moncher from coredo

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
kmoncher

moncher from coredo

Post by kmoncher »

I have been looking for relatives that were still living in Northern Italy during the 1940's and 1950's, my uncle was in the military and visited with family while he was stationed near Italy. He died in the early 1990's and any information about where these relatives lived was known only to him. My Grandfather Guiseppe Moncher came to America in 1913 from Coredo Austria at the age of 19. The story my father was told was that Guiseppe was 14 or 15 on arrival but the ship records say 19. He traveled on the ship La Savoie and the records say he was going to see his cousin Oliva Rainaldo in Stambough, Michigan. The ship records also say he had a sister still in Coredo - Maria Golli. He aslo wrote to a sister that he called Clemantine. What we know he had a brother already in California (Ricardo) that he did see once or twice after coming to America. I am interested in finding any relatives in my Grandfathers family. I have done a few searches in the past and found that the name Moncher is not very common. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thank You.
kmoncher
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

There are 6 Moncher in Italy and 3 are in Coredo. Go to www.paginebianche.it and put Moncher int ehf irst line and Copredo in the third line and click CERCA. The 3 names will show up by name,address and telephone numbers. Peter
kmoncher

Post by kmoncher »

Thanks Peter
I did have a couple of names from a different search I did, but some of the names I found just now are the same as my present family. I guess that is a good sign. Can you give me some ideas as to sending a letter to these people, if I sent it in English do you think they would be able to have someone translate if for them? I would rather have it sent in Italian - do you know how I could go about having my letter re-written from English to Italian?
I have another question, the area where my Grandfather was supposedly born has changed from Austrian to Italian and probably back again in the last 90 years, where would be a place to start to look for birth records for him? Thanks for your help! By the way, I live in northern Wisconsin - I am 2 miles from the Michigan border. There were many families from northern Italy that came to this area, if you know of anyone looking for family that might have come here I might be able to help.
karen
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

English is the second language in Italy so you could send a simple sentence letter to them. if you wish to be more exact go to www.freetranslation.com which is a good translation free or by fee. If you go to the www.comuni.iot and in the lower left put in Coredo where it says comuni (you will see it) and then the next screen will come up with the town name coredo once again and then click that and a screen will come up wioth the town adminsitgration but in the toip where it says "scrive al comune" (write to the town) click that and put in your message putting your name and e-mail at the top in english and ask them where the civil records are located for the name and years you are interested in. The word for Mayor is "sindaco" in case you address it to him in your text. Peter
kmoncher

Post by kmoncher »

Hello again Peter - I have tried both sites that you mentioned and have sent an email to the Mayor and have a letter ready to send to Italy. Hopefully I will find some relatives still in Coredo, it was great to type my letter and have it re-written into Italian. Even if I can't find any family, it was a neat experience writing the letter. Thanks for the suggestion.
karen
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Keep me posted please. Peter
kmoncher

Post by kmoncher »

Peter - I have another question for you. This is an easy one though. When I send my letter, how do I address the envelope. I know this sounds like a dumb question. I received a reply from the Mayor with information on who I need to write to (the Parish Priest) and I want to make sure that I address the envelope in the right order. Following is the information that he gave me, it was all on one line when I received it and I was wondering if I have this in the right order? I have never addressed anything out of the States before and want to do it correctly. Thanks Again. Karen

don Marco Leonardi presso
Parrocchia di Coredo
38010 Coredo (Trento) Italy
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Thats correct and also include a $10.00 bill since the Mormon church suggests a donation to church for searching their records. Its voluntary onm their part and you want to make a good impression. Also include a self addressed envelope in your request as well and tell them you will send more money, if necessary. They will not ask for more but it shows good intentions. Peter
kmoncher

Post by kmoncher »

That was my plan, I have searched for information for other people and know how time consuming it can get. I am more than happy to donate and grateful for everyone who helps others in searching for their relatives, past or present. I will let you know how my search goes.
Karen

I wanted to tell you that when I read the ships manifest of when my Grandfather came from Italy - he had a sister still in Coredo and it looked like her name was Maria Golli, it may have been Polli. Would this name be familiar to the Coredo area? How could I find out. I have found another Moncher-Polli relationship but I don't know if this has anything to do with my family. Thanks in advance. karen
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

The surname is POLLI and while there are nonein Coredo there are 63 in the Province of Trento. Maybe someone in Coredo will know of the surname. Peter
smoncher

Re: moncher from coredo

Post by smoncher »

Hi kmoncher,
were you able to contact someone in coredo?
I live not far from it, and have still relatives there
ciao
stefano