Advice on who to hire to find a birth certificate

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
corneto

Advice on who to hire to find a birth certificate

Post by corneto »

Hello to all. I wanted to update you on my search and ask a question. Since I was last here I have found a tremendous amount of important information thanks to everyone's advice. The most important item yet was a reply back with a copy of my great grandfathers naturalization papers from 1936. There was even a picture of him! Along with many missing details most importanly his date of birth and place of birth. They are all notorized and official so hopefully I can use them in my request for citizenship. The other items I have found and ordered will be here soon: his death certificate and his marriage certificate. The one thing I don't have is his birth certificate. I took your advice and went to the Mormon church and requested microfiche for his date of birth and they came in yesterday. I went to the church and found the records for the dates he provided on his naturalization papers:

Letterio Corneto
Born in Messina, Italy
Date of birth: May 17th, 1865
Entry into US from Naples, Italy to NYC, NY Jan 10th 1899 on the SS California

I found the records for Messina on this day and sadly there is no record of his birth. I've looked for months around the date of birth also. So I am at a dead end here. I was wondering if anyone had any advice from here? Do I hire someone in Italy to see if they could find it? Would they be able to do anything more than what I have done? Who would you guys recommend? You've all been so helpful that I would trust your judgement.

Thanks SO much for your help as always,

Anthony Corneto
Essgee
Master
Master

Re: Advice on who to hire to find a birth certificate

Post by Essgee »

Look at other years. Often, the ages were off. The month is probably correct. Look for other years on the same film if available. Order another film of earlier dates.

Or write to the comune. Both should be less expensive then hiring someone for just this single task. I don't know the specifics of dual citizenship, but you will have to get an official copy, I believe, from the comune for your needs...so mayb best to get right to it!

Others will reply with more info, no doubt.

Good luck
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

I would write directly to the comune for the papers. I spent forever looking for a birth act for my grandmother (I had the correct dates and comune) but I couldn't find it. I finally just wrote for it and it was there all along but it somehow got missed when the films were microfilmed.

Then again, you can always ask for a 5 or 10 year search (I have done this before) and something should come back. Hopefully this helps.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

The records that were filmed were the second copies sent by the town to the State. It's always possible that they missed sending one or more.
Whe writing be sure to request a certificate for citizenship purposes. You might also request an 'fotocopia originale' is you want to further your family tree.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
corneto

Post by corneto »

Italysearcher wrote:The records that were filmed were the second copies sent by the town to the State. It's always possible that they missed sending one or more.
Whe writing be sure to request a certificate for citizenship purposes. You might also request an 'fotocopia originale' is you want to further your family tree.
Can you tell me who where I would write to request the certificate I need? He was born in Messina, May 17th, 1865.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Comune di Messina
Piazza Unione Europea
CAP 98100
Telefono 090-7721
Fax 090-7722473
urp@comune.messina.it
Good Luck. There was a major earthquake and tidal wave that devastated Messina in 1908. It is possible that the records did not survive.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.