Surname: Vilorio

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Orestes

Surname: Vilorio

Post by Orestes »

Great board, glad to be a part of it. I have been searching everywhere for a very longtime on where my lastname originates.
If anyone can help it would be great.

Thanks.
Essgee
Master
Master

Re: Surname: Vilorio

Post by Essgee »

Most of the name is Spanish or Cuban. So we need a bit of your background to work out if they are truly Italian or not.
Where were you born, name of father and mother. Where were they born?

One thing, there is a name di Iorio...if you write it long hand it can appear to be vi Iorio or Vilorio.

Give us more info to go on, Orestes, and we what check it all out for you.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Vilorio is a surname of hispanic ( Castilla)origin; maybe coming from word:
vilorio (or bilorio)= Persona alta, delgada y desgarbada

suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Orestes

Post by Orestes »

My parents are both Cuban, my mother being mostly Spanish and African decent.
On my father didn't know much about his father, he died when he was only two years old.
He never knew that side of the family but he says he was always told his grandfather was Italian. I was also informed that the original was Vittorio and not Vilorio.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

well this your new infos abt italian heritage and abt probable Vittorio surname could be helpful, but lacking the first name, birthdate and any other helpful infos that you can give us.....
Vittorio is a italian first name as also a surname..... regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
SirTThom

Post by SirTThom »

The surname Vilorio is believed to have derived from Juan de Villoria, a Spanish royal dignatory of the 16th century. He was appointed Marshal of the Island of Hispaniola and executor to the property of Diego Colon, the firstborn of Christopher Columbus and his wife Filipa Moniz. According to custom, ones surname was generally the town or village from which one was born (e.g. Jesus of Nazareth, Thales di Mileto, Katerina de Aragon, etc.) . Thus under this theory, Juan de Villoria would have been born in Villoria, a municipality of the province of Salamanca, located in the autonomous community of Castile-Leon of Spain. Little is known of Juan de Villoria before his arrival in the Island of Hispaniola, today the Dominican Republic.

Since most of the Spanish colonists moved around and settled among the New World, and being that Cuba is a neighboring island of the Dominican Republic, it may be possible that your last name also derived from an offspring of Juan de Villoria. Today, descendents of Juan de Villoria can be traced in Venezuela, but now under the names Viloria and/or Vilorio.
Orestes

Post by Orestes »

This was very helpful thank you very much.