Anna Turano and Antonio Intrieri

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Staci4
Rookie
Rookie

Anna Turano and Antonio Intrieri

Post by Staci4 »

Antonio Intrieri - Born: in Cosenza, Calabria, Italy d: in Cosenza, Calabria, Italy
MARRIED Anna Turano - 1841 - 1943 Born: December 06, 1841 in Cosenza, Calabria, Italy d: December 15, 1943 in Sharpsburg, Pittsburg, Pennsylvania

I would love to get some more family for these 2 people. They are my ggg grandparents. Their daughter Theresa married Vincenzo Aluise and had my grnadmother :)
Cathynap
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Anna Turano and Antonio Intrieri

Post by Cathynap »

Stacy,
The Latter Day saints have the largest genealogical collection of records in the world. It is wonderful that you have the places and dates. If you are serious about researching your family history I would recommend locating a family history center here: http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... et_fhc.asp

They have many microfilms with all kinds of records for Cosenza. You can see what they have available here: http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... ato+civile++
You should be able to trace your family tree back a little further with the help of these documents.
Staci4
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Staci4 »

Nati, processetti, notificazioni, matrimoni, morti

Birth, Baptism, ???, Marriage, Death.

I do not know what to do with this information. Do I request to see these microfilms? Help please :(

There is a Family History Center in my town :) YEAH. So I can go there and see the microfilms?? Or rather look them up and see them in the computer?
Cathynap
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Cathynap »

Sorry about that.
Nati is birth acts - a record of the birth that will give you the time and location of the birth (often but not always there is an address of birth which will give you the address they lived at), the father's name, age and profession, the mother's name age and profession and often it will give you their parent's names. So in 1 record you receive 3 generations of information!
notificazioni is a marriage bann. This also gives a lot of information. These are my favorite documents! Because the all the men who could sign their name signed this document.
matrimoni A record that the marriage took place. If you have to choose between the pubblicazione and the atti di matrimoni choose the pubblicazione
morti death act record - a record that the death occurred (not a death certificate). Although this will not give you the cause of death it will give you the date, time, place, birthplace, mother's name, father's name and wife's name.
processetti This is a hodge podge of various records - could be church records, comune records, deeds that pertain to individual or the comune (town). You will need a book to help you. I used one by Lynne Nelson (I cannot remember the name.
I have attempted to post my grandfather's "Atti di nascita" (Act of birth) to give you an idea of what they look like but it's not working so click here:
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t300 ... father.jpg If you want to see more of these records PM me.
You go to the family history center and order the microfilms. It takes 2-4 weeks to get them at $5.50 per microfilm. I have extracted thousands of records from these and currently have 10 microfilms so if you need help (and you will) let me know. It's rather intimidating at first but it's not difficult.
If you need more help feel free to ask.
Staci4
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Staci4 »

Thank you very much. I really feel l ike I struck gold here. Everyone is so helpful with great ideas (and past history for back up) on how to get the info!!

I used to go to the libraries with my father and spend HOURS looking thru microfilms just HOPING to come across a "Sharp" name :) This is just too cool!!

I am pretty sure that Babelfish (Altavista) is going to become my 2nd favorite website :)
Cathynap
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Cathynap »

I was given help here and like to return the favor when I can. If you want you can PM me and I can send you my email so when you get those microfilms in I can help you. That book by Lynne Nelson is a must she gives translations of the records (these are forms so the form part is the same) and other translations like numbers, months, professions to help you translate what you need. I no longer need the book to look much up any more. When I find the name I'll post it here. One more thing - make sure that family history center has hours that work around your schedule and a printer attached to a microfilm reader. The hours posted on their website are not always correct. I made that mistake.
Good luck!
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

The name of the book you are referring to is Discovering Your Italian Ancestors, a favorite of many people here.

Another great site for helping you translate the records is..

http://www.comunesofitaly.org/links_research_and_tools

Hugs!
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Cathynap
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Cathynap »

Thanks Nuccia - you rock!!
Between the book and the website Nuccia gave you, you will be translating documents like a pro in no time!!