Birth Registration

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mahart
Veteran
Veteran

Birth Registration

Post by mahart »

Hi everyone,
Could someone help with translating/deciphering the handwriting in this extract of a birth regisstration.

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/1986 ... ropnw0.jpg

Many thanks in advance

Mark
Searching for Palombella family in Molfetta, Puglia

Mark
Essgee
Master
Master

Re: Birth Registration

Post by Essgee »

....The same has presented us a female that we have visible witnessed and he has declared that the same was born of his legitimate wife, Nunzia di ??? daughter of ??? who is dead, age 36, and of him, the age as above, the occupation as above on the 31 day of August in the current year at the hour of 4:00 am in the house of his dwelling on (cannot read) street..

Mark.....the names are very difficult to read. I have found that if you paste this into a picture editing program, blow it up really large, and begin to use the erase tool around the letters, that when you go back to regular size, you can often make out the names. Ink bleeds over time and distorts the original lettering...whatever you can clean up in the background will help.

The father of Nunzia might be Michelangelo..or something that ends in Angelo... Her last name appears to begin with a G...if you can tell us what town this is from we might be able to narrow it down that way....

Hope this helps. Someone who can read it all will probably step in here...my ability is limited. Have a great day.
mahart
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mahart »

Hi Essgee,
Thanks for having ago. Most of it I can translate but it was some of the handwriting I thought that a natural italian speakermight get what I'm having difficulty It is from Molfetta. The legitimate wife is Nunziata de Gioia daughter of the deceased Maurangelo (the next bit I can't fully deciphen)sua Moglia ????? which I think is his wife's name but I can not make out. and as you say 36 years old, residence as above but this next section ]e da ?? di chiaranta is this referring to someone else?

Regards Mark

Mark
mahart
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mahart »

Hi,

I've attached another link of the same birth registration extract, which I think is a little clearer.

http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/8093 ... op2ej1.jpg

regards Mark

Mark
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Mark........

The informant is usually the father...sometimes a mid wife. And he is usually referred to in the third person.

ed ha di chiarato: would be, I believe, HIM, THE INFORMANT

and he has declared that the same was born of his legitimate wife, Nunzia di Gioia daughter of Maurangelo who is dead, age 36, and of him, INFORMANT, the age as above, etc......
of him, INFORMANT...of HIMSELF WHO IS THE INFORMANT...in other words, his own child.
IN essence, he declares the child was born to him and his legitimate wife, Nunziata di Gioia aged 36, and who is the daughter of the desceased Murangelo, and that his age was listed above and so was his occupation.

It just refers to the father in the third person...very formal it would appear. Hope this makes sense...again, I am not an expert, just have translated by dictionary a lot of birth records..........
peggymckee
Elite
Elite

Post by peggymckee »

mahart wrote:sua Moglia ?????
It means "his wife" and is spelled "mòglie"--but I've found often at the end of handwritten words there is an extra loop which often makes the final letter look more like "a" or "o".

Good luck, Peggy M
Surnames: Bertellotti - Ridolfi - Marchi
millybobs
Rookie
Rookie

Post by millybobs »

I think it reads 'sua moglie legittima' (his legitimate wife) and 'e da ... dichiaranta' (or similar) which refers back to the declarant (ie the husband) rather than to a third person. No doubt someone can confirm this interpretation?
Paul
millybobs
Rookie
Rookie

Post by millybobs »

OK, Essgee and Peggy type faster than I do!
Thanks.
Paul
mahart
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mahart »

Hi everyone,
I think it is legitmate wife now looking at has you have suggeted and the baby was presented by the father.
I was hoping it was giving me another name to add to the tree but at least it clears things up for me because I've been staring at this image on and off for weeks but for the life of me I could not make a Puglian female given name form from it.

Thanks guys much appreciated

Mark

Mark
gerald325i
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gerald325i »

Sorry all, but this looks like the standard "atta di nascita" except that is missing the top part and the left or right that would have had the name of the newborn. This excerpt that you have given only gives the name of the mother, missing the father's name that should be on top of that, and the baby's name on the sides.

It says: Che la stessa e nat(a) da: Nunziata DiGioia Murangelo sua moglia legitima di anni trentasei. (that the same (the baby) was given birth by Nunziata DiGioia Murangelo, his legitimate wife (because the name of the father should be on top!). But I find nothing saying "dead" or "deceased" which would be "morta/o."

Now if the father was DiGioia, this gives you the maiden name of the mother: Murangelo.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I really think you are showing just part of the "atta di nascita" and that there is no "dead" anywhere...or I'm blind!

Gerald
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Gerald,

It reads Nunziata Di Gioia fu Murangelo - fu meaning deceased.
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Maybe ... "fu Marcangelo"

Laura
Emmy
Master
Master

Post by Emmy »

This is maybe a bit clearer.
need to click on image to enlarge.

Emmy
mahart
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mahart »

Hi guys,
apologies I have not checked in last couple of days. Yes Gerald and no Gerald, I mean yes i only posted part of the birth rite because it is the only part that did not seem to make sense to me and no you are not going blind (well I don't think so based on yuor observations of the image) but as pointed out fu relates to deceased.

Emmy I can't make the image zoom but it does look clearer.
Anyway i have spent much time with this particular birth rite and that section roughly translate to'Nunziata de Gioia of deceased Maurangelo (common name throughout generations of my family) the legitimate wife of my Great X 3 grandfather Lazaro Palombella.
Infomation I already knew about, however, I was getting greedy I thought it was giving me information relating to Nunziata's father's wife. Ah well untill the next set of films arriving at the local LDS centre.

Many thanks
Mark

Mark
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

the "dichiarante" is the father declaring the baby... so informant is right( by Essgee!!)... the first name of wife is Nunziata Di Gioia late Maurangelo ( Di Gioia) ...so I read... regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH