is this an actual name?

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
fredoniapeaches
Rookie
Rookie

is this an actual name?

Post by fredoniapeaches »

With help from the town historian, via telephone...he helped my locate my great great grandmother, Carmela. the record he was looking at was hard for him to read. but he thought it said that her father's name was "Nobis"...that doesn't sound like any name i've ever heard. so I'm sure it's incorrect. what could look like that...but be an actual Italian name for a man?
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: is this an actual name?

Post by suanj »

Nobis? Nobis is latin spell=we..you sure abt Nobis?
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
fredoniapeaches
Rookie
Rookie

Post by fredoniapeaches »

not really sure about it at all. the man i spoke with was elderly and was having trouble reading the record. that why i ask if there is anything close to what he thought it read that might be an actual name.

if you were reading an old record written in poor hand writting and it looked like Nobis...what might it actually be??!! there i think i said it a bit better that time.

sorry i confuse myself when i speak!! oy.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Nobis is indeed a surname in good standing in Italy. There are some 62 cities,towns and villages mostly concentrated in Campania and Lombardia regions. www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi for distribution particulars.

The Italian surname dictionary has no listing for Nobis nor is it related to Nobili which is listed as an Italian surname. I even took a look at my Latin dictionary with all its byzantine grammar wirthout success. =Peter=
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

Can't you have a copy/pic of that act? I think it's the only way we can help you (If the man that helps you is not used to read old documents, he could have confused even all the letters!)

Luca
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

we will only know the name is not spelled correctly if inquiries to the town of origin are rejected as not being known surname in that place. =Peter=