Brugnoli Family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Miss

Brugnoli Family

Post by Miss »

I am trying to trace my husbands family. His Great Grandfather John (Joanis) Brugnoli born c1819 in Italy arrived in London England Between 1851 and 1859. His fathers name is Antonio Brugnoli, occupation a Butcher. John's occupation was an asphalt worker and I have been led to believe that he came from Northern Italy, but I have not idea where can anyone help?
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Brugnoli Family

Post by brujaojos »

Miss wrote:I am trying to trace my husbands family. His Great Grandfather John (Joanis) Brugnoli born c1819 in Italy arrived in London England Between 1851 and 1859. His fathers name is Antonio Brugnoli, occupation a Butcher. John's occupation was an asphalt worker and I have been led to believe that he came from Northern Italy, but I have not idea where can anyone help?

Hi,

By any chance is this your John in the 1871 English Census?

Name: John Brignoli
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1823
Relation: Head
Spouse's name: Catherine
Where born: Italy

Civil Parish: Ely Rents and Hatton Garden and Saffron Hill
Ecclesiastical parish: St Peter
County/Island: London

Registration district: Holborn
Sub-registration district: Saffron Hill
ED, institution, or vessel: 2
Household schedule number: 298
Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 376; Folio: 66; Page: 53; GSU roll: 824616.

Household Members: Name Age
Catherine Brignoli 28
Dominic Brignoli 11
John Brignoli 48
Rose Brignoli 2

If the John above is your ancestor, then here he is in the 1881 English Census.

Name: John Brugnolo
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1823
Relation: Head
Spouse's name: Kithirne
Where born: Italy

Civil Parish: St Andrews
County/Island: London

Street address: 86 Gt Saffron Hill
Condition as to marriage: Married

Registration district: Holborn
Sub-registration district: Saffron Hill
ED, institution, or vessel: 2
Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 343; Folio: 50; Page: 32; Line: ; GSU roll: 1341075.

Household Members: Name Age
Ann Brugnolo 8
Dominic Brugnolo 20
John Brugnolo 58
Kithirne Brugnolo 41

Still looking
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
Miss

Post by Miss »

Thanks Trish, you have the right family. I have them on the census for 1861, 1871 and 1881 but all it tells me is born Italy not where. I have found numerous spellings of the name, Dominic Brugnoli was registered at birth in 1861 as Dominic Brimialli. Everytime I have tried to find where in Italy they came from I just seem to hit a brick wall. Catherine Brugnoli was Catherine Canepo before here marriage to John. I have found her family on the 1851 census but there is no sign of John on the 1851 which is why I presume he didn't arrive till after then. John Brugnoli died in 1884, and I think Catherine remarried but I haven't followed that up. Hopefully one day I will get round that brick wall!!!
Miss

Post by Miss »

A bit more info that I have: John married Catherine Canipo on 1 November 1857 at the Church of the Holy Family, Great Saffron Hill. John dies on the 19th June 1883. Catherines father was Lawrence, a musician.
Marco
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Marco »

Brugnoli/Brignoli is common in Lombardy. I have two Brignolis in my ancestor's tree and the name was spelled Brugnoli when they moved to another town. My Brignolis were Maria Brignoli, born in Peia in 1759, died in Gandino Oct 23rd 1803, daughter of Orazio and wife of Andrea Torri. Peia and Gandino are both in the province of Bergamo (Peia being smaller). Canepo doesn't exist today in Italy, but Canepa is very common in Liguria.
Unfortunately both surnames are common, so trying all town-halls is impossible. What led you to think of Northern Italy (which I think is absolutely correct)? Family tradition? Don't you remeber any other name? Sometimes even first names may help if they are really unusual.

Good luck!
Marco
Chi fûr li maggior tui?
Miss

Post by Miss »

Hi Marco
Thanks for your message. I think the family is from northern Italy purely because a number of people have suggested it is the most likely area. I have been told that asphalters tend to come from that region - Emilia Romagna.
John (Joannis) Brugnoli came to England but I do not think the rest of the family came too as I have no evidence for that. I have his fathers name and occupation from a marriage certificate - Antoine Brugnoli occ. Butcher.
Catherine Canepo/Canipo born c.1843 had a sister Rose born c1839, her parents were Lorenzo Canipo born c1801 occ a musician and Maria. The Canipo family arrived in London England sometime after 1843 and before 1851. I do not know what happened to this family as I have been unable to trace them after the 1851 census, apart from Catherine that is.

Best wishes
Susan
emanuelli

Post by emanuelli »

I know of a Brugnoli family that came form Borgo al di Taro (Borgotaro) in the Provincia di Parma in Reggio Emilia in Northern Italy. I believe they emigrated to New York where a certain John Brugnoli made a name for himself as a musician and composer of popular Italian music.

Best regards Tony
Miss

Post by Miss »

Hi Tony
Thanks for the information however I do not have any evidence of the family going to New York. I do have a strong feeling though that they came from Emillia Romagna area as I have found 4 Antionio Brugnoli on the IGI christened Campegine, Reggio Nell'Emilia, Reggio Emilia, Italy, one of these could be the father of John(Joannis) Brugnoli. I anyone has access to these records and is able to do a look up for me I would be very grateful.

Thank you

Susan
nuthatch

Post by nuthatch »

Is there somewhere that the records of marriages at the Holy Family, Gt Saffron Hill can be searched. i am looking for one Aug 1863. Ellen Cleary?
Miss

Post by Miss »

Hi
I do not know if the registers are available for public research, but if you contact the catholic family history society they have access to them.
Miss

Post by Miss »

Hi

I have finally discovered that my Brugnoli family came from Borgo Val Di Toro, Italy. Does anyone know if the church records are available online?