APLLYING FOR ITALIAN CITIZENSHIP IN ITALY. (Questions)

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
John1987

APLLYING FOR ITALIAN CITIZENSHIP IN ITALY. (Questions)

Post by John1987 »

Since most consulates take forever to call you for an appointment I have decided to personally go to Italy to apply for Italian Citizenship. Did anyone ever try this method? Did you find it difficult?
thanks
mler
Master
Master

Re: APLLYING FOR ITALIAN CITIZENSHIP IN ITALY. (Questions)

Post by mler »

I have not tried it so this is totally anecdotal. I would guess that your experience will much depend on the commune in which you apply (you will have to apply in the commune of your residence).

The upside is that there are far fewer applicants in Italy, so you will get more personalized attention.

The downside is 1) that you will have to legally reside in Italy (perhaps without a job, and 2) the commune is likely less familiar with jure sanguinis laws and, from what I've heard, some make up a few rules as they go along.

I know it has been done. Whether it will save you time or not is open to debate.
pastasugo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by pastasugo »

Due to changes in Italian laws regarding permessi di soggiorno, new jus sanguinis applications in Italy are at a standstill right now. Wait a few months/years- maybe a new circolare from the Ministro dell Interno will correct the current impasse.
John1987

Post by John1987 »

pastasugo wrote:Due to changes in Italian laws regarding permessi di soggiorno, new jus sanguinis applications in Italy are at a standstill right now. Wait a few months/years- maybe a new circolare from the Ministro dell Interno will correct the current impasse.

When did this change of law happen? Do you have the source to back up your statement. From what I know, and this is the most recent information I have is that if you qualify for jus saguinis ;YOU ARE ENTITLED to stay in the country and obtain permesso di soggiorno, the process to obtain this temporary stay may vary from city to city,but again you can stay in Italy for up to 90 days as a tourist.
John1987

Post by John1987 »

mler wrote:I have not tried it so this is totally anecdotal. I would guess that your experience will much depend on the commune in which you apply (you will have to apply in the commune of your residence).

The upside is that there are far fewer applicants in Italy, so you will get more personalized attention.

The downside is 1) that you will have to legally reside in Italy (perhaps without a job, and 2) the commune is likely less familiar with jure sanguinis laws and, from what I've heard, some make up a few rules as they go along.

I know it has been done. Whether it will save you time or not is open to debate.

Well we'll see what happens. I'm going to obtain all the documents needed first for the Citizenship. I don't think the job market would be a problem.Most italians can't speak English fluently, and there is always a demand for fluent English speakers.I could find a job at local embassies, universities,and summer camps. There are also lots of internship jobs that leads to a real job. A better advantage is if you speak English and Italian. I'm working on it.

I heard most citizenship application takes on average from 6 months to a year, when you are residing in Italy.
pastasugo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by pastasugo »

You can read about the current dilemma here:
http://www.aduc.it/dyn/immigrazione/arti.php?id=180468
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

pastasugo,
My Italian is apparently not as good as I thought it was, but I do get the sense from the article that permessos for the purpose of obtaining citizenship will be more difficult to obtain. Italy is totally inundated with jure sanguinis applications.

John, I wish you well in your quest, but I must point out that jobs are always a problem in Italy, particularly for non EU citizens. Everyone and his brother who is a native-born English speaker wants to teach English in Italy. Many do so "in nero" because they are unable to find legal employment.

If you are able to obtain a job from a school or organization that will sponsor you, you will then be eligible for a permesso that allows you to work in Italy. This is really the only way to do it legally, and since you will be applying for citizenship, you will want to do it legally.

A 90-day tourist visa will not help because even in Italy, the process is likely to take more than 90 days. Also, entering Italy as a tourist does not give you the residency status you will need to apply. At least that is my understanding.

I do hope things work out for you. Best of luck.
pastasugo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by pastasugo »

For purposes of applying for jus sanguinis, Circolare 28 (2002) allowed tourist pds to be used for iscrizione at the anagrafe. Once you had residenza you could apply for one year pds per attesa cittadinanza from the questura.

The current problem: since December 2006 permesso di soggiorno applications are submitted at post offices then centrally processed. Of 560,000 applications, only 13,000 have received permessi. Thus a 90 day tourist pds may take 6 months ormore to receive. This effectively prevents the tourist pds being used to apply for residenza and, in turn, pds per attesa cittadinanza.

To make matters worse, on 28 May the Camera di Deputati votes to abolish the now-useless pds for turismo altogether.

Barring a new circolare offering a new path, jus sanguinis application in Italy is currently at a standstill.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Thank you, pastasugo, for the summary. It's important information for many.
John1987

Post by John1987 »

Thanks for everyone's input and participation. It's good to know about this new burocratic change to Italian law. I'm working with a company that specializes in helping obtaining Italian Citizenship. They said they would ask for a "Mo Um Affari NG" (temporary), which would let me stay in the country longer than expected to eventually acquire my citizenship. I was told that the average wait for citizenship in Venice is 4 months, some have gotten their citizenship in 23 days!
pastasugo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by pastasugo »

What is the name of the company?

How much are they charging for this service?

Do they require you to pay up front, or only after receiving citizenship?

The words "Mo Um Affari NG" have no meaning (other than affari which means business).

I would be very cautious of anyone promising 4 month Italian citizenship, let alone 23 days.
Paul_NL
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Paul_NL »

John I am also interested in this info.

Please send me an email at granadaiscool @ hotmail . com
pastasugo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by pastasugo »

Better yet, post it on the board so everyone can benefit.
Xaymara
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Xaymara »

pastasugo wrote:What is the name of the company?

How much are they charging for this service?

Do they require you to pay up front, or only after receiving citizenship?

The words "Mo Um Affari NG" have no meaning (other than affari which means business).

I would be very cautious of anyone promising 4 month Italian citizenship, let alone 23 days.

I was also curious about the "Mo Um Affari NG" and since John hasn't responded, I went and did a search on the web and only found a reference to the above on a Yahoo group geared to Brazilians in search of citizenship by descent. The url is http://br.groups.yahoo.com/group/cidada ... 2/messages and it's mentioned in the last three messages dated April 28 and of course they are in Portuguese.

The company that's offering the "Mo Um Affari NG" is based in Venice. The website is http://www.signbill.com/ ( also http://www.maiara.us/ and http://www.customerlaw.com/ ) .

Contact name is Roberto Cescon at immigrationitaly@aol.com or rcescon@yahoo.com. There's no explanation on their website of what the phrase in question stands for.

Maria
pastasugo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by pastasugo »

Does having these different urls lead to that one site send up a red flag to anyone?