Cappato / Capato/ Capatto´s family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

go to www.paginebianche.it and insert one or more of the family names in the first line (you apparently do not know the correct surname so you will have to explore that) and the town of Loreo in the third line and then click cerca. If there are persons with one of the last names they may be related to you and you may wish to write them and ask them if they are related to you. You can write in Italian or very simple english since English is the second languiage in the schools. If you know the correct last name then please get back to me if you have difficulty. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

The correct last name is CAPPATO but there are no Cappato in Loreo but many in the province of Rovifo in which Loreo is a part. You may have to write to the Ufficio di Stato Civile, Postale 45017, Comune di Loreo, Provincia Rovigo , Veneto Italia for documents if you have the correct name and at least the year of birth for your rleatives. Peter
eapato

Re: Cappato / Capato/ Capatto´s family

Post by eapato »

I too am looking for family in Italy, not to sure where to look seeings how my gg grandfather changed his last name when he came over. I didn't find out he had changed the last name till I spoke with another Apato family of Chicago, who's great or great great gandfather had come over on the same ship as mine. What I did find out from the other family is that the last name was Capato or Cappato, and they both changed it to Apato once in the US (the other Apato family has recently changed it to Lapato btw the other Apato family is origianlly from Brazill). I was not able to find my gg grandfather in manafests or anything just in the 1900 and 1910 United States Census. His name was Raffaelle (sp?) he came over in about 1880 and was born about 1857 in Italy, and I know his mother Antonia came over and lived with him in about 1885. Any help locating info on him and his family and living family would be of great help! Thanks in advance Liz
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

eapato wrote:I too am looking for family in Italy, not to sure where to look seeings how my gg grandfather changed his last name when he came over. I didn't find out he had changed the last name till I spoke with another Apato family of Chicago, who's great or great great gandfather had come over on the same ship as mine. What I did find out from the other family is that the last name was Capato or Cappato, and they both changed it to Apato once in the US (the other Apato family has recently changed it to Lapato btw the other Apato family is origianlly from Brazill). I was not able to find my gg grandfather in manafests or anything just in the 1900 and 1910 United States Census. His name was Raffaelle (sp?) he came over in about 1880 and was born about 1857 in Italy, and I know his mother Antonia came over and lived with him in about 1885. Any help locating info on him and his family and living family would be of great help! Thanks in advance Liz
Hi Liz,

I don't know if this is a double post or not. If it is, I'm sorry for double posting. If it's not, I'm sorry that we missed your post from the other day.

This is the 1900 Census for Raffaele Apato. Per this census he was married around 1884-1886. He came to the USA around 1880 and already Naturalized prior to 1900. His wife, Antonia had 9 children and 8 survived. Also note that Raffaele's mother is listed as age 72. The mother is a widow and had 7 children and only 2 survived. She came around 1885 to the USA.

Name: Rafelle Appatto
Home in 1900: Chicago Ward 31, Cook, Illinois
Estimated birth year: abt 1858
Birthplace: Italy
Relationship to head-of-house: Head
Spouse's name: Minnie
Mother's name: Antonia
Race: White
Immigration year: 1880
Source Citation: Year: 1900; Census Place: Chicago Ward 31, Cook, Illinois; Roll: T623 285; Page: 8B; Enumeration District: 983.

Household Members:
Name Age
Rafelle Appatto 42
Minnie Appatto 30
Antonio Appatto 14
Benjamine Appatto 12
Thomas Appatto 10
Rosy Appatto 8
George Appatto 6
Michael Appatto 4
Francis Appatto 3
Vitter Appatto 2
Antonia Appatto 72

Name: Ralph Apato
Age in 1910: 53
Estimated birth year: abt 1857
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Spouse's name: Minnie
Home in 1910: Chicago Ward 31, Cook, Illinois
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Year of Immigration: 1881
Source Citation: Year: 1910; Census Place: Chicago Ward 31, Cook, Illinois; Roll: T624_278; Page: 8B; Enumeration District: 1366; Image: 332.

Household Members:
Name Age
Ralph Apato 53
Minnie Apato 39
Anthony Apato 24
Benjamin Apato 22
Caomi Apato 20
Theresa Apato 18
George Apato 16
Micheal Apato 14
Frances Apato 13
Victor Apato 11
Louise Apato 9
Loretta Apato 7

This could be the death information for Raffaele Apato Illinois

Name - Certificate Number - Death Date - County
APATO, RALPH - 6014881 - May 2, 1917 - COOK

Still looking
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Somes records that may provide some additioinal information?

Illinois Statewide Death Index, pre 1916.

CAPATO, MICHELE 06/14/1900 CHICAGO 70 YR U 00003142 COOK

NAME-DATE-CITY-AGE-CERT#-COUNTY
APATO, SALVATOR 09/18/1907 CHICAGO 05 YR U 00000210 COOK
APATO, VINCENC 05/12/1896 CHICAGO 06 MO U 00000285 COOK
APATO, VINCENZO 05/02/1907 COOK COUNTY 77 YR U 00000448 COOK

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
eapato

Post by eapato »

Sorry it took so long to reply I have written on sooo many sites I loose track. I do have all that Information. By word of mouth we were told by the other Apato family of Chicago that it was Capato, I do beleive I found my gggrandfather in a manafest but the year of arrival is a little off from what is recorded on the census. But the birth year is right, and he is listed as Raffaele Caputo (if u look close enough it could be a u or it could be an a, easy mistake) the ship name was the Caldera and he came over June 16, 1882. So there may very well be a little back up to the story.
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

It's common for immigration year on censuses to be off.

Is this your ggggranfather? Have you obtained his death record?

APATO, RALPH M/W Age:UNK - Cert# 6014881 -
died: 1917-05-02 COOK CHICAGO filed: 17-05-03

Other records

Birth records for all the children? Their baptismal records? Ralph's naturalization record? Antonia's death certificate?

jcsm

PS. You can set your preferences to recceive an email when a reply has been posted.
eapato

Post by eapato »

Yes that is my great great grandfather. I'm not to sure how to obtain those records. I'm also not to sure how to obtain the birth records for the children, because I was told that untill my grandfather passes and I can get his birth certificate and death record that I am not intitled to my great grandfathers records let alone my great great grandfathers. I can't find a naturalization record for Raffaele anywhere nor for his wife Minnie (Vincenzina Santore), and I'm not sure if Antonia has a naturalization record or not.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

I live in Illinois....you can send to Irad or to the county clerk:

http://vitalrec.com/ilcounties5.html#Cook

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/Genea ... fform.html

fees should be listed....
wldspirit
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

I've requested many records from Cook County & got them.....I'm not even related to the people who I requested records for!

You may want to specify that it is a genealogical request & include your photo ID.

Recommend the county clerk's office, I hear that IRAD takes a very, long time (6 months or more).

Hope this helps.
jcsm
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

I've had records back from Irad in two weeks time.....depends on the time of the year....many of the repositories are staffed by college students.

**NOTE: Our regional depositories are staffed by graduate student interns. Because of class scheduling conflicts, hours may vary somewhat from the above schedule. Researchers are urged to call before planning a visit to a depository.

If requesting vital records..make sure to ask for a genealogical copy, it will be stamped as such and cost less than a certified copy.

wldspirit
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Wow!

Only tried IRAD once, because it took them 8 months for a marriage record. Oh, well....just glad I got it.

:) jcsm
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Wonder if it's because your out of state.....perhaps they answer the Illinois residents first??? I would of sent a follow up letter, which I think they say 6 to 8 weeks.....sounds like somebody lost yours in the shuffle!!!!

Because I am a resident, I can also email them.....they have usually replied within 1 - 3 days......saves time to be sure!!

wldspirit
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Could be, Lisa.
I gave up on IRAD & sent request to the county clerk & got it in abt 4 weeks. Was really surprised 6 months later when the other one came.

jcsm
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Well if you ever have need to use them again, let me know...I'll send it out....save you the out of state fee!!!! :wink:
Lisa