Where to Start

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
area

Where to Start

Post by area »

Hello Everyone...I am new to this forum and I really don't know where to start. Hopefully I can get some guidence, and some useful information. I will begin by briefly tell you what I'm looking for. My father was born at Santo Spirito hospital in Rome in 1941. He was given up for adoption at birth. The hospital gave him his last name PICCIOLETTI. This last name was given to him because the last person with this last name had died almost 100yrs prior...I know this sounds bizarre, but its what he has told me...I've done so many name searches, and yet to find someone with this last name. He has no record of his birth mother, as he search for over a decade. His adopted parents had no records. I like to help my father by finding some information about his past, but I don't know where to start....Please help....Many Thanks
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Where to Start

Post by ricbru »

Dear area,
have you got your father birth record from Rome vital record office or from Santo Spirito Hospital?
After that you can try to ask, to Ministero dell'Interno (Department of Home affair) to have the name of the birth mother, even if the privacy law is really though.
Let us know
bye Riccardo
area

Post by area »

Thank You Ricardo,

I don't think we have the birth record from the Rome Vital Office...I live in Totonto, Canada...Would you know how I can possibly get these records??? Any help that you can offer will be greatly appriciated.

Grazie Tanto...
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

area,

I also live in Toronto. If theres anything I can do to help, feel free to ask.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Hello you can request his birth certificate to

Comune
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Via Petroselli
00100 Roma
Italy

The birth certificate from the hospital to

Direzione
Ospedale Santo Spirito
Lungotevere in Sassia 1
00100 Roma
Italy

I hope it helps,
bye Riccardo
area

Post by area »

Thank you everyone for your response.....I asked my father today if he had a birth cerificate and he says that he does....there's one problem...there are no parents named...only witnesses...I'm really confused its like a big secret....Was he a War baby??? Are his parents from Germay or France??? I don't get it!! Question...Whats the next step, now that I have this birth certificate??? I really want to do this for my father...he's had such a lonely life growing up...spent most of his younger years try to make a little bit of money so he can look for his parents...he has no siblings and he lost his wife (my mother) at such a young age...he carries the pain of being adopted with him everyday, as he's search so hard and so long....Is there a possibility that this can be done?? Thanks again for all the help.
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Please scan his birth certificate in order to see if it is an integral copy of birth record or just a certificate.
There are more than one kind of birth certificate in Italy, so at least we can see if you can request another one with more details or maybe a bapt certificate from the church!
I hope it helps, bye Riccardo
area

Post by area »

Hello Ricardo....I finally managed to get my father's birth certificate from him...SO...what exactly am I looking for?? Where do I start?? It was pretty sad when I told my dad what I was trying to do...he even said that he wishes that his birth mother might still be alive??
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Hello,
do you have his birth or bapt certificate?
if yes scan it to me so I can read it.
If not you should send a request written in italian to Ufficio Stato Civile di Roma or to Ospedale Santo Spirito.
Please write a pm or to my email
bye Riccardo