Origin of surname Maio

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ptimber
Master
Master

Origin of surname Maio

Post by ptimber »

tHE iTALIAN SURFNAME DICTIONARY HAS NO RECORD FOR MAIO. pERHAPS IT IS LOCAL IN ORIGIN OR DERIVERD FROM FOREIGN PLACES.Peter
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

The surname di Maio appears throughout the Registri dello Stato Civile, 1809-1910, of the Comune of Campobasso [then in the Distretto of Campobasso and Province of Molise; today in the Province of Campobasso and Region of Molise]. It was spelled di Majo in the early 19th century records and later changed to di Maio. Perhaps there is a connection?
John Armellino
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

If you go to www.ece.ubc.ca/~simond/di maio_ma,e.html you will find a history of the origin of the surname. If you cannot get thru then please forward your e-mail address to me either in private message or here in the forum and I will send you a historical dictionary page outling the evolution of the surname. The surname,however, although numerous thruout all of Italy is still not considered an Italian surname andmost likely has its roots in Spain. Peter
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi: of this surname are various origins.

In Italy are trace in Siena town(Tuscany region) with to sure Francesco di Maio (in year 1327) relative of nobleman family Bandinelli-Cerretani. http://bandinel.freeservers.com/catalog.html

Subsequently this surname it is met in South Italy, Campania region, areas: Benevento, Salerno and Avellino (Solofra town)in version DE MAIO or also DI MAIO around XIV° century. These families were traders in skins and traders of aromas, also ceramics craftsmen. Subsequently it is diffused in all the South Italy.

In this version De Maio or Di Maio the meant is "son of Maio or Maione".

Maio or Maione is latin name, similar to Caio, Gaio etc...

But only Maio surname meets sure in Fuscaldo town http://www.csdim.unical.it/OSPITI/COMUN ... TM(Cosenza province-Calabria region) and draws origin from plants or rituals with plants, in fact Maio means "bloomed Branch or plant that in the Italian popular tradition the children carried around during the festivities of may month =maggio in italian(than in dialect he is pronounced maio )and that sweethearts planted to door or window of loved woman"....

Frankly and personally I incline for origin from the patronimico (surname inherited from father first name) Maio or Maione

:roll: suanj