Name Derivation:Name History vs Genealogical Family Research

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
diPrenda

Name Derivation:Name History vs Genealogical Family Research

Post by diPrenda »

Is it easier to determine a derivation of name like where it originated and approximately in which century etc. I am interested in learning where my Italian name came from. Not necessarily the village, although that would be nice, but how it came about and when and what was the ethnicity of my ancestors, i.e., Sicilian, etc.
Essgee
Master
Master

Re: Name Derivation:Name History vs Genealogical Family Rese

Post by Essgee »

The name might orignate in one of these comunes:

Di Prenda-- Aquilonia------------ Avellino (AV) Campania 83041
Di Prenda-- Morra De Sanctis--- Avellino (AV) Campania 83040

If you seek just the origin of the name, you might find the name located in one area but your ancestor was born in another. Surely, 200 years ago one could identify the town of origin by the last name, over time, this is no longer true.

If you seek your own ancestral lines, start with the first individual that you have facts about and then work backwards from facts to facts (like birth of son to birth of father and then birth of grandfather, etc). If your ancestor came to America--Canada, the US, or South America--it could be that the passenger records might be found that will identify town of origin. In Italy, you must know the town of origin to get at the records as they are held in the place where the event occurred.

If there are specific names we can help with, don't hesitate to ask.