suanj? Obtaining *my* Italian vital records

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

suanj? Obtaining *my* Italian vital records

Post by johnnyonthespot »

My wife and I have recently been blessed with Italian citizenship jure sanguinis.

I would like to obtain copies of our "Italian" birth and marriage records, as well as certificati di cittadinanza. Can you suggest the best way to go about this? Can it be done through our local consulate (New York) or must I write to the comune?

If the comune, how should the requests be worded?
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: suanj? Obtaining *my* Italian vital records

Post by PeterTimber »

Go to www.mangeruca.com for italian langiage form letters and addresses of the Uffico di Stato Civile in the city,town or village of origin. =Peter=
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

PeterTimber wrote:Go to www.mangeruca.com for italian langiage form letters and addresses of the Uffico di Stato Civile in the city,town or village of origin. =Peter=
Thanks, Peter.

I am aware of that site (and others) with form letter generators, however none of them deal well with this particular situation: I want to obtain *my own* birth/marriage/citizenship certificates. I fear that a) the rules for obtaining these current, non-genealogical documents may be substantially different than those for long-dead relatives (the rules are certainly different here in the States), and b) some of the consolate websites seem to indicate that "Italians living abroad" should get these docs through the local consulate's AIRE office.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The website does not generate a form letter it has one already printed up and all you have to do is fill inthe names and datesand mail it if not in your own name then just a relaticve will do????......or am I missing something here??=Peter=
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

PeterTimber wrote:The website does not generate a form letter it has one already printed up and all you have to do is fill inthe names and datesand mail it if not in your own name then just a relaticve will do????......or am I missing something here??=Peter=
Well, as I indicated, here in the States, the requirements for obtaining vital records for persons still living (or likely to be living) are much stricter than for persons long-dead. Perhaps there is a special form to be filled out; perhaps proof of identity is required, etc. And again, perhaps it has to be done through my local consulate, as this page at the Boston consulate seems to indicate (though the New York consulate does not have a similar page...).
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I cannot respond further since you do not appear to have exhausted your options in obtaining these documents but perhaps a telephone call to the NY consulate will resolve your question one way or the other. In any event we are all here to assist you. Lots of luck. =Peter=
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

hmm.... I know that is necessary some months for obtain it... normally after that the italian citizenship is ok, it is necessary time before of obtain italian documents, because the burocracy is no fast in Italy... I think is necessary some months, but in any case the request can be made also now, directlly in the office (Ufficio Anagrafe) in Town Hall of italian place... regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH