Can't remember website translator

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
lilbees
Master
Master

Can't remember website translator

Post by lilbees »

I know reference has been made several times in this forum to a free translation site but canot remember the name.

Help thanks

lilbees
pink67
Master
Master

Re: Can't remember website translator

Post by pink67 »

Hi Lillbees...

Perhaps it was Babelfish...?

http://babelfish.altavista.com/

Laura :D
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

That's it. Thanks Laura appreciate it.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

There is another one that also works well and that is www.freetranslation.com. It is my favorite for people such as yourself. =Peter=
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Peter, you are soooooooooo nice. Thank you.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

lilbees wrote:I know reference has been made several times in this forum to a free translation site but canot remember the name.

Help thanks

lilbees
I personally don't trust the automatic translations.
One of the sites mentioned earlier gives the following translation to your quoted sentence:
"So che il riferimento è stato fatto a parecchie riprese in questo foro a un luogo di traduzione libero ma non può ricordare il nome. L'aiuto ringrazia" :cry:
This is very bad Italian and only a cute person understands what you mean.

If you now translate back from Italian to English, you get:
"I know that the reference was done to several renewals in this hole to a free place of translation but cannot remember the name. The help thanks"
:wink: :lol:
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

liviomoreno wrote:
lilbees wrote:I know reference has been made several times in this forum to a free translation site but canot remember the name.

Help thanks

lilbees
I personally don't trust the automatic translations.
One of the sites mentioned earlier gives the following translation to your quoted sentence:
"So che il riferimento è stato fatto a parecchie riprese in questo foro a un luogo di traduzione libero ma non può ricordare il nome. L'aiuto ringrazia" :cry:
This is very bad Italian and only a cute person understands what you mean.

If you now translate back from Italian to English, you get:
"I know that the reference was done to several renewals in this hole to a free place of translation but cannot remember the name. The help thanks"
:wink: :lol:
Folks - listen to Liviomoreno here...he has hit the nail right on the head. So often these electronic translators turn out nothing less than gobbledegook and a translation done by one can be spotted a mile away :roll: . A machine has NO heart and is unable to 'feel' the context in which a sentence/phrase is written!
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Hi all, I do appreciate all of your input on the machine translations and I do agree with you completely.

I should have explained why I desired the information.

I was on a website, one in French and another in Italian. I needed a general idea of what info was listed and possibly how to use it.

The suggestions of Babelfish, etc. work great for that but when I write a letter I use a book of phrases and some of the forms letters suggested on this site.

But again, thank you all for your help. Always there a novice in a pinch.

lilbees
yooper38

Post by yooper38 »

Thats all well and good but there has to be a pretty good site that does a good job of translating. Isn't there? Paul
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

If you want to pay $50 for the "good translation". We were talking about free sites.

lilbees