Civitaveccia

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Louis

Civitaveccia

Post by Louis »

I am looking for information on the father, mother and siblings of Louis Izzo (my grandfather) who came to the US through Ellis Island on the boat Conte Rosso in 1922. His family lived in or around Civitaveccia, Italy. His wife was Concetta Perotta Izzo and his children were: Mario (my father), Silvio, Alfonso, Filomena, and Francesca.

Thank you.
Louis M. Izzo
Williston, Vermont, USA
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

when you say they resided in Civitavecchia I presume this is in the province of Rome in the Lazio region since there is a suburb called civitavecchia in another region of Italy and I wanted to make sure. Since there are 8 persons surnamed Izzo and none listed for Perotta, I presume its in the Rome province thast is the town of your family's origin. To locate the record for what you want it is best to opbtain a Certificato di Stato di Famiglia (family certificate) for your Ggreatgrandfather whose name and year of birth may or may not be known to you. This certificate will list all members of your grandfathers immediate family listing all births, marriages and deaths. If this info is not readily available then obtain a copy of your grandfathers birth record which will show his fathers (your GGrandfather) name and possibly year of birth. if your grandfather is the eldest child then figure his fathers birth at 21 years since they all married when they got back from Army service. Please let me know what you know so that I cvan direct you accordingly. Peter
lizzo

Re: Civitaveccia

Post by lizzo »

Peter:
Thanks for your help. Where do I get a copy of the Family Certificate?

~Lou
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

lizzo,

If I can add some information about the family certificate here..you can request them from the Comune where your family lived at the time.

I just received my family certificate for my paternal great grandfather and these are the issues I faced.

1.. Provide as much info as you can prior to writing to the comune for the certificate. Include any names you have and birth, marriage and death dates..its a time consuming search and most comune will only do it if and when they have time.

2. The comune charge for this service anywhere from 2.20-5.00 euros per person found and sometimes add a genealogy tax of 10.00 euro or more.
There were nine children born to my great grandparents and the two of them. The total cost for my certificate was 50. eruos plus the tax making it 60 euros. It can be quite expensive..if they send it at all. Some comune also want you to cover their postage. If possible, you should get someone to contact the comune before hand and find out what they require in order to do the actual search (or if they will do it).

Once you get it though, its get fascinating..
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Well done Nuccia!

This is Civitavecchia civil record office where to write in order to get civil certificates or records

Comune
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Piazzale del Pincio, 1
CAP 00053
Civitavecchia (RM)
Italy

I hope it helps
bye Riccardo
lizzo

Post by lizzo »

Thanks, Riccardo, I'll try it and let you know how it goes.

I was hoping that communications with Comune could be initiated by internet, so I will search for their web site. Do you know if there is such a web site?

Thanks..

~Louis
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Official site of Civitavecchia
http://www.comunecivitavecchia.it/

A nice site on the comune with pics and history although a little difficult to navigate.
http://www.storiacv.etruria.net/

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Well done Nuccia!
Thanks Riccardo. I had a great teacher! :wink:

lizzo,

Be careful when using email address's. They have a tendency of bouncing back..some times days later and the messages often go to your spam box. I have used both methods and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Hope this helps.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Nuccia is right,
I prefer always to send a regular mail by envelope and stamp to the comunes, I don't trust sending email to them, because you never know if they get it, if it works, for sure I know they get the regular mail.
This is my suggestion to everyone
bye Riccardo