Documents from Mantova

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
edbcedp

Documents from Mantova

Post by edbcedp »

Hi,

I am looking for my grand-grandfather, I know that he came from Italy (probably from Mantova according to my parents).

I saw in this site that a possible document can be found at: Registri dello stato civile, 1714-1910 Mantova (Mantova). Registri di popolazione

But what I would like to know is how to read this document.

My family name is Pagani. They arrive at Brazil 09-Dec-1876 from Italy ship. Persons at family: Antonio Pagani (38 years old), Lelia (35), Aristide (8 and probably my grand-grandfather, I say probably since he change his name to João at Brazil so could have also Giovanni) and others.

Thanks a lot,

Carlos
edbcedp

Re: Documents from Mantova

Post by edbcedp »

Just one more info: they arrived at 09-Dec-1876 in the ship named "Italia" at Brasil from Genova port.

I would like also any possible source to find passports at Italy, do you know any?

Also, I would like to know how to get registers from churchs at Italy, is it possible by net?

Antonio Pagani e Lelia Mori married at Italy, and my g-grandfather born between 1867-68 at Mantona (comuni/province). The name at arrival is Aristide but in old documents the Brazilian name is João (Giovanni at Italy) because of that I think the full name can be Giovanni Aristide Pagani.

Thanks in advance,

Carlos
edbcedp

Post by edbcedp »

One more my: g-grandfather dead was 1920.

I also looking for documents of the father of my g-grandfather Antonio.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Ed I have the record for their arrival in 1876 Antonio Pagani, aged 38 with Ariste, Domenco, Giuditta and Lilia but the record does not show town (comune) of origin in Italy. I will have to look for you. Many people say Mantova is the birth place but sometimes they are in the town that belongs to Mantova Province and say Mantova so people know what part of Italy they come from. But try to find the family from Mantova since some people are born in the city of Mantova and you may be fortunate. =Peter=
edbcedp

Post by edbcedp »

Thanks Peter,

We know only Mantova, from my old parents (in fact the last daughter alive of my g-grand-father). I know that can be from other comuna from Mantova province but I think I have to start at Mantova comuni.

I saw in the website familysearch that some notes are available in microfilm but all out of my interest range 1867-1868 that I think is the born date.

All you can add will be so much appreciatted.

Thanks a lot,

Carlos Ed.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

You have to know the comune of origin then we can go to the province for any additonal records. As you know Italy became a nation in 1872 and since he left 4 later for Brazil you may be fortunate if there is a reciord for him in the Italian army in Milano which has jurisdiction for Mantova.

Send an e-mail to CEDOC_MILANO@ESERCITO.DIFESA.IT and request any record for Antonio Pagan born 1838 Mantova province and his town of origin. =Peter=
edbcedp

Post by edbcedp »

Thanks Peter,

I will send a letter ( I presume written in Italian, so I have to read the proper forum :-), also from my investigations I saw a message posted by Edmondo in this forum (but I not sure if any of them are my ancestor or relative):

The Garibaldi's campaign in Southern Italy

This list with 1089 people given by the Ministry of War was published in the "Giornale Militare" (Military Journal) in 1864 as a result of an enquiry by a State Committee. This Committee had been created to determine, through proofs and witnesses, the names of the volunteers who actually landed at Marsala on May 11, 1860.

SURNAME, First Names, Fathers Name, Place of birth, Province
PAGANI, Giovanni, Lelio, Tagliuno, Bergamo
PAGANI, Antonio, Giuseppe, Como
PAGANI, Costantino, Giovanni Battista, Borgomanero, Novara

BR,

Carlos
edbcedp

Post by edbcedp »

Also in my investigation I know the arrival information like that:

Family group arrived in 09/12/1876 (Name of the ship) "Italia":
• Pagani Antonio (age 38)
• Pagani Aristide (age 8)
• Pagani Domenico
• Pagani Giuditta
• Pagani Lilia (age 35)
• Pagani Teresa

But no origin :-(
edbcedp

Post by edbcedp »

I tried also the link: http://www.familysearch.org using Mantova, Lombardia and other key words but looks like that the 1867-1868 are not covered by Italian docs neither by Austrian docs. These years were very confused there since there was a war against Austria.

I tried also the link http://ricerchefamiliari.lombardinelmondo.org/ with Pagani Surname but no info from my family at all.
luizgrp

Post by luizgrp »

Hi Carlos,

Did you have any luck? I'm looking for the same documents.

BR,

Gustavo