Italian political dissent in early 20th century

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
peggymckee
Elite
Elite

Italian political dissent in early 20th century

Post by peggymckee »

Hi all!

Here is a question for historians. My mother told me that my father's parents came to the US from province of Lucca (comunes Stazzema & Sesto Fiorentino) in 1914 & 1915 to escape Mussolini.

However, I have read that Mussolini's government ruled from 1922 to 1943. Did he rule locally before he ruled nationally? Was his movement active in the teens? Did dissenters have to escape?

Many thanks, Peggy M
Surnames: Bertellotti - Ridolfi - Marchi
misbris
Master
Master

Re: Italian political dissent in early 20th century

Post by misbris »

World War I was waged in Europe from 1914 to 1918. Italy, although it had a treaty with Germany and Austro-Hungary, attempted to stay out of the war. In 1915, Italy joined on the side of France and England.

Many Italians who anticipated the coming problems in Europe left for America. However, once was broke out, I don't know how much immgration was allowed. My grandfather got out before the war, but he wasn't able to get my grandmother here until 1920.
peggymckee
Elite
Elite

Post by peggymckee »

How interesting. My grandparents were married in Italy in 1909 but were in France by 1910. My uncle was born in Marseilles in 1910. I do not know if they returned to Italy between then & the time they immigrated (1914 for GF & 1915 for GM.) I really have no idea why they came to the US.

It sounds like you're saying, though, that the rise of Mussolini might not have been a factor in their decision to leave--family myth to the contrary!

All the best, Peggy M
Surnames: Bertellotti - Ridolfi - Marchi
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

War was probably the reason for their decision to leave. There was only 20 years (1919-1939) between the WWI and WWII. Most of Europe was in turmoil for that period of time. The aftermath of WWI led to the rise of Hitler and Mussolini. Mussolini was a writer and minor official from about 1910 on, so your family probably put it all together.