D'aquino family/avellino

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
vinnie1772

D'aquino family/avellino

Post by vinnie1772 »

Hi All,

1st I would love to say thanks to everyone here, I think this is a great site.
This is also my 1st post here so yay to me!! LOL

Ok Seriously, I am researching my family and i'm kind of stuck. I'm not really sure how to proceed.

My GreatGrandfather emigrated here from sicily. I have all the eliis island stuff. I also have his birth cert. Now, on the birth cert there is no parents listed... The story goes my GGGrandfather held some office, like a magistrate, and got a woman pregnant, my GGGranmother... Well my GGrandfather was given to a lady who took care of "wayward" kids. I believe her last name was scarlino. Now my GGrandfather is named Tommasso D'aquino (D'aquino given to him because he was born on st. thomas aquanas day) In his obit it lists his parents as having the last name avellino, I can post thier names later as i do not have them in front of me right now. I have also heard whispered rumors of my GGrandfather having a brother "Andy" Avellino. So, i can't find any D'aquino info before my GGrandfather because i dont believe any exists relating to my family, but i cant find any information on Avellino's either.
misbris
Master
Master

Re: D'aquino family/avellino

Post by misbris »

Is this your ggrandfather?

First Name: Tomaso
Last Name: D'Aquino
Ethnicity: Italy, Italian South
Last Place of Residence: Calatafuni
Date of Arrival: Jun 07, 1907
Age at Arrival: 28y Gender: M Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Francesca
Port of Departure: Palermo
Manifest Line Number: 0011
vinnie1772

Post by vinnie1772 »

Yeah thats him, I\Thats the info from ellis Island, I have that info. and theres also an error, he is from calatafimi, not calatafuni, if u view the annotations on ellis islands page under that manifest, you'll see i added an annotation correcting the info.
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Vinnie

Did you get the birth certificate from the LDS microfilms or did you send to calatafimi for it? Can you post it?

Elizabeth
vinnie1772

Post by vinnie1772 »

It came from calatafimi... i can post it, but it may take me a day or 2.
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

If it's just a typed certificate with his name and birthdate on it then no need to post.

The reason I asked the question is that my cousin requested a birth certificate from our town in Italy. She did this before I got the microfilms and they sent her the birth certificate that only had the persons name and birth date on it. It didn't include the other information that the original certificates have. So when I got the microfilms I found the ORIGINAL certificate and sent it to her. The originals have alot of information on them including parents and grandparents names and if the child was not legitamate etc.

So I think if it's only typed with the name and date then you need to order the microfilms that have the birth acts for calatafimi. Go to their website and find a research center near you

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... et_fhc.asp

I took the liberty of searching what LDS films you would want. The first two are the churches and the third is the civil registration. Just look to the left after you go to the link it will have the dates for baptisms, Tomaso was born about 1880 I believe so those would be the films you're interested in and then look to the right and it will give you the FHL number to order. The civil records work the same way. If it were me, I'd make sure to order the civil records of birth acts (if nothing else) that include the year 1880 plus or minus a few years.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... lesiastici++

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... lesiastici++

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... +Calatafim++

Hope this helps, sorry my post was so long.

Elizabeth