Guardavalle

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
naillady4jm
Rookie
Rookie

Guardavalle

Post by naillady4jm »

Grand-parents were born there in 1879 and 1896,is it in what is called Catanzaro?I`m getting excited about finding all I can for my mom who has given up. I don`t want to let her down.I don`t find GUARDAVELLE ON A MAP.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: Guardavalle

Post by nuccia »

Heres a map of the area..

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?fo ... e&zipcode=

I have several relatives who live there, both in the Marina and on the mountain.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
naillady4jm
Rookie
Rookie

Post by naillady4jm »

nuccia,Thanks for the link. Next time you talk to them could you ask if they know any living Martinis or Bevilacqua. Have you ever been there. We almost went to Rome for an 25th but until we get my hertiage all figured out to trace their steps.
I`m doing this for my mom who is 81 and not in great health.She always wanted to do it and I`m going to see it thru.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

I promise the next time I talk to my cousins I will ask. Meanwhile, here is the listings in the Italian Phone Book for your surnames...

Martinis in Guardavalle

Bevilacqua in Guardavalle

Hope this helps.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

I had to post again because one of the Bevilacqua...Rocco, lives on the same street as my cousin Giuseppe. Its in a "newer" area down in the marina. I spent most of my time there when I visited. Think I still have pictures of the area, too. The street is not that big and on a dead end. :D

Keep in mind though that the last time I visited was 16 years ago! I will try and contact my cousin later in the week to see if he knows them and how well. My cousin has been there a long time and owns the local gas station so its quite possible they have met.

What is your moms name and info? Grandparents names? Is there another thread..I see you have quite a few posts and I started writing this before I had time to check... :oops:
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
naillady4jm
Rookie
Rookie

Post by naillady4jm »

nucci,I have a thread with the info on it. But grand-pops name was Agazio Martinis born 1879 there in Guardavalle and Married his second wife Amalia Bavilacqua daughter of Raffaele Bavilacqua,had a brother Raffaele.
I would love to see pictures of the area,do you have then in a photo album on line? I hope Rocco has some knowledge of them.I think there was a Bavilacquaa bishop or something in that order in Philadelphia,P.A..
naillady4jm
Rookie
Rookie

Post by naillady4jm »

nuccia wrote:I promise the next time I talk to my cousins I will ask. Meanwhile, here is the listings in the Italian Phone Book for your surnames...

Martinis in Guardavalle

Hope this helps.
All the ones for Martinis have the names of some of my family.How do I find out if they are related to us?
naillady4jm
Rookie
Rookie

Post by naillady4jm »

nuccia wrote:I promise the next time I talk to my cousins I will ask. Meanwhile, here is the listings in the Italian Phone Book for your surnames...

Martinis in Guardavalle

Hope this helps.
When I click on Bevilacqua and one has a mail envelope when open it has something in Italian,what does it say?Hope It says we are looking for my family lol.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

I have no idea what that means!!! I tried to translate it once using an electronic translator and got no where.

As for finding out if you are related, you have a couple of options. One would be to actually phone them which can be awkward if you don't speak Italian and of course getting a phone call from a stranger can be quite uncomfortable.

Another way would be to write a letter (write a standard one in English and someone here can help you to translate it to Italian) and then just forward it to the address. You may even want to include a photo of yourself or your mom...and..

I made a mistake..its Roberto who lives next to my cousin Giuseppe. I am going to check if my cousin has a fax at the gas station..then we can just fax him...no promises though. I know there is a public phone and perhaps that is what the envelope means. Maybe they don't have a phone and use a public one???? Need confirmation with that...

As for the pictures...I have them in a photo album..will dig them out and scan them to the computer. Will do my best for you...
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
naillady4jm
Rookie
Rookie

Post by naillady4jm »

Nuccia,thanks for the reply and I`m going to Florida to see my mom this coming Friday and I will take a more update picture of her ,incase I send a letter to those addresses.You are a big help. I heard from my brother that the reason they first picked WV,U.S.A.,was it had lots of mountains and reminded him of his home.
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

Inoltre sono pubblicati due simboli, una bustina ed una cornetta telefonica in corrispondenza degli abbonati che hanno espresso il consenso all'utilizzo del proprio indirizzo o numero di telefono per ricevere da parte di terzi informazioni commerciali, materiale pubblicitario o per essere contattati ai fini di vendita diretta o di ricerche di mercato.
The crux of this extract of information is this:
"In addition we are publishing two symbols, an envelope and a telephone handset next to those subscribers that have given their consent to use their private address or telephone number to enable contact to be made by third parties with commercial information, publicity or to be contacted with the scope of direct **SPAM** or market research."

The remainder of the text is of little interest except as a 'pre-amble'

Hope that clarifies the question....

elba
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Did you happen to notice that Roberto Bevilaqua and Cosimo Martinis live on the same street? Via Provinciale....related to one another perhaps???

Just called my Dad but he wasn't home. I think Via Provinciale is the main road...the one my cousin has the Gas Station on. There are railroad tracks just across the street and then the beach is after that. (Going on memory here).

Need to talk to my Dad...
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

nuccia wrote:Did you happen to notice that Roberto Bevilaqua and Cosimo Martinis live on the same street? Via Provinciale....related to one another perhaps???
Almost certainly - this fits in with the Italian culture - Families do tend to remain living close...
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Thanks elba..sort of like a public telephone then?

Guardavalle seems to be coming up a lot lately. Notice Simy posted my zucchero songs?? (You know what I'm talking about, right?) We would play them in Guardavalle since I would spend so much time there.

Elba you are amazing. Thanks for the translation! Do you think if this poster wrote a simple letter you might help with a translation? Only if you have time of course... :D
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

naillady4jm wrote:Nuccia,thanks for the reply and I`m going to Florida to see my mom this coming Friday and I will take a more update picture of her ,incase I send a letter to those addresses.You are a big help. I heard from my brother that the reason they first picked WV,U.S.A.,was it had lots of mountains and reminded him of his home.
You're welcome! Quite possible about WV..many of my family went there and then to Penn, Ohio and New York. But, was there also a mining community there? Many immigrants were offered work as miners and people from the town or in families would often travel to the same place to get work.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database