Falcieri name - Venice

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Falcieri
Rookie
Rookie

Falcieri name - Venice

Post by Falcieri »

Hello everyone,

I am trying to find out about my Falcieri family from Venice. I come from a famous family of gondoliers who worked at the Palazzo Mocenigo in the 1800s. There were 3 brothers and I only know what happened to one of them because he came to England.

Does anyone know anything about the name as I can find nothing on the internet apart from my family history (Giovanni Battista Falcieri). I am told it is a Venetian name, but that is all.

Many thanks,

Claudia
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Falcieri name - Venice

Post by PeterTimber »

Hi Claudia! The italian suirname dictionary reflects that Falcieri actually spelled Falchieri and its derivation Falci originates in Emilia andnot Venice but is based along with a host of other variations, derviations, alterations all based on the surname FALCO of german origin which crept into Italy thru late latin and Italian dialect. =Peter=
Falcieri
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Falcieri »

Hi Peter,

Thank you, I did not know any of this! I wonder when they came to Venice. My earliest date is 1771 but it will be hard work trying to find the information as I don't even know what bit of Venice to concentrate on! I need to do some more background research first, particuarly with the military records.

What sort of information do you think military cards will give if I can find the one I want?

Many thanks once again, you are very helpful and I am endebted to you for your assistance as it is difficult trying to do the research from England!

Regards,

Claudia
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Claudia have you tried www.findmypast.com? It is an english pay as you go website but they do give initial information free of charge. I found it to be helpful since they give you more than you might expect. =Peter=
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Claudia I took a quick stab at the website and came up with East India register & Army list 1855 John Falcieri and GB Falcieri same register 1873 which was free of charge for me so perhaps you can concentrate on some other aspect of the website that may furnish additonal information without charge but the cost is not very high for each request for information.=Peter=
Falcieri
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Falcieri »

Hello,

Yes I know about this. He worked for the India office 1848 - 1874.

I know all the information about him that is in the public domain and there is a lot. He was quite famous in his time.

The research I am doing is to find his roots and also his family, as I know little about his family back in Venice.

He is a very interesting person and had an amazing life but I am struggling to find out about his family and I want to find out if he has any descendants in Italy still as his direct line which is my line are all in England.

I know one of his brothers worked for Wagner at the Palazzo Vendramin-Calergi in Venice but I don't know when he died or if he was married and had children so I hope to find more Falcieri's in Italy who are connected. I know there are about 30 left in the whole of Italy.

I tried writing to them all some years ago and only got 3 replies but noone thought they were connected, so I keep trying. One day I will find someone.

Many thanks!

Claudia
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

One of the palazzo websites is www.situnescoadriatico.org/index.php?pg=2053. Have you tried asking them if there are any archival records re your family member?

Further I would retry once again to send one letter to each of the 30 persons with a return addressed envelope and a $1.00 token bill for stamps to encourage a reply. That one extra step always works!!!!!=Peter=
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

One of the palazzo websites is www.situnescoadriatico.org/index.php?pg=2053 Have you tried asking them if there are any archival records re your family member?

Further I would retry once again to send one letter to each of the 30 persons with a return addressed envelope and a $1.00 token bill for stamps to encourage a reply. That one extra step always works!!!!!=Peter=
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The address is www situnescoadriatico.org/index.php?pg=2053.

I dropped off the period at the end and it still does not work....?=Peter=
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Claudia better yet go to www.vendramincalergi.com/palazzo
=Peter=
Falcieri
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Falcieri »

Yes I think I will try them all again and see. I tried in the US and Austria but none there at all. I wondered about emmigration.

I have contacted the Vendramin- Calergi but no response and the same from the Mocenigo at San Samuele where my relations were.

I am more hopeful with the state archives, they have always been very helpful at Venice.

Thank you Peter!
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

I don't know if you have seen this manifest, but at least one Falcieri came to the US.

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/passR ... 1538130093
Falcieri
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Falcieri »

Yes I have been trying to find a connection to him but until I can find out more about my ancestors brothers I don't know if I can link him. His father's name is Eugenio.

I have him in my pile of things to follow up on though, and hopefully he might be connected. He also has WW1 registration papers but I cannot access them online where I am.

Regards,

Claudia
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Claudia thsat USA entry for Rodolfo Falcieri on 3/17/1909 comes from
Brentanico, Austria. I suppose you knew this and attempted to contact his father there? By the way The Falcieri were remarkable people. There are 450 references to Falcieri on Google..have you actually went thru each of the entries? I am intrigued about Venetian history. When I was a student in Italy I spent some time in the library inthe greek "geto" library and in those days I was permitted to leaf thru all the acts signed by Napoleon when Venice was ceded to France. =Peter=
albertotosofei

Post by albertotosofei »

Ciao Claudia,
I'm Alberto Toso Fei, from Venice. Hope you can remember me. I would need to contact you about Titta and a project that would take a very long time. write me through www.venetianlegends.it

sorry for the way I used, but I lost your contacts, and find you here.
a presto
A.