Where do I go to do Genealogy research for Lucca area?

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
Donna-Stefani

Where do I go to do Genealogy research for Lucca area?

Post by Donna-Stefani »

I'm going to Italy in September to do genealogy research but don't know where to go once I get there.
We're from Segromigno in Piano, Comune di Capannori, Lucca Italy.
My cousin went last summer & managed to find the church & cemetery there, but wasn't able to find anyone there.
She left a note, in Italian, & some euros, asking for info, but no one ever answered her, or her follow up letters either.
Do I go to the church?
The Archivio di Stato di Lucca? The Comune di Lucca?
Can I do my own searches thru records there?
Cathynap
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Where do I go to do Genealogy research for Lucca area?

Post by Cathynap »

You will have better luck at your local LDS family history center.
Here is a link to the records they have:
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... umns=*,0,0
I have been look through my comunes records for 8 months and am still finding 1st cousins of my grandfather - and my records end in 1910. Yours go all the way to 1935! Lucky you.
Good luck!
Cathy
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Donna,

If you want to view the civil records in the comune, you must write to the Sindaco (mayor) well in advance to request permission. There is no guarantee that your request will be honored and you might find that you have limited access to the records and/or can only view them at specific times. And although many Italians do speak English, if you do not speak Italian, communicating might be difficult.

Here's a link to an interactive letter which you can use.

http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... indaco.asp

And here's a link to the town's official website.

http://www.comune.capannori.lu.it/

Are you sure that there are no relatives there? Have you checked the Italian white pages (Pagine Bianche) for possibles?
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Donna-Stefani

Post by Donna-Stefani »

I have been told that the name Stefani is like Smith & Jones is the U.S., it's everywhere.
I'm sure there are family somewhere, but my ggrandfather came from Italy in 1887, & we have no clue. My ggrandfather died when my grandfather was only 2 years old, & my grandfather died when I was 5. We have no info on any relatives there.
We have found the best info here in church records, so that was my original intent, to contact the church once I'm there.
But, I speak no Italian. I am looking into a program called Rosetta Stone to learn, but I have never been good with languages.
I did purchase a hand held translator that actually will speak what you want it to say in that language, but as of this time, that's it.
My cousin went last year & found the church & cemetery with many of our relatives, but was never able to find anyone at the church.
Her husband took some photos of the graves, & I did find some family in them, so I'm anxious to finish up those pics.
How do I go about getting permission to acces the church records?
Being Segromigno in Piano, comune de Capannori, would the mayor be for Segromigno or Capannori?
I'm trying to make travel arrangements also, & I'm feeling overwhelmed. The travel agent I went to see today didn't seen to be any more capable of doing this then I am.
Thanks, Donna
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Donna,

I'm not the best person to answer your questions. Hopefully suanj and/or others with more experience and knowledge than myself can supply you detailed information.

I suspect that your cousin did not find anyone at the church since so many of the priests are responsible for mutliple parishes. It might be difficult to get access to Church records.

If you do get permission to consult the civil records, I do not know if you'll be allowed to make photocopies or take digital pictures of the pages. My guess is that photocopying the pages is not likely, and I have no idea if a digital camera will work or if it will be allowed.

You'll need to do as much research as possible here in the States determing dates of birth, marriage dates, etc for each individual so you don't waste time. You should also read Trafford E. Cole's Italian Genealogical Records to acquaint yourself with the types of records you'll be seeing, what they look like, how to interpret them, etc.
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"