How far did my ancestors travel?

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
Brusatto

How far did my ancestors travel?

Post by Brusatto »

Because our family has little knowledge of either maternal or paternal ancestors, I recently had DNA tests. I have heard from 2 gentlemen who have high resolution matches, one of them is a perfect match. We may not find close links at this time. My question is, the person with the exact match of my mtdna lives in England and I have always considered myself almost totally Italian. This was a pleasant surprise to both of us. Since then, I have discovered that there are many Italians in England. (and maybe many English in Italy!)
Could someone explain any natural or historical events which enabled this process of emigration which in our case probably would have taken place thousands of years ago. Hope I am making sense. Thanks!
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: How far did my ancestors travel?

Post by PeterTimber »

One of the reasons among many and significant is that by the time Rome recalled its legions from Roman Britain after more than 100 years of occupation, its ranks were filled with local british, scottish and Dutch recruits while the officers remained Roman. These recruits, their families and many others who joined them were first sent to Rome to be reconstituted as the 10th legion. This 10th legion was later sent to fight the Jewish wars arouind 70AD I believe. In any event there were many veterans, their families, war wounded etc who were then resettled in a Roman version of the GI Bill in Abruzzo. The capital of which was named Aquila inhonor of the legions. The sponsors of the Roman GI bill were the Cafus brother and when these immigrants from Britain settled in Abruzzo the local inhabitants were dismayed by the gross manners and anti social behavior that they were referred to as CAFONI (the origin of the word) after the Senators.

These Roman soldiers were mostly light skinned, blue eyes, tall and blonde etc etc. and their desendants in Abruzzo today can be seen with these characteristics in the Abruzzo region. =Peter=
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

Brusatto wrote: Could someone explain any natural or historical events which enabled this process of emigration which in our case probably would have taken place thousands of years ago. Hope I am making sense. Thanks!
Another possibility, and one which many of us fail to consider when comparing the results from DNA testing (especially in the Paternal line) is that in the span of hundreds of years a wife might pass off the child of a liason as that of her husband. While we may be a bit disturbed by this likelihood, the odds are we do not descend from everyone in our written family tree in the biological sense.

I refer you to this very interesting article entitled:

Genetic Genealogy and Non-Paternal Events

here is a relevant quote:

The article cites Bennett Greenspan, of Family Tree DNA, as stating that “any project that has more than 20 or 30 people in it is likely to have an oops in it.â€
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Brusatto

You may also be interested in this website or in contacting Louis (who is a friend and member here). He heads the Calabrian DNA project and perhaps can answer some of your questions.

http://www.calabriadna.com/

Great link James. Thanks. I enjoyed reading the article and can't wait to go through it all.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The inquirer wanted to know about natural and historical events which enabled this (his) process of emigration which took place thousands of years ago. Thus for us contemporary luminaries 2000 years meets the criteria. =Peter=
Brusatto

Post by Brusatto »

Thank you all for your insights and references.I should mention that I am a she and my two matches are he's so I have no Y DNA comparisons only mtDNA. I would not be overly surprised or upset if an oops appeared in the family tree. The fact that I exist and have had a great life supercedes all else.
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

Brusatto wrote: The fact that I exist and have had a great life supercedes all else.
That is a beautiful statement and I wholeheartedly agree!

Jim
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

In the absence of any information I erred in the favor of my gender.I interpreted the words "natural or Historical" to have a a more orthodox meaning in the absence of any information to the contrary. However, I too am favorably disposed toward human beings rather than human components. Genetics has its place. =Peter=-
Aether
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Aether »

Dear Peter,
I am fascinated by Brusatto's post and all the subsequent! I have a tremendous curiosity on subjects either historical, or scientific! I wonder about the opinion of genetecists. And, how good the Lab? I have in mind people like some of the laureates - Led. , Kron. etc. I would not get very excited about one marker! About the "oops" in paternity lines your are so right - just think about 1800's England! Etc. etc.
I must admitt some curiosity about my DNA, even if I have a very complete tree , but... nothing like going back to Lucy!!!
Give me some time...I never rush into groups...or accept ideas quickly...
Aether :wink:
"Fiori di grano.
Amici piu' di prima saremo;
Amici piu' di prima da lontano".
Brusatto

Post by Brusatto »

Dear Aether, I was motivated to pursue DNA testing because as far as I know, my family tree goes back only 2 generations and I also wanted to participate in an ongoing anthropology study to track their travels. At this point in history, DNA tests are more usable as anthropological tools than as "finding -a- relative" tools. I "lucked out" with my two high resolution matches, but may not find out in my lifetime where our links are. My brother had his Y DNA tested and so far he has no matches. DNA science will improve and as more people add themselves to the databases more matches will be possible. I am looking to the future as well as the past. I do not understand all that much about DNA, but I am learning a little, and I believe that as time goes on its usefulness in genealogy will improve. At this point in time we have to have realistic expectatiions of DNA testing. Have a great 2008 --Brusatto