Los Angeles Consulate

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Nello-LosAngeles
Rookie
Rookie

Los Angeles Consulate

Post by Nello-LosAngeles »

I need some help. Has anyone had any experience with the LA consulate? I have phone calls and email out to them asking for an appointment and have not heard back in 3 weeks. What do you suggest?

Nello
buzzinrizza

Re: Los Angeles Consulate

Post by buzzinrizza »

I don't have any help for you but I share your misery. I am in Arizona and have my documents together and they are being translated, but I can't get any response from the consulate either. Are you in LA? Have you tried a personal appearance? I would love to know what you find out. I know and love the Italian pace of getting things done but, come on!
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Nello-LosAngeles wrote:I need some help. Has anyone had any experience with the LA consulate? I have phone calls and email out to them asking for an appointment and have not heard back in 3 weeks. What do you suggest?

Nello
Patience and faith. They are terribly busy so give it a bit longer then perhaps make an appearance as suggested earlier. There really isn't more to do then wait. Maybe one of our other members can suggest something more hopeful.

In any case, keep us posted. We'll be praying for you! :D
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Nello-LosAngeles
Rookie
Rookie

My request for an appointment is know over 7 weeks without a response. I am an hour north of LA and will make a personal appearance soon.

I have had response from a commune in Italy in 12 days including mail both ways.

Nello
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

No wonder you're so upset! :( Yes, I think putting in a personal appearance is in order. I too emailed a Comune in Italy and had a written reply in under two weeks..makes you wonder... :?
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Gildone
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gildone »

The US consulates are collectively working on about 250,000 jure sanquinis requests. They are all swamped.

Some consulates don't answer the phone, some don't respond to e-mail, etc. I've been waiting since August 06 for correspondence from the Detroit consulate that I was promised in a telephone message. I've just decided to go there when the spring weather breaks, even though it's a three hour drive.
Nello-LosAngeles
Rookie
Rookie

Gildon
Where did you hear that there are 250,000 requests pending?

I heard that one can apply directly to a comune in Italy. Has anyone ever heard of this?

Bello
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

I've never heard of this, but I have heard that you can move to Italy with your documents in hand, and go thru the process while there.
This site has excellent advice from actual expats.....people who have already been thru the process and are living the good life!!

http://www.expatsinitaly.com/citizenshi ... italy.html

wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
Gildone
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gildone »

Nello-LosAngeles wrote:Gildon
Where did you hear that there are 250,000 requests pending?

I heard that one can apply directly to a comune in Italy. Has anyone ever heard of this?

Bello
It has been discussed on ItalyLink and, I think, Expats in Italy (about the 250k requests pending). I'm wondering now if that's worldwide, but I don't remember.

You can apply in Italy, but how fast things go vary from comune to comune. Wldspirit is correct that there is good information at ExpatsinItaly about this. A couple of people there have done it and have posted their experiences.

Also, there has always been a huge argument at other sites about whether or not you need a visa to stay in Italy if your request takes longer than 90-days to be processed.
Eton

Post by Eton »

I recently stopped by the Los Angeles Consulate to check things out. (Fortunately I'm 15 minutes away without traffic). I just started collecting my documents and am nowhere near finished, but I thought I might as well make an appointment now because they're backed up for a year.

No such luck. The one woman who works there told me that I needed to present all of my documents just to get the appointment to submit them, and of course they're still a year backlogged. I also bumped into three or four other people trying to do the same thing I was, so if you're submitting to L.A., I'd say scramble to collect your documents and get your appointment as soon as possible before the wait list becomes 2 years instead of one.
pastasugo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by pastasugo »

hn
Nello-LosAngeles
Rookie
Rookie

Pastasugo,
Please check your private message this site. Also can you give us information about the letter? How far in the futer is her appointment?
Thanks,
Nello
pastasugo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by pastasugo »

Sh
AnotherCitizenToBe
Rookie
Rookie

Post by AnotherCitizenToBe »

pastasugo wrote:She sent the letter in the Fall of 2004 and went to her appointment in April 2005.
Fall of 2004 was 2-1/2 years ago; April, 2005 a full two years back. Every indication I have seen is that things have changed dramatically in the last few years, with the number of applicants increasing exponentially and the backlog doing the same.
pastasugo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by pastasugo »

rn