Cassiadoro from Belmonte Calabro, Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
MaryP

Cassiadoro from Belmonte Calabro, Italy

Post by MaryP »

My grandfather is Roberto Cassiadoro. A name given to him because he was an orphan. He was raised by the De Luca Family in Belmonte Calabro. His birthdate is October 1894. Should I try to find the biological parents of Roberto? Would there be any records that would show a birth mother or father? Would there be any records of how much the De Luca family was paid to take him into their family? Any suggestions would be helpful.
Mary
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Cassiadoro from Belmonte Calabro, Italy

Post by ricbru »

Hello,
I had the chance to deal with Belmonte Calabro vital record office.
There is a very nice person, Mr. Marano, the registrar of that vital record office.
I suggest you to send a request written in italian via fax

Comune
Ufficio di Stato civile
c.a. Sig. Marano
Via Michele Bianchi 7
87033 Belmonte Calabro (CS)
Italy

fax number 01139 0982 400608

Mr. Marano is very gentle and he will be glad to help you.
I hope it helps, bye Riccardo
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

sure the De Luca family had the little payment for the child expenses... very little payment, but normally this people raising the orphans or foundlings( if your ancestor was orphan he must to have the father surname..) they was very poor people....I believe that is very difficult to find the biological parents, but you can descover something by LDS microfilm, searching the birthact of your ancestor.... this is the microfilm abt the births from 1866 until 1895:

Nati 1866-1895 FHL INTL Film 1961218 Items 2 - 3
only by original document in this microfilm you can descover some very little trace, otherwise it is impossible.. regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
MaryP

Post by MaryP »

Thank you for your replies. I did request the LDS microfilm but it hasn't come in yet. I have some cousins that live close to Belmonte, so I will ask them to go and search for some records. They will have better luck since they speak Italian and they are from that area. Thanks again.
Mary
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

mary your cousin can to obtain the COPIA ORIGINALE DELL'ATTO DI NASCITA (the copy from original birthregistry,... the same in mormon microfiche) by Belmonte Calabro civil record office, or in Archivio di Stato of Catanzaro.. as you can understand the same document it is available by 3 different sources(Belmonte Calabro Town Hall, Archive of Catanzaro, LDS microfilm), and where you want you can ask it..! Regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
MaryP

Post by MaryP »

Thank you SusanJ. Maybe I'll wait for the LDS and look myself. I'm new at genealogy but I'm having fun researching and then asking my mother about things that I find. In my original post I said that my grandfather was an orphan but I should of said that he was illegitimate. This is the story that the family knows. My grandfather, Roberto's mother was young and working for a Don (Mafia type) as housekeeper. She became pregnant by this man, she was unmarried and he probably was married. She had the baby and gave it up. My mother said that the De Luca Family never adopted Roberto. They just raised him but he kept this name that the government gave him. So Cassiadoro is not the father's name. It's the name that the government gave him. Does Italy keep any records about him?
Thanks for helping.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

I believe that you can to obtain the draft registration card(militar service) here in Italy by Catanzaro's Archive, but in this document no helpful infos abt the birth.... all that you can know is in the original birthact by Mormons...regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH