Census records for southern Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Census records for southern Italy

Post by BillieDeKid »

Are there census records for Southern Italy? My grandfather was from Brognaturo and came to the USA in 1910. His name is Domenico Mangiardi born abt 1888, 1889 or 1890 and his mothers name was Teresa. I don't know her last name. His father (possible name could be Nicola Mangiardi) either left, divorced his mother or was killed when my grandfather was young (we don't know which it was). She remarried and had at least 2 boys (my grandfathers half brothers) and they could have possibly had more children than that. My grandfather left their house when he was quite young. Didn't get along with his step father, so the story goes. Other towns he might be listed in are Spadola and Simbario.

So if there are census records of Italy available would that help me in finding out my great grandmothers name and possibly the second man she married?

I have ordered the films from LDS and they should be here in another week or two. But if there are census records from Italy available on line I'd like to look at them if I can to try and figure everything out.

Thanks
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Re: Census records for southern Italy

Post by BillieDeKid »

My grandfathers birthday was June 13, 1890. That's what is on his USA WWI draftcard of 1917 so I hope it's correct.
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

My apologies, my grandfather came in to Ellis Island in 1909.
sheronb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sheronb »

Hi Billie,

You need the Registro del Popolazione ,this was the census started in abt the 1860s, and added to, they are great for info, they give dates of birth/death, sometimes marriages, the name of the wife, her father, the head of the families father, so much!!Children, who they married, if grandchildren living there,etc....

Troible is, these are not online, i have at least 4 of these, but i paid an Italian researcher, who was great, and i think worth every penny!
This is the Frosinone area, so i don't know if any good to you.
Tuzi/Lombardozzi/Polsinelli/Tersigni/La Rocca/Gismondi from Sora,Frosinone.
sheronb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sheronb »

Hi Billie,

You need the Registro del Popolazione ,this was the census started in abt the 1860s, and added to, they are great for info, they give dates of birth/death, sometimes marriages, the name of the wife, her father, the head of the families father, so much!!Children, who they married, if grandchildren living there,etc....

Trouble is, these are not online, i have at least 4 of these, but i paid an Italian researcher, who was great, and i think worth every penny!
This is the Frosinone area, so i don't know if any good to you.

whoops,sorry i seem to have posted this twice!!
Tuzi/Lombardozzi/Polsinelli/Tersigni/La Rocca/Gismondi from Sora,Frosinone.
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Thanks for responding. No, Frosinone isn't going to help me. Guess I was hoping that the Italian Census records were available some where on line. Guess I'll just have to be patient until my films come from UTAH.

Thanks again and good luck to you in your family search.