Naturalization papers?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
travele799

Naturalization papers?

Post by travele799 »

Hello I just returned from a great trip to Sicily. I met my family and got all the documents I need to start applying for cizenship. All except the naturalization papers. I think I found a listing on the NARA. Can I just print a copy of this from the website or do I have to get an official copy? Do the NARA sell offical copies?

Thanks for all the help in advance.
AnotherCitizenToBe
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Naturalization papers?

Post by AnotherCitizenToBe »

travele799 wrote:Hello I just returned from a great trip to Sicily. I met my family and got all the documents I need to start applying for cizenship. All except the naturalization papers. I think I found a listing on the NARA. Can I just print a copy of this from the website or do I have to get an official copy? Do the NARA sell offical copies?

Thanks for all the help in advance.
NARA will not certify records so they cannot be used with your application. But, get them anyway - they are inexpensive and fast (turnaround usually in 10 days or less).

Once you have the NARA copy in your possession, determine which court, city, and county the naturalization took place in. Contact the court and ask where the court's archives are stored.

In my case, I was able to obtain certified copies of my grandfather's papers from the Westchester County, NY archives in a matter of days for a very small fee ($20?, I don't recall exactly).

I am still waiting for the backup copy I ordered "just in case" from USCIS. My request was entered into their system on Apr 26, 2007 and a written reply to a recent status request indicates that, "Your request is currently number 57934 on the list of 82015 pending cases to be worked."

Keep in mind that, because I already had copies in my possession, I was able to give USCIS complete detail including dates, case number, court info, etc. In fact, I think I even sent photocopies along with my FOIA request.

Our government at work... :x
travele799

Post by travele799 »

I have found my ggf naturalization record on nara and have the petition number... they say they will certify this record. Will a certified copy from NARA be sufficient?
AnotherCitizenToBe
Rookie
Rookie

travele799 wrote:I have found my ggf naturalization record on nara and have the petition number... they say they will certify this record. Will a certified copy from NARA be sufficient?
I mis-spoke in my earlier message; what I meant to say was that NARA will not certify that a record *does not* exist.

If NARA does have records, they will certify them as copies of the official record and I believe they are acceptable to the consulate. Keep in mind that you must have the "Oath of Allegiance" page, fully executed with the date and certificate number. Since NARA does not have a copy of the actual citizenship certificate, this page is used to prove the exact date on which naturalization occurred. From what I have read on these boards, the consulates will accept the Oath of Allegiance in lieu of the actual citizenship certificate.
travele799

Post by travele799 »

Thank you for responding so quickly. How do I determine if NARA has the Oath of Allegiance?
AnotherCitizenToBe
Rookie
Rookie

travele799 wrote:Thank you for responding so quickly. How do I determine if NARA has the Oath of Allegiance?
It appears (at least in my case) that the Oath... was printed on the back side of the Petition. Therefore, I assume that you will get both, the only question being whether the Oath was actually executed.
travele799

Post by travele799 »

Thanks... I will send away for the certified copy of the petition and then send all the info to the embassy and see what they have to say!
NOLA
Rookie
Rookie

Post by NOLA »

Hi,

Yes, the Petition from the court in Brooklyn, NY, showed my Grandfather taking his Oath of Allegiance in l921, signed by Judge Kelly.