FREE GENEALOGY SOFTWARE. . POLL

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: FREE GENEALOGY SOFTWARE. . POLL

Post by wldspirit »

I've re-organized my "system" twice...before realizing that it just wasn't working.......I could never find anything, and the paper trail had gotten way out of hand.
Nuccia and I have had major discussions on what is best....I followed her lead and went with the three ring binders for each line, using colored tabs to further break down the categories of vital records, family group sheets and other documentation. I also bought an index box, large 4x6 index cards, and fill out basic info on each family member.....makes cross referencing much easier. It still isn't fool proof.....like Nuccia....I need to do some fine tuning...... :?
I would be interested to know what other members have found useful....
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
Gina501
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Gina501 »

Thanks so much Nuccia and wldspirit. You are both always so kind and so helpful. I feel like I am always asking questions and you are both always ready to help. Yes, it is true.....I jumped in without knowing what I was getting into. So now I am stuck. But your tips make so much sense. I will start there and see what happens. I will also get the book you recommended.

Thanks again, ladies and I hope you both have a great Easter!
Gina
Searching for surnames Ignazio, Graziano, Trella, Del Principe, Biani, Subrizi, Della Valle

http://ignaziogenealogy.com
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Gina,

Your always welcome. We're all here to try and help whenever we can so don't worry about asking questions. I still have many myself.

I have to tell you though, your post "inspired" me last night. I love Family Group Sheets but there was always something missing that I needed on them..so I made my own. Of course, the genealogy software programs do print them out as well but I always need a working copy.

If you like, I can post mine or email it to you so you can see it.

Hope your Easter is also wonderful. And remember, Chocolate has solved many a problem! :lol: :lol:
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Wow - what a topic.

I have also reorganized my files several times. I first began with a portable box with a hanging file folder for each direct ancestor. Then, I realized the value and importance of researching the family group. Thus I needed space for all the siblings.

Now my "portable box" had multiplied into 2 and was getting too heavy to be portable! I moved on to 3 ring binders. All records on females say with their parents and sibilings until they marry. I then continue their records with their husband.

Now, I have gone paperless. I scan every document or download and save into a folder system on my computer that is arranged similar to my binders. I do maintain my binders with certificates and other papers. When I travel to do research, I only need my laptop. No chance of losing that binder with the original records. I can easily follow up on anything I find as all my records are with me. Depending on my research, I will print and take copies of needed records for easy reference. Sometimes, I prefer things spread out on paper while I am researching.

There are some good books and articles on organizing all these papers. In the end you have to find a system that works for you.

Debbie
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Hi Debbie!

I also scan everything now but I also back it up onto CD's and email it to myself as well. I'm always afraid of my computer crashing and losing everything.

What back up sytem do you use?
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Gina501
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Gina501 »

Nuccia I would love it if you would send me your family group sheet. My email is Gina501@aol.com. And I will do like Debbie, also, and scan everything in case of a disaster.

Thanks again!
Gina
Searching for surnames Ignazio, Graziano, Trella, Del Principe, Biani, Subrizi, Della Valle

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Ok.......while my bread is baking......I get to take a break!! :lol:

Gina.....I don't think anyone ever asked as many questions as I did.....
and still do.....so don't worry about it, we learn from each other!!!

VaDeb is right......you do have to find a system which works for you...
PAPERLESS........now that I can handle!!! I did burn some Cd's with the bigger images, census, ship manifest and such.......but never thought about creating files for the families.......I really like that idea........ :D

In the beginning I just kept collecting documents and information, still trying to organize some 100 papers........now I know what to do with it all.......thanks Deb!!!
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Hi Nuccia

I have an external hard drive that I back up my laptop to and do this at least once a week. If my laptop crashes and dies I have a back up on the external hard drive.

I burn my "genealogy books" onto CD and store them at my mom's house which is in another state. I update this annually. If I get alot of new information on a family I will burn a CD and send that. In case of a disaster I have a copy of my genealogy stored.

I also back up quarterly and keep those CD's in a safety deposit.

When do you leave for Italy?

Debbie
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Thanks for the tips Debbie! Sounds like a great idea (s). I could send them to my Mom's and my sisters houses...there goes the rest of the weekend I guess :lol: :lol:

If everything goes accordingly (pending on paperwork at this point as I'm having some problems with the kids passports) I will leave on/abt July 30. Keep your fingers crossed for me because if I miss that deadline I won't be able to go this year due to work obligations. We have to get our vacations pre approved and I booked in for this time slot. All the other available dates are taken and now with the added responsibilities at work and all the training I have to do for all the new hires it certain they won't let me switch.

Gina, did you get my email??
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Gina501
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Gina501 »

I did, Nuccia. Thanks. You should have received two emails from me back to you.

Wow! You are going to Italy. That's great! Are you going to visit family, or just for research? We are planning to go next Spring. I have to meet my new found cousin Giovanni. Did I tell you that story? Listen to this...

I got my great great grandmother's death certificate. She is the only 2nd great that came to America so I thought I'd start with her. I had her parent's names and town. So I wrote to the town for her birth record and they couldn't find her. I tried to pay two professional researchers (one was from this site) to find her birth record. Neither could. I was disappointed. I took a chance and wrote to all the Del Pricipe's in the town hoping I was related to some that could give me some names. One family wrote back. Each of the 3 brothers got the same letter from me. Within one day they had her birth record, her husband's name, family and birth record, their marriage record and their children's names. Now they have an appointment with the town hall next week because the church records go back to 1600 and they think all our family information will be there. Can you believe how lucky I got? And for free? I mailed off a huge box of America and Texas goodies today to say thank you. Now they want us to visit. I am so excited!
Gina

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Hi Gina,

Yes, I got your emails. I replied as well.

Yes, you definitely were lucky. I'm having the same trouble with my grandmothers birth info. No one can find it anywhere. I just sent off another letter not too long ago and hopefully I'll get an answer. Otherwise, I'm stuck.

I have lots of family in Italy and have been there a few times. I'm going this time because I promised my oldest that he would spend his 16th birthday in Italy since he was a baby and this year he turns 16..(me and my big mouth, huh?). But the Calabrese say that a promise is like a debt..and truthfully, after this trip I most surely will be in debt!! :lol: :lol:

I'm also going to do some research although because I'll be there during the month of August I'm a bit concerned everything will be shut down due to the summer holidays. Oh well...if nothing else, I can work on my tan.

Heres a picture of the beach about 100 yards away from my Dad's house..

Locri Beach

Isn't it gorgeous??
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Gina501
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Gina501 »

WoW! How beautiful! The beach under your feet and the mountains in the background. <sigh>..... I really want to go too. Maybe next year. We can't afford it this year for certain. We're trying to save for it now. Besides, it gives me the chance to study Italian. No one in my family speaks it.
Gina

JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

nuccia wrote: Heres a picture of the beach about 100 yards away from my Dad's house..

Locri Beach

Isn't it gorgeous??
Wow.. it sure is beautiful! I think that is great you want to take your son to Italy. I have two boys and when they get older I definitely want to take them to visit their Italian Ancestrial hometowns of Agnone, Campobasso (Isernia) and Carini, Palermo (Sicilia).

:)