Meaning of "Carcione" surname

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
The_Shadow

Meaning of "Carcione" surname

Post by The_Shadow »

I'm trying to find the meaning of the Carcione surname. I know my paternal grandfather was from Palermo Sicily. I've seen a few names that end in cione but can't even find anything related to that suffix.

Any help would be appreciated.
Biff83
Master
Master

Re: Meaning of "Carcione" surname

Post by Biff83 »

Hello Shadow and Welcome to the Forum!

I located this meaning on Ancestry.com

Carcione
Southern Italian: variant of Calcione, which is of uncertain derivation, probably from an augmentative form of a personal name, Calcio, or from Latin calceus ‘chalky’.

Edited to add comment that Mount Pelligrino, three miles north of Palermo, is made of limestone, a chalky substance.
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
The_Shadow

Post by The_Shadow »

Thanks I appreciate the help. One time I was told it meant prison but could never find the relationship.
SynThea
Rookie
Rookie

Post by SynThea »

Hello!

"Our Italian Surnames" by Joseph G. Fucilla, Chandlers, Inc., Evanston, IL, 1949 includes Carcerari, jailer and Carcerini, prison, so likely you are on the right track.

Believe this volume has been re-issued in recent years, with perhaps more information or new detail.

Even the "old" one is a fascinating read ... would be happy to look up others of interest.
SynThea
Massachusetts
USA
lfssonruno

Post by lfssonruno »

We are in awe of your generosity and thank you very much. I was once told that it might result in jail time, but I have never been able to make the connection between the two.