rivers called 'tratturi'.
Regarding the surname you're searching for, I think that is preferable a research on the civil records from the towns you're sure your ancestors came. Della Loggia is a very common surname in Abruzzo, due to the meaning of 'coming from the tableland', related to the grat number of shepherds coming from the mountains to the sea.

Norberto
LoralDojo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by LoralDojo »

Norberto,

And we always thought the name meant "from the balcony". Thanks

Lori