Galiero family - Naples

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ju82

Galiero family - Naples

Post by ju82 »

Hi there,

I'm new to this site and would like help or advice tracing my Italian family.
My grandmother came to England in January 1946 with my grandfather who she had met during the war. Her name was -Anna Gulia Galiero (17/07/1917 in Naples) My mother would come to Italy during school holidays etc and knows that her grandparents were called Salvatore and Guiseppina. Her aunt was Raphelina and her uncle Michele (who had daughter Marisa)
I would love to find any living relatives and my ancestors.

Many thanks in anticipation,
Juliana
jenalonso
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Galiero family - Naples

Post by jenalonso »

Juliana,

Welcome to the site! I am also somewhat new & found the people on here extremely helpful. My ancestors are also from Naples, but they emigrated to the U.S. Are you in England?

Jen
Searching for Nostrame, Mangiacapre, Cherubino, DiPascuale, Franco, Porto, D'Addona, DiLibero.
ju82

Post by ju82 »

Hi Jen

Yes my grandmother came to England during the war, its proving very difficult to find any info :(

Ju
jenalonso
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jenalonso »

Hey Ju,

Would it help you if I tell you how we find records here? (maybe you have a similar system there?)

Or do you know that already? Let me know.

And I'm sure you will find them eventually - the English are great with keeping records! Probably you just need to know where to go.

Jen
Searching for Nostrame, Mangiacapre, Cherubino, DiPascuale, Franco, Porto, D'Addona, DiLibero.
ju82

Post by ju82 »

Hey Jen

That would be really helpful, thanks! I haven't a clue where to start :)

Ju x
jenalonso
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jenalonso »

Ju,

Well, they say start with what you know: basically work your way up the tree - start with your parents & grandparents' info (I see you have the names, now start writing down birthdates & birthplaces). Ask your family members, even if you think they don't know.

Start requesting the most recent vital records, i.e. birth, marriage & death certificates. I'm betting England is like the U.S. and that they keep these records with the county. If not, the county should know where the records are stored. If they do have them, you'll probably just need the person's birth year & place of birth/marriage/death to get the record. Once you have all your info from England sources, then I would move on to your Italian ancestors.

Important: to get records in Italy, you must know the town (Comune) where the person was born, married, or died. You have an advantage because your mother went there as a child. Ask her the name of the town. Most likely that's where your grandparents were from (or at least nearby - which is not enough, but I can explain that to you at another time). If your mom doesn't know, then your grandmother's death record or naturalization/citizenship (was she naturalized?) records should have her place of birth. I also got my great-grandfather's naturalization papers from the county where he lived (but copies are also held in the state & federal courts). Those had a lot of info on them - his exact birthdate, place of birth, etc.

Capisce? :)

I hope this helped a little. I am happy to answer any more questions you have & to help you search. This website has done me an invaluable service and I'd like to give back what I've learned.

Jen