Abruzzo from Santa Margherita di Belice

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Soniajune

Abruzzo from Santa Margherita di Belice

Post by Soniajune »

I seem to be unable to find the passenger manifest for the following person:

CHARLES ABRUZZO
born 16 August 1884 in Santa Margherita, Sicily.
According to the 1910 census he immigrated in 1904 (I couldn't find him on the 1920 census) and on the 1930 census he gave his year of immigration as 1906.

1910 Census, 20 April, Borough of Brooklyn, Kings Co., NY, 27th Ward, ED 887, Sheet 10B
53 Central Ave. (7 families at this address)
Family #225
Abruzzo, Leonard, Head, 23, Married under a year, IT-IT-IT,Immigrated 1906, Barber- Barber Shop, Wages
Catherine, Wife 21, no children, IT-IT-IT, Immigrated 1893, Dressmaker-Private
Couscimanno, Frances, Mother-in-law, 56, Widow, Mother of five children, all living, IT-IT-IT, To America 1893
My Note: Leonard Abruzzo is a younger brother to Charles.
Family #227
ABRUZZO, CHARLES, Head, 26, Single, IT-IT-IT, Immigrated 1904, Tailor-Factory for Wages
Kate, Sister, 24, Single, IT-IT-IT, Immigrated 1904, Seamstress, Tailor Shop

~~~~~
September 12, 1918 - WWI Draft Registration Card
Name: Charles Abruzzo
Home Address: 191 Troutman Street, Brooklyn, Kings Co., N.Y.
Date of Birth: August 16, 1884
Alien: Non-declarent
If not a citizen of the U.S., of what nation are you a citizen or subject? Italy
Present Occupation: Tailor
Employer's Name: De Giovanni
Employer's address: 827 Hart St., Brooklin, Kings Co., N.Y.
Nearest Relative: Anna Abruzzo (he married Anna PUGLISI c. 1911)
Address: 191 Troutman St., Brooklyn, N.Y.
Description: Medium Height; Medium Build; Brown Eyes; Brown Hair
~~~~~
I'm doing this research for a friend and would very much like to include a copy of the ship's manifest.

Any help would be appreciated.
Esperanza
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Abruzzo from Santa Margherita di Belice

Post by Esperanza »

Hi!

Not sure what his given name was before he arrived to the USA...

If it is Calogero.. there are 2 records so far...

1904 Manifest....

First Name: Calugero
Last Name: Abursso
Ethnicity: Italy, South
Last Place of Residence: S. Margherita B.
Date of Arrival: Oct 14, 1904
Age at Arrival: 15y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Citta di Napoli
Port of Departure: Napoli
Manifest Line Number: 0002

First Name: Catenna
Last Name: Abrusso
Ethnicity: Italy, South
Last Place of Residence: S. Margherita B.
Date of Arrival: Oct 14, 1904
Age at Arrival: 19y Gender: F Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Citta di Napoli
Port of Departure: Napoli
Manifest Line Number: 0003

1904 Manifest with sister Caterina

Joining brothers Leonardo and Giuseppe...

Both Calogero and Caterina were detained... (which means another record to look for!)If Calogero is the correct given name... than it certainly would be worth looking for another manifest... can you suggest further??

Here is a helpful site...

Italian Given Names and their English Equivalents
Esperanza
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Esperanza »

Here's another Calogero record... address on manifest, brother on manifest may just match your information...

Liked the way you set up your information, nice of you to do this for your friend.
Soniajune wrote:I seem to be unable to find the passenger manifest for the following person:

CHARLES ABRUZZO
According to the 1910 census he immigrated in 1904 (I couldn't find him on the 1920 census) and on the 1930 census he gave his year of immigration as 1906.

1910 Census, 20 April, Borough of Brooklyn, Kings Co., NY, 27th Ward, ED 887, Sheet 10B
Family #225
Abruzzo, Leonard, Head, 23, Married under a year, IT-IT-IT,Immigrated 1906, Barber- Barber Shop, Wages

I'm doing this research for a friend and would very much like to include a copy of the ship's manifest.

This one sounds like him too... but just not the same birthyear... this record shows that he was in the USA from 1904 to 1910

First Name: Calogero (Born 1889).... Dressmaker...
Last Name: Abruszo
Ethnicity: Italy
Last Place of Residence: U.S.A.
Date of Arrival: Jun 01, 1911
Age at Arrival: 22 Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Konig Albert
Port of Departure: Palermo
Manifest Line Number: 0023

Joining his brother Leonardo at 53 Central Ave., Brooklyn NY...

Leaves behind father Salvatore in Italy?

Page 1

Page 2
Esperanza
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Esperanza »

1904 Manifest.... shows that they were detained... since there is an " x" next to their names... but I cannot locate the Detained list with their information on it...
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Soniajune wrote:I seem to be unable to find the passenger manifest for the following person:

CHARLES ABRUZZO

Family #225
Couscimanno, Frances, Mother-in-law, 56, Widow, Mother of five children, all living, IT-IT-IT, To America 1893
Family #227
ABRUZZO, CHARLES, Head, 26, Single, IT-IT-IT, Immigrated 1904, Tailor-Factory for Wages

~~~~~
If not a citizen of the U.S., of what nation are you a citizen or subject? Italy
~~~~~

Hi here:

a Leonardo Abruzzo travel ...crossed up ship's manifest

and:

Giuseppe and Gaspare Abruzzo joining Leonardo Abruzzo in Brooklyn
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

"couldn't find him on the 1920 census"

Hi all!
Does this census look correct?
vj

possible 1920 census
page 2
Name: Charles Burtz
Home in 1920: Brooklyn Assembly District 19, Kings, New York
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's name: Annie
Father's Birth Place: Italy Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Home owned: Own
Year of Immigration: 1903
Able to read: Yes Able to Write: Yes

Household Members:
head Charles Burtz 35
wife Annie Alruzzo 34
son Joe Alruzzo 8
daughter Josephina Alruzzo 6
son Tony Alruzzo 4 6/12
daughter Maggie Alruzzo 3 4/12
son Frank Alruzzo 5/12
sister Jennie Alruzzo 32
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

previous 1904 manifest find - detained page
14 Oct 1904
SS Citta de Napoli
line 103
Calogero Abrusso (Abruzzo) & sister
"to meet" Bro Jos.
175 Warren, Brooklyn

(note: Charles signed his name 'Calogero' on his
WW1 Draft Registration Card)
Soniajune

Post by Soniajune »

As I'm new to Italian Geneology and this Forum, I didn't realize until just yesterday when I found them, that there were responses to my query about the Abruzzo family. Thank you so much, YOU FOUND THE RECORDS I WAS LOOKING FOR!

MANIFEST
As Esperanza suggested, I did find that brother and sister Calagero Abruzzo and Caterina arrived 14 October 1904 on the "Citta di Napoli". She was 19, but Calagero's age was erroneously given as 15 instead of 20 (He was born 16 August 1884. His occupation was correctly listed as Tailor and his sister's as Dress Woman (the same as on the 1910 census where their ages, occupations and year of arrival are correct).
I also found the sheet, "Record of Detained Alien Passengers - Citta di Napoli"
#103 Abrusso Calogroo & Sis, Manifest Group N, Numbers 2/3
Cause of Detention: To meet brother
Destination: Brother Joseph, 175 Warren St. Brooklyn
(on the original Manifest it looks more like Bardrum St.)
Discharged by Inspector - 10/14 @ 2:15
Meals Dinner - 2

1920 Census
Thanks VJ for finding the family on the 1920 Census, even though the census-taker mistakenly gave his name as Charles BURTZ with year of immigration as 1903 and his wife and children's surnames as ALRUZZO. This census was especially helpful because it named ANOTHER sister, Jennie Alruzzo/Abruzzo, single, age 32 (b.c. 1888),presser, tailor shop, born Italy, immigrated 1903. I couldn't find her in 1910 or 1930 though.

Incidentally, the friend I'm helping is currently very ill, and was also named Jennie Abruzzo, born in 1925, possibly named for her aunt.)

Again, many thanks for your generous help and expertise, it's greatly appreciated.

Sonia
Hacienda Heights, CA
MrsAbel

Post by MrsAbel »

Hello,

I am helping my husband research his Italian roots and saw this message. There are some names that you all mentioned that are connected to my husband's family. Perhaps a link?

My husband's great grandfather, Gaspare Abruzzo, born October 10, 1895 came to the USA from Santa Margherita di Belice. According to an obituary in a US newspaper from when he died, he had 3 brothers: Joseph, Charles and Samuel.

Gaspare lived in Queens and worked at the Brooklyn Navy Yard. He had 4 daughters, one of whom is my husband's grandmother, and 1 son. He passed away in Patchogue, NY on Long Island.

If any of this information links up with what any of you have, would you be able to pass it on to us? And any other suggestions that you may have for finding information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Samantha
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi Sonia & Samantha,

I just want to make sure you both know that the LDS Church (Mormons) have filmed the civil records for Santa Margherita di Belice. They cover the years 1821 to 1929.>

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... +Santa+Mar++

If you need additional information on how to obtain these films and/or contact information for the town, please let us know.

Hope this helps.

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
MrsAbel

Post by MrsAbel »

Thanks for the heads-up jcsm400!! I had heard about the Mormons having lots of records for many different countries. I think I will need to get in touch with them for sure.

Samantha
jcsm400 wrote:Hi Sonia & Samantha,

I just want to make sure you both know that the LDS Church (Mormons) have filmed the civil records for Santa Margherita di Belice. They cover the years 1821 to 1929.>

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... +Santa+Mar++

If you need additional information on how to obtain these films and/or contact information for the town, please let us know.

Hope this helps.

jcsm
linda113

Post by linda113 »

Hi,
I saw your posts on the Abruzzo surname and I am hoping for a possible link.
My grandfather was Calogero Abruzzo and he had 4 brothers-- the 5 are:
Leonardo --the oldest born circ 1881 married Jennie-had at least 7 children- Barney, Samuel (Salvatore), Annie, Rosie, Charles, Jaspar Giuse(Gaspare) and Gisueppe.
Giuseppe-- married Josephine- no children
Salvatore-- Married (unknown) son Benny(Gaetano)
Calogero-my grandfather-had1 girl Anna, and 5 sons- Ben, Thomas, Leonard, Domenico and Joseph
Gaspare--married Amelia-had at least 3 daughters Anna, Georgette and Gloria.
Hopefully there is a connection somewhere. I have done a lot of research with the Santa Margherita di Belice records and have copied many records so if anyone needs help I am willing to help if I can.
Thanks again.
Linda
hoven

Post by hoven »

santa margherita di belice, sicily

My name is Jerry and I am researching my mother’s family line. The Family came from Santa Margherita di belice Sicily. My grandfather was Harry Abruzzo a bar owner in Brooklyn New York. He was married to Eva Frye also from Brooklyn New York. His father was Gaspari Abruzzo arriving in US in 1901 with a Maria LaSala age 39 and his siblings Guiseppe, Laboria and Catagero. They arrived on the Duca di Genova sailing out of Napoli. According to the ships manifest they were meeting their father Fillipo Abruzzo who was already in the county.

Do you have any info on this family? Do you also know where I can get family information in Santa Margherita di belice Sicily? Such as census records marriages births and deaths.

Any information would be helpful

Jerry

e-mail is gfunk5@cox.net
menfitano

Post by menfitano »

Hi,

I see that there is a "Calogero Abruzzo" from Santa Margherita di Belice listed as arriving on Ellis Island on 1/4/1906 aboard the "S.S. Francesca". This info is found at EllisIsland.org. He is listed as going to his cousin's "'Andrea Abruzzo" at 565 Kent Ave. Brooklyn, ny.

BUT - on 5/1/1911, my great grandmother Vita Liotta arrived in Ellis Island together with her brother, Francesco Liotta, and his wife Marianna and son Vincenzo. Vita and Francesca's mother was an Abruzzo by maiden name and on the manifest they are traveling with two cousins: Calogero Abruzzo, Concetta Abruzzo. Calogero's father is listed as "Salvatore Abruzzo" in Sta. Margherita Calogero is listed as going to his brother's Leonardo's house on 53 Central Ave. in Brooklyn.

HOWEVER, there is also a "Rosario Abruzzo" listed on this manifest from Sta. Margherita and he is listed as going to his brother "Calogero Abruzzo's" house at 729 W. Ave (?) in Brooklyn. Rosario's nearest relative in Italy is listed as his brother, Francesco Abruzzo.

Hope this helps!!!!

CHARLES ABRUZZO

Family #225
Family #227

~~~~~
~~~~~

hoven

Post by hoven »

This is my uncle charlie and aunt anna you are talking about please contact me at gfunk5@cox.net. So we can share information
Jerry