Help I have many different question- I am new at researching

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ginnymarie3

Help I have many different question- I am new at researching

Post by ginnymarie3 »

Hi,

I have a few different questions. Me and my sister are new at tracing our family tree. We are tracing the name Pirozzo ( Pirozzi) and the Vangone family of Boscoreale Italy.I have been using Ancestry.com, Ellis Island website and also the Italian NYC Death Index Results. The information I am getting in the census results are a little confusing.Maybe you can help me figure it out. My grandfather is Dominick Pirozzo ( Pirozzi) He was born
April 5, 1895 In Boscoreale Italy.
First Ellis Island shows my great grandparents- Liberato Pirozzo and Maria Vangone arriving in Ellis Island on June 26, 1894 with thier daughter
Carmela. Ellis Island shows me that my grandfather Dominick came to
the Us on June 22, 1898 at the age of 3 years old.
In the 1900 Nyc Census it shows my grandparents having 4 children. Fanny, Henry, William and Anna. Dominck does not show up on the 1900 census. In the 1910 census that i found only shows my great grandparents,
Liberato and Maria. But when i pull up the preview page in the 1910 census from ancestry.com- it shows 2 different children with different last names.
The names of the children are Beckie and Sellie Newman. When i pull up the orginal image from the census. My grandparents are the last two people's names at the bottom of the document and Beckie and Sellie are the first two names on the census.. and it shows thier parents coming from Austria.. From the time between the 1900 census and the 1910 census -
found out that Fanny died on June 25, 1900- I could not find anything out
about Henry or anna ( Carmela). William died on september 23, 1919.
I did not see any information about my grandfather in the 1910 census.
I finally found information on my grandfather in the 1920 nyc census.
it shows him being about 24 years old. I never saw any other data on his
brother Henry or sister Anna ( Carmela). In the 1920 census it shows
the other children that my great grandparents had after my grandfather-
anthony ( 20)- Charles (20)- Fanny (15) and Columbia (12).
I had noticed that on Ellis Island that my great grandmother traveled back to Italy a few times and it shows some of the children traveling with her.
IS there a website that will show the passenger names that traveled from Nyc to Naples. I am trying to get a time frame as to how long they stayed in Italy before they came back to the US. I remember my grandmother told me that my grandfather ( Dominck) had gone back to Italy to study Art. He did stone scuptures. In ellis island website it showed him coming back from Italy at the age of 15. I am not sure if he went back after that or not.
I had ordered my Great Grandparents Death records and I should recieve them in a few weeks. Do you know of any websites where I can research thier parents who were left in Italy. I dont speak or Read Italian unfortunately.

Thank you
Ginny
Essgee
Master
Master

Re: Help I have many different question- I am new at researc

Post by Essgee »

OK......

Paragraphs are easier to read.

The 1910 census is indexed incorrectly. The two girls you mentioned are incorrectly added. There was a second page following Liberato and Maria. Whoever listed, didn't forward to the next page...or thought they did.

Anyway, here is the second page:

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/7011 ... ge2ks5.jpg

As you can tell, the names correspond to the 1920 census. The 1900 census that you mention I cannot find. What is the name indexed? What is the Enumeration District and page number? I don't believe that this is the correct census data for 1900 for your family. But without seeing what you reference, I cannot be sure....well actually I am sure, but I want to see your data.

I cannot locate them in 1900. Perhaps our expert census researchers can find them. I have tried every variation of the first and last names I can think might apply, as well as the names of the children......no luck.

In the WWI registrations, it lists Charles Nicolas Pirozza as born Jan 15 1900...in NY...so the family must be there. Domenico is listed as born 5 April 1895 in Italy.

Let us know about the 1900 census and maybe we can help you out.

PS> There is no list of people indexed going from the US to Italy. It is possible that Domenico had a passport..that might help. But he is listed in 1910 as being in NY. Also, in NYC in 1918 for WWI registration so not possible to tell if he went to Italy and returned. There are two Domenico's listed at Ellis Island--one arriving 1913, one in 1914 I think. Both are not your relative as their father's are listed as Carmine and Nicola. Perhaps we can find the correct record here as well.
ginnymarie3

Post by ginnymarie3 »

Sorry that I made no paragraphs on my previous post.

The 1900 Census that I found was Manhattan NY, enumeration district # 424, sheet # 4, starting at line 68.

The name is listed Pirzzo Liberato. I thought maybe who wrote it missed spelled Pirozzo and switched the last name to the first name.

Thank you for the second page of the 1910 census.

Thank you Essgee for all your help

Ginny
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Well......you do appear to have found them. But the children are hard to interpret.

1. It appears that Fanny and next child listed could be twins.

2. William might be Domenico

3. Anna might be Carmela, though in 1910 lookes like Emily

Something is fouled up here...maybe just nicknames or they tried "Americanized Names"?

Since Mary's arrival of 1894, all children listed as born in America...so this is not a very valid list of names. Now, on the passenger record of her arrival with both children, there was a third child with them...but not her's. Could they be children of friends or relatives living with them? Possible. Remember, errors did occur.

Will see what else might be out there, but you are looking at finding birth records for these children born in the US.

But you did indeed find them in 1900 so kudo's to you...great piece of research!
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Found this as well:

Fannie E. Pirozzi and Antonio S. Pirozzi were born on 10 April, 1899. His certificate is # 15146 and hers is #15146.

In addition, there is a listing for the death of Liberate Pirozzo, age 57, on 10 Jan 1928, # 1187. Mary Pirozzo died age 65 on May 11, 1936, #1936

Now, I originally thought the name of Harry was Toney. But then I checked another source for the census and it sure looks like Harry. But how Antonio became Harry or vice versa, not sure......and William is still up for grabs!
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

I remember my grandmother told me that my grandfather
( Dominck) had gone back to Italy to study Art.
He did stone scuptures.
In ellis island website it showed him coming back from Italy
at the age of 15.
I am not sure if he went back after that or not.

For reference, links to records already found:
June 1894 Manifest
Liborato Pirozzi 27
Maria 22
Carmella 11 mos
Jun 1898 Manifest
Maria Vangone 26
Carmela Pirozzi 5
Domenico Pirozzi 3

1900 Manhattan Census
edit: added 1909
1909 Nov Manifest
pg 2
1910 Manhattan Census
page 2
Dom. 1917-8 WWI Card
1920 Manhattan Census
1930 Manhattan Census
Dom. 1942 NJ WWII Card
pg 2
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

vj......

The 1909 manifest is a great find!

Carlo, btw, is Charles...born 2 Jan 1901, which is different then his WWI registration by a year. This info from the NY birth records: Carlo Pirozzi, #2767.

Anyway, that manifest is a great help!
ginnymarie3

Post by ginnymarie3 »

I found a NYC Death Index results for William Pirozzo. He died on September 23, 1919 - certificate number 26452. He was 17 years old per death index.

I also found at NYC Death Index - Filomena Pirozzo- died on June 25, 1900
at 4 months old. certificate number 20566.

I think the Filomena in the 1920 census is another child they had and just decided to name it the same as the child that died. I found on a mass card that Filomena's married name was La Valle. But I could not find a death index for her.

My mother told me that her father had a brother named Lawrence, whom I did not see on any of the census. I did some more research today and I found a Florida Death Index for Lawrence Pirozzo and it said him birthday was April 7, 1899. I went back to the 1900 census and looked at Henry's
information and it said he was born abt 1899. I then went back to the 1920's census and looked at Anthony's and it said he was born abt 1900.
I think Henry - Anthony is Lawrence. Do you think this is possible due to
the different errors that occur.
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Antonio's name was Antonio S. It could actually have been Antonio L. as the letters are so close. Lots of things to consider with these names!

As far as the Filomena that died....there are more families in NY then just Liberato's with the same surname. Not sure who belongs to whom at this point. Need to verify through the birth records. But you could be right about the second Filomena being named for the first.

Let the material reveal the facts once you have the actual documents. Cemetery records are a good resource as well. And usually cost no more then a postage stamp or phone call.

You are doning well......keep up the great work!
ginnymarie3

Post by ginnymarie3 »

Thank you Essgee for all your help..