Citizenship application questions

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
drovedo
Veteran
Veteran

Citizenship application questions

Post by drovedo »

Besides the required docs (birth, death,etc, record of non existence, and apostilles) what else do you need?

Is there a formal application? I couldn't find any on consulate site. I did see something about submitting tax records but I don't know if this refers to juris sanguinis apps or not.

Any help would me appreciated!
mler
Master
Master

Re: Citizenship application questions

Post by mler »

No tax records required. You are given the application at the consulate, where you will complete it. Bring with you a passport (if you have one) and drivers license to prove you reside within the consular jurisdiction.

It's also a good idea to make two copies of everything--one for you, and one for them.
drovedo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by drovedo »

Merci beaucoup!

Just remembered one other question. When I go for interview do I bring my father in too? Does he have to go through the application process as well so I can apply?
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

If he wants dual citizenship, he should go in with you to fill out the application. If he's only an "innocent bystander" :-) you can bring in a notarized Declaration of Living Ascendant, and that will do. The NY Consulate has one that can be downloaded from its website, and it's likely Boston does too.
AnotherCitizenToBe
Rookie
Rookie

Post by AnotherCitizenToBe »

drovedo wrote:...Is there a formal application? I couldn't find any on consulate site.
I replied to this in another forum, but will post here also just for the record:

Visit http://www.consnewyork.esteri.it/Consol ... tadinanza/ and click the form1, form2, form3 and form4 links several paragraphs down from the top of the page.

I presume that all of the consulates use the same forms.
drovedo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by drovedo »

I read the San Francisco version and it said:

Please note: signature must be notarized or declaration must be signed before a Consular Officer.

Does that mean my father would have put down his signature before a consular officer if the same holds true at the consulate I'm going to? Or is there a list of Italian Notaries to witness this, lawyers etc, so that he wouldn't have to go into to consulate?
AnotherCitizenToBe
Rookie
Rookie

Post by AnotherCitizenToBe »

drovedo wrote:I read the San Francisco version and it said:

Please note: signature must be notarized ...
Look in the phone book under "Notaries Public" and choose your favorite. Many banks and most all law offices also have someone who can notarize a document for their customers.

The basic principle is that you provide the notary with enough identification to enable him/her to be certain you (your father) are who you claim to be, you sign the document in the presence of the notary, and then he/she countersigns and affixes his/her seal.
drovedo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by drovedo »

Thank you. I just wanted to know if I needed a seal from a notary that does international docs, notarization that would be accepted by Italy.

Again thank you.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Any ordinary notary will do.
drovedo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by drovedo »

okay. thanks I didn't know. Thank you very much to the both of you. I appreciate all your help!